fromage

odile

[quote user="woolybananasbrother"]Cheddar (old matured) with fruit cake… [/quote]Oh yes.  Or even very old Stilton with cold Christmas Pudding.

[quote user="woolybananasbrother"]really ripe…  made from totally untouched milk… [/quote]This says it all, really.

Hard cheeses - Beaufort, Comte, some cheddar, Wensleydale, Caerphilly, Cheshire

French cheeses - Pont l'Eveque, Boursin plus Reblochon as Tartiflette and Raclette

Pecorino, Cacciacavalo, Provalone, Parmesan, Grano Padano

Feta - especially with olives and garlic in herby oil

With hard cheeses, they are fine as sandwiches or on crackers.  I find that French cheeses only work for me at the end of a meal with French bread and a glass of red wine.  I couldn't eat them as a sandwich.  I can tolerate some other French cheeses as a cheese course, but I'm mostly not keen.

I once travelled by place with a ripe Reblochon - grease paper x2, cling film x 2, foil x 2, plastic bag all sealed - you should have seen the faces other when the overhead locker was opened! Tartiflette lives OK. I mentionned Gruyere because few people know about Comte - but it is the same... because of AC cannot be called Gruyere unless made in the Gruyere region. by the way, same now applies to raclette cheese, which can oly be called such in Valais Siwtzerland. In the UK I live in the middle of Stilton making - a stonesthrow from Quenby Hall where it was (possibly) first made. We go to Southern Tuscany, to an agroturismo where they make their own Pecorino but it dosn't do it for me, I must say.

Once bought a lovely cheese in the market at Trouville called  Coup de pied au  *** - the name was better than the cheese.

Post edited by the moderators. Please do not post messages which contain explicit language or vulgarities (whether written in French, English or any other language.

I love cheese but recently have stopped eating it because I have to keep my chlorlesterol level down. (how do you spell that word?)

Which tasty cheeses are low in fat? Maybe I could just have a taste of a few.

[quote user="Patf"]

(how do you spell that word?)

[/quote]Cholesterol - the more the merrier in cheese imo so I can't help you with the low fat kind!

My personal cheat, Pat, is to stick words I can't figure out how to spell into google.  Big problem is it does nothing for all the words I think I can spell but actually can't![:-))]

Pat, have you been to the doctor about your cholesterol? A friend with high cholesterol was put on a no-cheese (etc.) diet by his doctor, but only on alternate days. So, he can eat cheese, every other day. I think that's really creative. French doctors know that they just can't hope to keep a Frenchman away from his camembert...[:)]

Also, if you follow the now very trendy (here in France) chrono-diet (régime chrono), you will find that your body can deal with the cholesterol-producing fats in cheese best, in the morning. Then it means you can have Roquefort on toast for breakfast, or rillettes d'oie on toast - but not at any other time of the day.

There is research that shows promising results with chrono-thérapie (medication taken at a particular time of the day has increased effectiveness for smaller amounts, etc.). For example, sugar can be processed by the body around gouter-time - but no other time of the day. Sorry this is digressing from cheese.

For low-fat and yet tasty cheese, I like cancoillotte, which is more like fondue, a franc-comtoise spécialité. It comes in a tub, looks gooey, and you can drip it over baked potatoes or have it on bread.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancoillotte

[quote user="odile"]I once travelled by place with a ripe Reblochon - grease paper x2, cling film x 2, foil x 2, plastic bag all sealed - you should have seen the faces other when the overhead locker was opened!
Once bought a lovely cheese in the market at Trouville called  Coup de pied au  *** - the name was better than the cheese.

Post edited by the moderators. Please do not post messages which contain explicit language or vulgarities (whether written in French, English or any other language. [/quote]   

My brother-in-law used to send us Vacherin from Switzerland so we could make fondue the Swiss way.  It was before the days of vacuum packing and it would have been bought loose and wrapped in foil, plastic etc, but the postman would turn up at the door and I would know straight away what he was delivering!

Would the obliterated word be the beginning of the French word for shorts?  Or the English word for a pantajupe?

[quote user="odile"]what is/are your favourite/s? For moi - Gruyere and Stilton!
[/quote]

Dairylea.  Anthea Turner did a nice little apero recipe the other day.  Take a few slices of Mothers Pride and cut out little circles with a glass.  Toast them then take a tube of Primula and apply a swirl then garnish with a prawn and a teeny triangle of cucumber.

Do you think the French would fall for that?

[quote user="sweet 17"]Sugar at gouter time sounds all right to me.  So, I can have a nice slice of tourte with butter and jam or butter and honey..mm....mm[/quote]

Well, hmmmm let's see.... it shouldn't really be refined carbohydrate, so forget sugar/honey etc.... it can be any fruit/fruit juices, dried fruit, and NO BUTTER - you have had your butter for breakfast, remember????

If you are genuinely (or even slightly) interested, this chrono-diet is currently being prescribed by French dieticians and nutritionists. Maybe it is just a flavour-of-the-month tendency, but I have seen this way of eating work amazingly well, with someone who was particularly resistant to any kind of dieting previously. The nice thing is that once a week you can have a "normal" meal of your choice. The other nice thing is that no sensible food is prohibited - just limited quantities, and specific timing.

[:D] Here is the link to the "inventor" of the diet, an Italian doctor.

http://www.dottormaurotodisco.it/libro_pesogiusto_eng.htm

Apologies for this brief hijack of thread.

5-element - Thanks for the suggestion for low fat cheese. I'll ask at the cheese stall in the market.

Yes I've been to the Dr. Had stents put in, on medication etc. Just trying to be careful. Don't want to go through all that again.

CHOLESTEROL - must remember. Thanks Coops [:)]

mmmmm,

1. Roquefort

2. Manchego

3. Cheddar (proper)

and then, in no particular order: Ossau-Iraty, St. Nectaire, Beaufort, Emmenthal (including the better French "Emmenthal"s), Laguiole (especially the "Grand Aubrac" made only during that part of the year that the cows have been munching the wild flowers growing in the Aubrac pastures), Salers, Pérail, Gorgonzola (the proper stuff), Gubbeen (even found at Xavier in Toulouse!), Milleen, Lincolnshire Poacher, and others too numerous to mention, aside from a new one I came across just yesterday - Bamalou.

[quote user="odile"]so sorry, but that was (still is, just checked with a friend from Normany) the name of the cheese. It is not called coup de pied au derriere!
[/quote]

Odile, it's the forum anti swearing software autmatically kicking in.

You can subvert it by putting a gap or a full stop in the middle of the 'offending' word so the daftware doesn't recognise it as being naughty.[:)]

Does that mean we would only be able to discuss some of the Montrachet grand crus?

Le Montrachet (Chassagne) and Montrachet (Puligny) as well as Chevalier-Montrachet would be OK but the other three (B*-Montrachet, Bienvenues-B*-Montrachet, and Criots-B*-Montrachet) would presumably all be kicked out by the software ...

[quote user="Just Katie"]

[quote user="odile"]what is/are your favourite/s? For moi - Gruyere and Stilton!
[/quote]

Dairylea.  Anthea Turner did a nice little apero recipe the other day.  Take a few slices of Mothers Pride and cut out little circles with a glass.  Toast them then take a tube of Primula and apply a swirl then garnish with a prawn and a teeny triangle of cucumber.

Do you think the French would fall for that?

[/quote]

Well I wouldn't. but since there is such a range of apericubes in France, which are just flavoured la vache qui rit, perhaps the French would!  It surprises me sometimes that with their exacting ideas about good cuisine (which I fully support) they will eat apericubes and that awful surimi stuff.  But then, the French students I used to deal with used to return home with a couple of loaves of Mother's Pride, simply because then, it was probably better than French pain de mie.  Personally, I think there is no substitute for real cheese, real bread and real seafood.  Gosh, the last time I had la vache qui rit, it was with stale bread and vodka for breakfast, as it was all we had available having got an early morning train to go to Dracula's castle in Romania - 1985!

I was reding something about Emmenthal and came across a rather nice cross-reference to a cheesy syllogism with holes in it:

• Plus il y a de fromage, plus il y a de trous ;
  • or plus il y a de trous, moins il y a de fromage ;
  • donc plus il y a de fromage, moins il y a de fromage.

by the way Emmenthal is a lovely region of Switzerland. they do make excellent cheese - but the stuff made under that name in France is just like welliboots on a bad day, chewy and tasteless. In USA when you buy anything with cheese, they always ask "cheddar or Swiss?' and my answer always is ' if you can get me Cheddar or Swiss, I'll happily have either. Otherwise I'll just have the tasteless stuff as usual!.

No, some of the French stuff is quite good, though you have to hunt for it and I don't think it is ever as good as the stuff from the Emme valley. Allegedly, "Emmenthal" is also produced in Austria and Germany (well, Emmental is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland) as well as copies in Denmark (Samsoe), Finland (Finlandia Swiss) and, I have read, Ireland and the Netherlands ...