Sofas-La Redoute?

WJT

I was going to order sofas from the UK but read somewhere here about La Redoute. I can't seem to find it but believe it was Cooperlola. I have been looking at their sofas because of this. Usually a catalogue company will charge a high premium for credit versus the quality but perhaps La Redoute is different?

It is just so frustrating that I can't actually see one so would love to know if anyone has actually ordered a sofa from Le Redoute? As always thank you in advance. [:)]

La redoute do have a catalogue but it is expensive; probably easier to use the online service. The link open on the first page of the canapé section, there are 6 pages. A word of caution the sales are on at the moment so the site will be busy so it may be slow. La Redoute sell most everything and are popular.

http://www.laredoute.fr/achat-meubles-deco-canape.aspx?categoryid=61098222&virtualtool=layer_navigation

Yes, I think the thread was about Chesterfields so you might want to put that in the search?  I haven't bought a sofa from them but have several pieces of their furniture and am impressed by the quality but they aren't cheap.

EDIT : Here it is, but only Pacha and I replied to it that time.[:D]

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2376865/ShowPost.aspx

Thank you both for your replies. I have been looking at their site and have picked out a few I like (thanks to Cooperlola [:)]). I know nothing about what makes a good sofa but have read it should have thick steel gauge springs in the construction etc.. dowelled and glued frame. It doesn't say how the frames are constructed and it appears their sofas are made with elastic straps so perhaps that means they aren't good quality?

In France though they seem to measure quality based on the kg per meter in the foam.[:$] It is so confusing.  The sofas are quite cheap but before looking at the La Redoute site I was looking at SofaSofa but when you add shipping costs it doesn't work put that much cheaper. But perhaps the quality is better. [8-)]

I don't want to make a mistake so if anyone knows about sofas or La Redoute or Sofasofa in particular that can give me advice I would be most appreciative.

I have 2 sofas from La Redoute in the gite, ordered in 2004 and still in good condition to this day.

The foam back cushions are somewhat distorted from being squished over the frame, but the seat cushions are as new.

No complaints from me, just a piece of advice: never order from the catalogue; order online, as there's always some discount available, or use one of the numerous promo codes they keep mailing or emailing. if you don't receive the promo, register for their newsletter before placing your order as they will send you a welcome discount...

Thank you Clair for the advice. I have never seen one of their catalogues so only looking on line. I started looking a while ago but have been waiting until the sales started in hopes the prices would be lower. Unfortunately the sofas are not in the sales. One of the sofas I am interested in shows a 25% reduction but has been like that all along.

Thank you for the advice on them sending a code for a discount. When I registered with them I chose not to have information sent to me so will go back and change that. I have ordered fabric sample that I haven't received yet.

My worry is of course the quality of construction but also the fabric. For example Sofasofa will treat the fabric and it appears that La Redoute doesn't even give you the option for a price. I would definitely need this. Did you have your sofas treated?

I know you're not looking for second hand WJT, but there a couple of nice ones here:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/ameublement/offres/aquitaine/dordogne/?f=a&th=1&q=Canape

The beige at 200 euros (hardly used)

and the pink further down at 290 euros.

Why don't you go to a local furniture store where you can have a good look at them?

Our dogs are very pleased with their sofa and matching armchair (in fact it's the most comfortable I've ever sat in!), 15 euros the two at Emmaüs!   [:D]

Christine, you are right about those two, the beige one looks brand new for €200! I actually need to buy four sofas for two rooms. [:(] So Ideally at least have pairs that look good together. The dimensions are quite important too. I do visit local brocantes and I have noticed that the second hand sofas are very expensive (definitely more expensive than ordering from Sofasofa!) and some are horrendous. But the ones you found on leboncoin are lovely and are a very good price.

Thank you, I will definitely check it out. [:)]

[quote user="WJT"]Thank you for the advice on them sending a code for a discount. When I registered with them I chose not to have information sent to me so will go back and change that. I have ordered fabric sample that I haven't received yet.

My worry is of course the quality of construction but also the fabric. For example Sofasofa will treat the fabric and it appears that La Redoute doesn't even give you the option for a price. I would definitely need this. Did you have your sofas treated?

[/quote]

I did not have the sofas treated, as there was no option to do so. There have been occasional food or drink stains on the cushion, but nothing horrible that couldn't be removed with a damp cloth wipe.

Frame-wise, they feel light-weight when I compare them to the two sofas we bought from Sofa Workshop in the UK. I would have been happier with a sturdier frame, but this was for the gite and the budget was set firm.

To be fair though, Sofa workshop sofas are traditionally made and very expensive in comparison so it's no surprise they feel more solid than a Redoute one.  Mine is 20 years old and used every day but it did cost half the national debt.[:-))]  I could have bought 4 Redoute sofas for what I paid.

That is true. Sofa workshop is very expensive. As I said I need four, two of them I just need to be OK quality but pretty [:)] but the other two I want to look nice of course but they need to stand up to daily use. The ones for this room I am looking at are meant to be 25% off but they are still at 899 euro a piece so for me this is quite expensive. But compared to a £3500 or more sofa workshop sofa it is cheap!

The Sofasofa sofa I was considering is made with heavy gauge springs, glued and screwed etc.. but the price is lower than the Le Redoute but when I add for each sofa four 60x60 cushions which I think it needs as well as delivery from the UK it comes in just a few hundred less. I find it a little worrying that La Redoute doesn't even mention how the frame is made and does mention the seats are elastic bands instead of springs.

I was hoping someone could talk me into La Redoute because I quite like the way they look and it would be so much easier.[:(]

I will wait until I receive the fabric samples and may decide to buy two from each and buy the two that doesn't need to be as well made from La Redoute.

In the meantime if anyone could suggest an alternative to buy two pairs of sofas at similar prices and looks please let me know.[:)]

I have just received a copy of the Maison du Monde catalogue and the prices seem quite reasonable. The descriptions for the furniture are quite comprehensive but I have never bought anything from them so can't vouch for the quality. The website is www.maisonsdumonde.com

Hope you are successful in your search - good hunting

Thank you Rowland, I too love it!

There are shops in Perigueux and Brive of which I have been to both. They only have one or two sofas on show but as pretty as they are, I am not sure of the quality for everyday use but would certainly do for the other room. In fact I was considering it for that room until I saw one I quite like on La Redoute for a lower cost but higher grams per meter.[8-)]

I know nothing of sofas but apparently grams per meter is how they judge quality in France. Maisons du Monde is 21 g/m and La Redoute is 35 g/m. However it is strange that not much is said about the construction of the frame. Maison du Monde however do treat the fabric where it appears La Redoute don't. Aargh![8-)]

[quote user="pachapapa"]I thought all upholstered furniture had recycled orange boxes underneath.[/quote]

The cushions used I assume are higher than 21 g/m though. Do you glue and screw the boxes or is it just a staple job? [:D]

[quote user="cooperlola"]To be fair though, Sofa workshop sofas are traditionally made and very expensive in comparison so it's no surprise they feel more solid than a Redoute one.  Mine is 20 years old and used every day but it did cost half the national debt.[:-))]  I could have bought 4 Redoute sofas for what I paid.[/quote]

(slight topic diversion follows): Sofa Workshop were based not too far from where I used to live in the UK and there were quite some proper bargains to be had sometimes...

Back on topic...

We originally bought a stool bed from Sofa Workshop and was so impressed that we bought 2 leather sofas and a chair 15 + years ago and they are still like new even though well used. The reason we bought from them was their extensive knowledge about leather plus the build quality. Their workshop was near to where we used to live, just outside Petworth and they were happy for you to make an appointment to have a look at the workshop and as you say you could get some good bargains especially when the sale is on or on shop display items. Expensive yes, but excellent quality.

Chris

[quote user="knee gel"], just outside Petworth  Chris[/quote]Where numerous members of my o/h's family are buried.  I got my first SW sofa cheaply in their sale but the dog ate it (it was never the same again, poor thing - and nor was the sofa).  The current one I went the whole hog, selecting the design and fabric etc.

However, as I said to WJT, I'm not convinced it's fair to compare them with mass market furniture.

Wow they are quite cheap and look very nice! I just had a look at the Ikea website and if you go to the below link and click on "Cliquez ici" under "Livraison á domicile" it will bring up a new small window asking you to enter your postcode and then the amount of your purchase. It will give you the cost for delivery.

I tried it with many amounts and find it amazing that the prices go up with the amount you buy. I would think it would go by volume.[8-)]

I can have sofas delivered from the UK for about the same or less. I like the EKTORP but find a 54 cm seat depth quite narrow for our needs. But the prices are excellent. I also love the idea of buying extra covers and changing the look.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/fr_FR/customer_service/transportliv.html