Fish - Filet de pange

Nell

It tastes really nice - a good substitute for cod. I saw the website about it being dangerous, but looked further and found that there didn't seem to be any real evidence. Watchdog investigated it a while ago and found their samples to be fine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/04/a_fish_called_river_cobbler.html

[quote user="Nell"]I bought mine in Auchan on the fresh fish area and it was not particulary cheap at 13.95 a kilo...

But - Never again !!

[/quote]

We bought it at Super U for 7€ a kilo. After finding out where it came from we will never touch it again!

All the fish on display at our local fishmonger and on the fish counter of Leclerc shows an ocean/country of origin - though if it is raised in a sewer in Vietnam and cut up in France that probably qualifies as French.

There is a fishman on the bi-weekly market in St Cere with live trout in a big tank but these are not marked with lake of origin - should they be?

John

Is this the same fish that is called River Cobbler in the UK? If it is the when I worked for a large supermarket we sold this fish and it was farmed in Vietnam and not taken from the rivers. We also sold it smoked at it is a very tasty fish and a good alternative to the dearer fish.

It's what they serve at the my nearest fish and chip restaurant (Puy l'eveque) and it's very tasty.

The restaurant is well patronised and I'm not aware of any diners becoming ill or dying from eating it [blink]

As has been intimated, if you are a fish and meat eater it's better sometimes not to delve too deeply into sources or production methods.

I sense the strong possibility of a predictable response to that last sentence from a particular forum member [;-)]

[quote user="AnOther"]

It's what they serve at the my nearest fish and chip restaurant (Puy l'eveque) and it's very tasty.

The restaurant is well patronised and I'm not aware of any diners becoming ill or dying from eating it [blink]

As has been intimated, if you are a fish and meat eater it's better sometimes not to delve too deeply into sources or production methods.

I sense the strong possibility of a predictable response to that last sentence from a particular forum member [;-)]

[/quote]

Would that be me then? [Www]

I dont mind knowing where my food comes from but when the toilet pigs start delving into the source of their nourishment I can tell you that that it makes you jump right off the seat [6]

[quote user="Mac"]Is this the same fish that is called River Cobbler in the UK? If it is the when I worked for a large supermarket we sold this fish and it was farmed in Vietnam and not taken from the rivers. We also sold it smoked at it is a very tasty fish and a good alternative to the dearer fish.[/quote]

I think it is the same thing, it was used on "Saturday Kitchen" not long ago in a recipe and all the chefs were extolling its virtues.

Edit: what is the problem with this forum that quotes are showing as above? This never used to happen for me - only since I got Windows 7.

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

Edit: what is the problem with this forum that quotes are showing as above? This never used to happen for me - only since I got Windows 7.

[/quote]

It's not a forum issue - it's you. I solved this prob on my machine by clicking on the "Compatability view" icon in the top row.

John

[quote user="Iceni"]

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

[/quote]

It's not a forum issue - it's you. I solved this prob on my machine by clicking on the "Compatability view" icon in the top row.

John

[/quote]

Great,  found the Compatability View eventually, thanks John