Bread's done but, how do I get it out?

mint

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi sweet 17

As another recent breadmaking virgin I feel that, as with so many other things in life, timing is of the essence.

I time my machine to finish it's final "keep warm hour" just as I get up in the morning. I then open the top of the machine and leave it for a short time until I can just about handle the tin by hand.

I then turn it upside down onto rungs and leave it for a further few minutes. A firm double shake then seems to dislodge it nicely. If the paddle stays in (and this has only happened once to me) then I leave it there until I'm very close to cutting and then ease it out gently.

I do make rolls using the breadmaker just for mixing and what this has taught me  is how to handle dough so that I really enjoy making a pizza and getting loads of our favourite toppings on.

Keep trying.

Hi Sweet 17.

We have been using our bread machine for about one year now.  We too have  sometimes found it  difficult to get the bread out.  From experience we have found the best way is to invert the tin (either when cool or straight out of the machine) and give one corner a sharp knock on the work top and the loaf will normally slide out with the aid of a few shakes. The paddles very often stay in the loaf and can be picked out with a little extractor tool that came with the machine. We find it is best to do this after the loaf has cooled.

To make life a little easier I lightly grease (or oil) the post and paddles before using the machine again.

I hope this helps.

Thank you to everybody who has posted with their thoughts since my own last post on this thread.

Vindolanda, I will definitely grease the posts where the paddles fit before the next use.

I haven't actually had the paddles stay in the loaf, it's more like the damn things staying stubbornly afixed to the posts that's stopping the bread from coming out!

I have read this thread with increasing disbelief but have realised that perhaps we are lucky.  I do not grease anything and bread comes out as soon as it is cooked.  I just give a firm shake.  Paddle stays in tin, never once have we had to dig it out.

Perhaps the problem is cheap bread machines? Our was bought in the UK after reading Which?  It was more expensive than most but has never been a problem.  It is a Panasonic.  The only problem we had until recently was flour,  but we solved that that by buying in bulk on our twice a year visits back to the UK.  Very recently we have found flour here in France that does work with our recipe.  Most recipes on other machines we see use a whole sachet of yeast, we use just half a teaspoon with 400g flour and the results are wonderful.

We make dough only for pizza or rolls.

If I had had the problems in this thread I would have taken the machine back and said it was not fit for the purpose.

Mrs H

• 1 year later...
Mine was a real cheapy from Tesco £9.99, I normally just use it to make dough then put in oven, but now and then I leave it to cook in the machine, turn tin upside down shake and out it comes with paddle still in loaf, a little puller (supplied) pulls paddle out .....simple's

Before long the bread machine will go into the same cupboard that contains the........teasmade, fondue set, sandwich toaster, gassy thing that puts bubbles in drinks, coloured lamp with gungey stuff that makes strange shapes and electric knife. There are probably lots of other similar "good ideas at the time" but they are only the ones that topple out whenever the cupboard doors are opened by mistake, which then get booted back in amidst much muttering.

LOL, Weedon!  I can confirm that the teasmade and sandwich toaster have long been given away.  I didn't have the drinks machine nor the lamp.

Yes, the electric knife is still in its box but, hey, I do use the bread maker!

And yes, it's still tricky to get the bread out but, with practice, I am managing to get it out more or less intact. 

Hands up all those in possession of one of those chicken bricks (for roasting chickens, what else), tagine, raclette set, punch bowl with glass ladle and cups with handles that hang on the rim.  If you use these items on a regular basis, you need not own up!

[quote user="Weedon"]Before long the bread machine will go into the same cupboard that contains the........teasmade, fondue set, sandwich toaster, gassy thing that puts bubbles in drinks, coloured lamp with gungey stuff that makes strange shapes and electric knife. There are probably lots of other similar "good ideas at the time" but they are only the ones that topple out whenever the cupboard doors are opened by mistake, which then get booted back in amidst much muttering.[/quote]

You forgot the foot spa

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Hands up all those in possession of one of those chicken bricks (for roasting chickens, what else), tagine, raclette set, punch bowl with glass ladle and cups with handles that hang on the rim.  If you use these items on a regular basis, you need not own up!

[/quote]

I still have (and use) a wonderful sandwich maker - Breville, I think.  It seals the edges of the bread and filled with Philadelphia cream cheese and smoked ham it's a sandwich to die for and if you eat too many, you probably would[+o(]

"Hands up all those in possession of one of those chicken bricks (for

roasting chickens, what else), tagine, raclette set, punch bowl with

glass ladle and cups with handles that hang on the rim.  If you use

these items on a regular basis, you need not own up!"

Yep,  tagines x 2 (brilliant things) a chicken brick, and a pot for cooking potatoes. [:)] Sandwich toaster has long been given away also the electric carving knife, never had any of the other bits.and pieces.

You know what they say, bad workwomen always blame their tools! I bought my Morphy Richards fast bake breadmaker for less than £20 on e-bay so that I could bake my own rye bread, cause it's so expensive, though I have a little trouble with the mix getting it light enough with other flours to suit me, (any recipes received with thanks) but not much problem getting it out after standing upside down on a baking rack for five, then giving it a thump, I occasionally threaten it with a knife round the outside, but no stress(add a bit of olive oil with the water). Another stress reliever is my Swan teasmade for a first cuppa in the morning, less grief than a Goblin, though the Swan teapot surprised me when I wacked it against the sink, cause it broke, but soon replaced it with another pot for less than a fiver on e-bay. Best of all my Kenwood juicer in the morning does the carrot juice, (and the wormery) bit of a F.A.F.T. to clean but hey you can't beat fresh carrot juice with an apple and bit of ginger. I must admit the sandwich maker is occasionally but rarely used, though my soup mixer/blender was used just last night to make the bean mash. Can't remember where the electric carving knife is nor the last time I had a joint[:)] and haven't used the rice maker much lately that's more of a winter tool now that I'm on Salads and Tabouleh.[:P]

[quote user="just john"]Best of all my Kenwood juicer in the morning does the carrot juice,

(and the wormery) bit of a F.A.F.T. to clean ......[/quote]

Do you really put your worms through your juicer Not suprised it's a FAFT to clean after.  I mean being healthy is one thing but.....  [+o(]

We also have the Panasonic bread machine (after glowing recommendations from here) which we use a lot.  The other two gadgets I love are my food processor and ice-cream maker.  The electric knife and soda stream (can't get the gas cylinders any more) are no longer used.  Foot spa and chocolate fountain are still in the original packaging.  The kids love the toastie maker though.

Mrs R51