Lidl cheddar

suein56

Other half and I have just got back home after purchasing some of the cheddar on promotion in Lidl today; and I have to say, after trying a morsel that it is delicious. We went for a bike ride, as it has been such a super day here, and called in to Lidl on the way back. The cheese is produced in Leek, Staffs and is described as being ' vintage reserve' and 'a strong cheddar with a rich & intense flavour'. OH is going back tomorrow to buy some more - if there is any left!! [:)]

Sue

[quote user="Cat"]

Oooh, you pipped me at the post Clair, I was just about to post about Cantal Vieux.

A lovely rich tasting, nutty, slightly crumbly cheese, and IMHO much nicer than most mass produced Cheddars

[/quote]

Absolutely right. The Lidl cheddar is a mass-produced cheese with the typical softer texture than the dryer, crumbly texture of a quality cheese. But for my OH, who, from time to time at lunchtime, adores eating a cheese sandwich with home-made chutney it will fit the bill very well.

Sue

The LIDL cheddar is OK -  after going without the stuff for years now, it was nice to have a taste again today. I agree with likening cheddar  to Cantal..  The LIDL cheddar, in terms of strength, must be somewhere between Cantal doux and Entre-Deux - I like something a little less mild, like Salers. That is so good, probably as strong as the strongest cheddar, pity it is so expensive, but at least it is artisanal!

Both our large supermarkets Hyperu & Elerclerc stock cheddar and have done for at least the last 2 years. They stock on the shelves 'Seriously Strong' and can also get it on the delhi counter already cut to size. Bought the lidl ones today which were a lot cheaper than our usual seriously strong one. 

[quote user="britgirl"]I am not a great lover of cheese, but if I needed to do a cheese  sauce then it had to be cheddar. If you freeze it, it's a bit crumbly, but when you are desparate......[/quote]

I used to find cheddar too oily for my tsate when making a cheese/Mornay sauce.

I tend to use Cantal and add grated Parmesan if the Cantal is not strong enough.

[quote user="Clair"]I used to find cheddar too oily for my tsate when making a cheese/Mornay sauce.

I tend to use Cantal and add grated Parmesan if the Cantal is not strong enough.

[/quote]

Exactly what I do. I used to use cheddar a lot in the UK but not having cheddar available here have had to find suitable substitutes. Now we have bought this Lidl cheddar OH and I were talking about it last night. Although the taste is agreeable, I find the texture soft and slightly oily. Perhaps my tastes are changing - after 4 years here - as I think I now prefer the dryer taste/texture of French cheeses.

Sue

I can't afford Salers or Cantal Vieux!!

If I could, I'd rather eat them than put them in a sauce![:D]

Having read all the comments about it here and elsewhere, Mr Clair bought 4 packs of Lidl Cheddar to day (still loads of them in Brive)...

Bah! [:@] thanks to you lot I have bought some and very good it is too [:)] and a little cheaper than my usual Comté au lait cru.

Then I had no choice but to go out and buy some pickle and Lidl sliced bread, you have undone all my good work [:(]

There were still 2 whole untouched boxes on the shelf at my store, what really galls me is that no more will probaby be sold (I bought 3) and they will go in the bins slashed open and covered in bleach once they are well out of date (I know this because I am a glaneur) the UK supplier footing the bill whereas I would be happy to buy them at a knock down price.

Ossau Iraty (in French here)

"Sa fabrication est saisonnière : les brebis ne donnent du lait que de

novembre à juillet, parfois août. Sa période de dégustation optimale

s'étale de juin à novembre après un affinage de 4 à 6 mois, mais il est aussi excellent de mai à décembre."

"Its

production is seasonal: the sheep only give milk between November and

July, sometimes  to August. The optimal sampling period extends from June

to November after a refinement of 4 to 6 months, but it is also

excellent from May to December. "