Coffee Makers

Rose

Dear all

I would like to buy a coffee machine that will make filter/expresso/cappuccino.   I've been looking on-line and in Darty but there is such a huge range and such a wide price difference I'm at a lost at where to start... Do the more expensive ones really offer that much more?  What would be a reasonable price to pay for a decent model? I wonder if anyone has one that they would like to recommend... Cheers! [8-)]

Snap!  My old espresso coffee maker died a few weeks ago, and I'm on the lookout for a new one.  Mine wasn't really much cop though, very slow, and not enough pressure to get a good crema on the coffee.  I'm thinking of maybe just getting an ordinary drip fed filter one this time, but would be interested to hear if anyone has great things to say about a machine that makes both filter and espresso coffee.

the pressure's the thing!  But the highest figure you can afford.  Our Nespresso machine makes fabulous coffee but it is horribly expensive to run as it relies on capsules which you get by mail order.  Although I would truthfully say it makes some of the best coffee going it really is a very high price to pay for quality! (It works out at about 26 cents a cup.)

Thanks guys - I had seen the nesspressos... they look good but i did wonder about the cost of the cups... and of running out which is more likely for me!  I'll have a look at the Gaggia -  thanks for the tip... I guess for a good cup of coffee it's worth the investment... [:$]

Yes, they do make an excellent coffee, but oh the washing (and drying) up!  They don't like to be left damp.

And if you want something that will do the job for eight or more people (from time to time), or will make filter and espresso coffee (as pps, the OP) would like, and want only one machine/gizmo/whatever... the choice is rather limited.

[quote user="Gardian"]

Nespresso.

We brought ours from the UK and it 'converted' our French neighbours.  I now buy €100's worth per mth online just for them!  48hr dlvry.

[/quote]

I had a look at the Nespresso machines in Darty yesterday... couldn't see the Gaggia models although I did see them online in comet?  As so many have expressed preference to the Nespresso... it seems like a good choice... my only worry is that it will work out to be quite expensive to make a few cups of coffee a day?  How do you all find it compares with the normal options?  I guess by the time you add the cost of the coffee, filters etc is there not much difference?

thanks for the replies so far by the way!

We have a Magimix Nespresso,

The basic one, where you have to stop the machine yourself, usually retail at about €150. The automatic ones, where the machine stops after enough water has passed, cost about €180. There's usually an offer of €30 or €50 off around this time of year, or is it all year long? [:)]

They machines don't take mugs very easily (look at the space between the spout and the tray), but in a way, it's a good thing, as I would not want to drink too many of those on a daily basis (we're talking proper espresso, not just coffee).

We use about 4 to 6 caspules a day and I order online every 6 to 7 weeks. Delivery is very prompt and you can either pay by CC online or by cheque after delivery. There's no postage if the order is for a minimum of 200 capsules (€62).

If you want to drink very nice coffee, it's an excellent machine. But it does not come cheap on usage and it does not do long coffee easily, although we manage to fill put a small mug for breakfast. For cups, it's perfect.

The range of coffee on offer is great, from strong to decaf and they do offer a choice of 3 non-espresso coffees too.

We are very very happy with ours, but it's because we prefer dinking a little of the very good stuff... [:)]

While I can only agree that the Nespresso is very good, there are some points which put me off getting one.

You are limited to the range of coffee supplied in the capsules, I like to try all sorts when I see a packet I fancy, currently onto 'Italian' coffees but that will change I'm sure

These things could go the way of the video tape machine or 8 track.  If they fall out of fashion then no more capsules.

COST per cup is much more than buying even top price coffee

I actually like the 'ritual' of making coffee and smelling it brewing

Lastly, I just can't justify to myself the waste in those thick foil sachets that the coffee comes in.  OK they go in the recycler but it just seems OTT to me.

I'm not having a dig at anybody, just pointing out why I don't have one.  Gaggia (or stove top espresso maker) for espresso and an ordinary insulated jug and coffee strainer for long coffee then use the grounds around plants to deter slugs!

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Lastly, I just can't justify to myself the waste in those thick foil sachets that the coffee comes in.  OK they go in the recycler but it just seems OTT to me.

[/quote]

I have to agree here - I would just feel too guilty to use regularly...[:$]

Plus,  we still try to avoid any products from the all-powerful Nestle if at all possible...

[quote user="Gemonimo"]Whilst I like expresso, my favourite coffee of all time is the Kenya coffee I percolate (you what?) in a forty year old Corning ware percolator that I bought in Boston. Italian guests have even been known to ask for a second cup.......[/quote]

I agree, nothing beats an old fashioned percolator in my opinion, the coffee aroma is almost as wonderful as the taste. It seems you can't find them nowadays though. [:(]

[quote user="WJT"]

[quote user="Gemonimo"]Whilst I like expresso, my favourite coffee of all time is the Kenya coffee I percolate (you what?) in a forty year old Corning ware percolator that I bought in Boston. Italian guests have even been known to ask for a second cup.......[/quote]

I agree, nothing beats an old fashioned percolator in my opinion, the coffee aroma is almost as wonderful as the taste. It seems you can't find them nowadays though. [:(]

[/quote]

No, I was wrong, I just did a quick search and came up with some. I think I will buy one. Thanks for the idea Geronimo. [:D]

Are you going to get an electric or stove top variety WJT? My old pot is a stove top model and can be controlled for strenghth - as soon as I see clear water glub glubbing over the coffee cage, I give it five minutes. That's for Kenya but other varieties might be longr/shorter. And the smell, mmmm!

Gemonimo, I am afraid I love the electric ones that start perking and stop when they are finished automatically and also keeps it warm. I don't think anything can beat them personally. Having said that you can't make espresso or cappuccino in them but the best cup of java going. [:)]

I have a stove top Italian one but I still prefer the electric ones. There appears to be some makers doing them now, one is by Dualit. By the way, a word of warning if you don't already know, coffee made from a percolator is meant to have much more caffeine in it than the drip method.

I have the senseo which does the job efficiently and do not break the bank, (easy for guests to use) and theres are loads of varieties of coffees available, I buy mine from ebay france in bulk , hovever I know tassimo does hot chocolate but Ive never seen the senseo dossettes so can you use the tassimo ones or does anyboby know if they sell them or any other makes?

Prior to the Nespresso machine, we had a Gaggia coffee machine and a proper ceramic grinder.  The coffee was great, but despite regular descaling (hard water area in the UK) it eventually got furred up and refused to work.  At about that time we'd visted a John Lewis store and tasted the Nespresso product, and bought 2 machines there and then.  I've been in love with Nespresso ever since.

I remember percolators!  I always considered them a sure-fire way of killing coffee stone dead.  Coffee should be drunk fresh, and heated to no more than 96º at which temperature the flavour is released.

As regards disposal of the used foil capsules, I'm afraid that no amount of conscience is going to have any effect on my future consumption - sorry, and all that to the eco-warriors...

Chris

I have never tasted the Nespresso and the coffee pods, but agree about using fresh coffee. Buy fresh coffee beans grind them on the spot put them in a percolator and the percolator uses air and hot water to roast, mmmm.

Perhaps I'm wrong and maybe the new pod machines work with pressure as well but I certainly find this method much better than just having hot water drip over the grinds. Not sure about the 96 degrees, so may do a little research but would be interested to know what temperature the percolator reaches and  I assume you say this because the Nespresso claims to only reach this temp. All very interesting in any case.

I quite agree WJT, whenever I 'drip' coffee, I end up with something rather luke warm and not very good. As for the temperature of a percolator, well I can control it on the stove top but I haven't a clue as to the temperature. And how about storing the beans? I store mine in the freezer (don't know why). Am I the only one doing this?

While we're on the subject of coffee makers, does anyone remember those rather odd coffee makers that had two glass globes with a glass tube between the two to 'aspire' the water from the lower to the higher globe? I think they might have been Swedish.