What is this expensive salt used for?

In the Spring (happily only 2-ish months away down here!), we sprinkle it on braised asparagus which has been liberally soaked in butter.  Bet that got your juices going.

Good stuff though - I just find that its easier to 'control' the amount of seasoning.

I visited the salt hotel on the Uyuni salt plateau bordering Bolivia and Chile, the whole building, furniture including beds was made from salt blocks, interesting but a bit of a tick the box tourist attaction and more than my 5 dollars a day budgetary limit so I didnt stay.

I do a cookery course once a month and Chef uses a lot of Sel de Guerand, we once did a pot au poule, or is it poule au pot? anyway he filled his hand to overflowing with Sel de Guerand and threw it in with a flourish for seasoning, he is quite demonstrative when he is trying to get a point across, in this case the finished dish did not taste salty at all and needed all of it.

We have also used a similar quantity with a small amount of huile d'olive as a marinade for pannequet de saumon, nce again everyone winced and he pulled his Blue Peter dish out of the fridge (the one he had prepared earlier) it looked to be swimming in huime d'olive, in fact it was the oild floating on all the water that the salt had drawn out of the salmon, once again the finished dish did not taste salty and IIRC correctly we added some seasoning later on.

Its now one of my favorite dishes and makes a great entrée or apero.

I too love the Guerande salt marshes; I went as a teenager when on a school exchange to St Nazaire. The haunting picture stayed in my mind, and I was so pleased to find it just the same when I returned years later with my OH and children. I haven't been for years, as the Camargue is on the doorstep. I use both types of salt. Incidentally, I used to live at Stafford, where part of a school and other buildings fell down the salt workings; very dramatic, and not as tasty!

Salt is salt is salt.

All salt is sodium chloride and anything which differentiates it from any other salt is an impurity.

Added salt is a totally unnecessary ingredient.

Whew! Having got that off my chest, I do wonder why people are prepared to pay lots of money for a product that is an undifferentiated commodity.

Sodium chloride is sodium chloride, is sodium chloride.

Technically speaking any chemical salt is an ionic compound made up of a metal cation (+) and a non-metal anion (-), so you have magnesium salt, Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) etc.

"Whew! Having got that off my chest, I do wonder why people are prepared to pay lots of money for a product that is an undifferentiated commodity".

Why does un-refined sugar cost more than refined bleached white sugar?

Answer, the economic scale on which it's produced Billingtons told me

[quote user="Gemonimo"]Is anyone else addicted to beurre au sel de guerande? When I get back from the UK after christmas I'm going to spread it liberally on some CRUMPETS!!!!![/quote]

Yes, we go through loads of it! Don't keep it in a stainless steel butter dish though, you get rust spots. [geek]

FairyNuff

[quote user="Théière"]

Technically speaking any chemical salt is an ionic compound made up of a metal cation (+) and a non-metal anion (-), so you have magnesium salt, Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) etc.

"Whew! Having got that off my chest, I do wonder why people are prepared to pay lots of money for a product that is an undifferentiated commodity".

[/quote]

Salt comes from different areas and different salts have diferent ratios of various minerals - the only reason we got to hear about the himalayan salt company was because the OH collects elements from the periodic table and just one of their salts has something he wanted - so not all salts are created equal.

We haven't salted veg for 25 years plus - and use it very sparingly in other cooking

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

Added salt is a totally unnecessary ingredient.

[/quote]

I assume that you mean when cooking or at the table.

I have to disagree with you, if you eat healthily and avoid processed foods then we, like animals, need to add salt to our diet.

As I usually do very physical work in summer and pespire a lot I have to take in a considerable amount of extra salt to avoid excruciating muscle cramps, at this time of year I dont usually need to but last night at the swiming pool during dive training I amongst others in the group suffered  cramp whilst doing the recovering an injured diver exercise.

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="Théière"]

[/quote]

Salt comes from different areas and different salts have diferent ratios of various minerals - the only reason we got to hear about the himalayan salt company was because the OH collects elements from the periodic table and just one of their salts has something he wanted - so not all salts are created equal.

We haven't salted veg for 25 years plus - and use it very sparingly in other cooking

[/quote]

Completely agree [:)]

when OH collects certain elements from the periodic table move out!

although if you can get a nice Uranium glass dish it would show off you ornaments very nicely