Vaseline

mint

Where can you buy it in France?

As it's just a brand name for petroleum jelly, does it have a French equivalent?

Great stuff for the feet after a summer of sandals and going about bare-footed.  And, no, I am not interested in other preparations with price hikes that you can buy at pharmacies.

The last lot we got was in the chemist and it is called (wait for it..........) Vaseline, and was used by the nurse on the dressing for a wound.

The actual tube has Vaseline Pure Monot on it.

Something we would like to buy here in France is Boots or Andrews Health Salts - anyone know of a similar product? Nice refreshing drink to settle the tum the morning after!

Available at chemists but many people are to embarrased to buy it.

I found this when a friend asked me if I had any and he went into a long explanation about an O ring joint he wanted to use it on, he seemed odd so I asked him why the explanation, seemingly its only used in France to oïl the intimate wheels and judging by his discomfort that I got mine from the bathroom cabinet I think it might be a man on man product as well [:$]

ROFL............Just how truly and remarkably ignorant can anyone be about sexual

health. Maybe it was used in the olde days, but now.......... it should

not be used as such a lubricant.

Vaseline is wonderful stuff though for it's proper uses, which mint so illustrated as well as the intented use Chancer's neighbour had.

Mint, I think vaseline comes in tubes in France, I don't think that the writing looks the same either, maybe green. I may have seen/bought some in a  parapharmacie in one of the  big supermarkets.

Thanks for your answers, guys.

And, Spyder, I am not sure where you can get those salts.

Just had a thought (and I know it probably won't taste the same):  perhaps you could try a teaspoon full of bicarbonate of soda (or baking powder) dissolved in some fizzy water.

Also you could maybe flavour the mixture with a drop of fruit cordial?

Oh Chancer that reminds me of my favorite diving buddy, a strapping lass, went into a central London branch of Boots for some KY jelly.  Makes your wet suit cuffs etc slide slide on and less messy than talc.  The woman behind the counter handed her a tube to which she replied "is that the largest size you have? that won't last long" much giggling from the queue [:)]

Whilst on the subject of Boots, don't they now send to the EU? so you could get Andrews sent over although as Mint suggested bicarbonate of soda mixed with a vitamin C tablet in water will do much the same but without the laxative element ( Magnesium sulphate)

Pierre, super!  How gentil of you to have taken the trouble to find that for me[:D]

TBH, I wasn't keen on the Scholl products as they tend to cost the earth and I wasn't going to buy something so everyday as petroleum jelly in a tube because most things dispensed in tubes when there are equivalents in tubs have a nice mark-up for the manufacturers and vendors (look at mustard or mayonnaise for examples).

Also, for the keen cyclists amongst you, I can reveal that, when I did a charity bike ride, we were advised to smear Vaseline liberally on the er..............nether regions to avoid problems[;-)]

Urea

Chemical Compound

Urea or carbamide is an organic compound with the chemical formula CO(NH₂)₂. The molecule has two —NH₂ groups joined by a carbonyl (C=O) functional group. Wikipedia

Formula: CH4N2O

Molar mass: 60.06 g/mol

Density: 1.32 g/cm³

Melting point: 133 °C

Soluble in: Water

Feedback

[quote user="Spyder"]Something we would like to buy here in France is Boots or Andrews Health Salts - anyone know of a similar product? Nice refreshing drink to settle the tum the morning after!
[/quote]

You need to sk for "Comprimes effervescent UPSA". They come as tablets in a tube not lose material in a tub.

Vaseline .....,.

I can thoroughly recommend David Kynaston's books, Austerity Britain (1945-1951) and Family Britain (1951 - 1957).

From the latter, and reminding us that the 1950s weren't entirely a golden age:

There was also the case of Lord Montagu of Beaulieu, his cousin Michael Pitt-Rivers and the Daily Mail’s diplomatic correspondent Peter Wildeblood, all three of whom were arrested in January 1954 for homosexual offences and conspiracy to incite acts of gross indecency (the latter charge being wheeled out for the first time since the trials of Oscar Wilde)......... Later that month, the Admiralty issued new Fleet Orders highlighting ‘the horrible character of unnatural vice’ and insisting that naval officers ‘stamp out the evil’. Recommended methods included inspection of jars of Vaseline or hair gel for tell-tale pubic hairs, while officers were also encouraged to secure ‘the help of the steadier and more reliable men on the lower deck’ in order to counter the regrettable tendency ‘to treat these matters with levity’.

Araucaria said something about treating these matters "with levity".

Don't worry, I'm not treating anything with Levity; in fact, I've never heard of this product before!

Is it good for cracked heels then?

And, more importantly, does it cost more or less than Vaseline?[8-)]