Redbull

sparky

On the Jeremy Vine show last week one of the items featured was the fact that a school head (in the UK) has banned high energy drinks from their school i.e. Redbull. One reply went something like, Well as it is banned in many European countries including France there must be concern as to the effect of Redbull. I have always taken Redbull on holiday with me for the long drive. Am I breaking the law in any way.[8-)]

Redbull was banned in France up to a few weeks ago. The ban related to the level of taurine in the drink.

A taurine-free version of Redbull (with arginine) was created for the French market recently.

Faced with a lawsuit from Redbull, the French health authorities have relented and accepted the original version, which should be available very very shortly in France.

The alternative version will be withdrawn from the shelves.

I had some for the very first time today and it was absolutely the most disgusting thing I have ever drunk. My daughter bought a can back from Belgium at the weekend as we had never seen it before and very curious. Shan't be buying it again I can tell you.

I used to drink it with vodka on a Saturday night when I visited my family and friends in Wales a few years back. 

I soon stopped though - it's no fun climbing up the curtains at 9am on a Sunday morning when all you really want to do is sleep for a few hours[:(]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

I used to drink it with vodka on a Saturday night when I visited my family and friends in Wales a few years back. 

I soon stopped though - it's no fun climbing up the curtains at 9am on a Sunday morning when all you really want to do is sleep for a few hours[:(]

[/quote]

Blimey Twinks, I am surprised that you aren't still up at 09.00 hrs [:D]

Everytime I see one of my neighbours he has a can of Red Bull in his hands, he makes trips to Spain to get that along with his ciggies.

MrO used to use it when he was driving down here on his own, but he said he got such a rush of energy  and then felt tired again soon after that he stopped doing it. Now he stops for a nap and then has a coffee intead.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="TWINKLE"]

[/quote]

Well you was making weird laughing noises at the the time

• 5 weeks later...
My next door neighbour (when I lived in Ireland) had a heart attack and is now wheelchair bound. The doctors said that was down to Red Bull. He owned a pub, worked long hours and said he drank Red Bull to keep him going !!!

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a talk by some people from Red Bull a couple of years ago. They explained that the reason it wasn't sold in France was because French law says everything is banned until it has been approved. As Taurine had not been approved Red Bull was not allowed to be sold. They added that their suspicion was that once a French company had set up to manufacture a Red Bull equivalent then it would probably get on the approved list, but an Austrian company on its own wouldn't manage it. Seems to be the case now!

Jonzjob - Toro Rosso seems to be a bit quicker at the moment!!