Pea shortage?

Chauffour

I've had the very same problem in southern Normandie. [:-))] It's bizarre - I'm addicted to pea purée (cooked with a couple of shallots, cream and then whizzed) with fish and shellfish dishes and I've had to go cold turkey. Hmmm... pea purée would probably be good with cold turkey too...

Anyway, TOH is in England at the moment and I've sent him off with a cold box and some ice blocks so he can bring back... bags of frozen petits pois...[blink]

The world's gone mad...

The problem is being caused by traders in Pea Futures having aquired all of next years production. What happened, basically, is one of the guys on the Ontario Futures Market was heard to say " I'm going for a pee."

Unfortunately all the other traders assumed he'd said pea and decided that peas could be the next BIG THING.  [:-))]

No, no that's all wrong. It's a well known secret that all the peas are going to China where the world's largest pea trader (known as the 'Peaking') has created a shortage and prices are expected to go through the 150 dollars a barrel barrier.  Expect rationing soon.

In view of the above posts, I am going to make a mass purchase of said macédoine de légumes and sort the content of the bags in separate bags of individual genre of veg.

I intend to flood the market with bits of carrots and chopped green beans until I get the correct market price.

I will take the peas to the max.

[quote user="Clair"]In view of the above posts, I am going to make a mass purchase of said macédoine de légumes and sort the content of the bags in separate bags of individual genre of veg.

I intend to flood the market with bits of carrots and chopped green beans until I get the correct market price.

I will take the peas to the max.

[/quote]

I think you are already taking the peeese to the max[:D]

Catalpa - Why not buy some dried split peas and make some pease pudding? It takes a bit longer as you have to soak the peas overnight, but you could then make it with the other ingredients you mention ie onions and finally creme fraiche. Goes well with fish too.

I'm assuming you can still find dried peas in the shops.

I know you made the suggestion with the best of intentions - and thank you - but pease pudding and fresh (albeit frozen [:P]) pea purée are very different. Pea purée has all the fresh, green sweetness of the pea and pease pudding... well... not so much. [;-)]

[quote user="Chauffour"]

in Dordogne we can't find frozen peas, we tried every supermarket...

why is that? is it the same all over France? or Europe? 

should Mr. Brown ask the OPEC (Organization of the Pea Exporting Countries) to release more peas? [:D]

[/quote]

Funny that myself and the wife wanted to buy frozen peas but cold only find mixed frozen veg... Mmmm  I wonder if maybe we are jsut being too British.    Luckiky I hate peas and frozens too.

My suggestion for pease pudding was a bit tongue in cheek, although I do like it myself.

I've never managed to find any good frozen peas here, like the Birds Eye ones in Hull where the factory was almost on our doorstep.

As for pea shortage, I noticed a neighbour was growing peas and the plants are looking very poorly. Perhaps it's due to the damp cold weather. I haven't seen any fresh peas in the shops either.

At lunch on Sunday I was told by a French woman that there was a problem with peas because the French will only buy them if they are perfectly round and that this was causing a problem with supplies. I thought she was joking.

Hoddy

Does anyone have any ideas on how best to preserve or store shallots?  They are very expensive in the shops at the moment which is odd as they are in season.  I have a great crop of them and presume I can store them in a similar fashion to onions.

Any advice would be a great help.

Thanks

We haven't been able to buy any around the Chateauroux / Issoudun area for ages either.  Then a few weeks ago we saw soom in Auchan at Chateauroux, you wouldn't believe how anyone of 50+ years could go a bit daft over a packet of frozen petits pois, but we hadn't eaten any since February I think.  Isn't it silly what you start to miss?

FairyNuff

[blink]

[quote user="Clair"]Lori, I have several bags in the freezer.

How badly do you want peas?[;-)]

[/quote]

If you were closer Clair, I'd stop by and buy a bag from you if you were selling.   It really has been a long while since they've been in the store.  Next time I shop, I'm going to ask what the problem is.