World Cup togger

Miki

[quote user="Miki"]
I couldn't agree more......Are you really a lady [;-)]  That is right on the button and as good if not better than many a male soccer aficianado could review the cup, thus  far.

.....this one shadows my thoughts exactly !)
[/quote]

Could you possibly dig yourself a deeper hole, Miki?[:D]

Agree with you about the Tunisians though. What a Shokka!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant male Tresco ! Have I missed summat ?

Katie, that's just like saying the pin never lies in hose racing.......I know you will not say anymore, so I'll take that as a yes,  you're right Miki !!

[quote user="Miki"]I meant male Tresco ! Have I missed summat ?

Katie, that's just like saying the pin never lies in hose racing.......I know you will not say anymore, so I'll take that as a yes,  you're right Miki !!

[/quote]

hose racing ?

how's that work then?

Is that why firemen have big helmets?

[quote user="Miki"] I meant male Tresco ! Have I missed summat ?[/quote]

The only thing you have missed - happily for you - is being slaughtered by the females on the forum. I know you meant male: That was my point. [:D]

I really thought I was rather sticking up for some soccer loving women Tresco !

Tina has

driven me mad for 35 years about the offside law and just when I thought she had it sussed, it changed and now, barely anyone

can understand it, and if one does, then tries to explain it to someone

else, they then watch a game and see the referee translate it

differently ! It will be back to the drawing board for this new offside rule I reckon !!

I thought I had it sussed, there had to be 2 defenders (normally one would be the goalie) between the player and the goal before the move (is that the one before the shot is made ?) started - but I must have it very wrong 'cause it doesn't look like that to me !!!

How many, Katie ? A million, surely not ...............[;-)]

That's how it was for years Gay but now.........................not

interfering comes in to play but as the inimitable Bill Shankly once

said :-

“If a player isn't interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be!”

To add to that, he also said....

“The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game.”  [:D]

[quote user="Russethouse"]I thought I had it sussed, there had to be 2 defenders (normally one would be the goalie) between the player and the goal before the move (is that the one before the shot is made ?) started - but I must have it very wrong 'cause it doesn't look like that to me !!![/quote]

Oh ye of little memory.  Don't you remember the thread 13 Days?

Here is a recap:

A player is in an offside position if:

• he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:

• he is in his own half of the field of play
  • he is level with the second last opponent
  • he is level with the last two opponents

Commiting an Offside Offence

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the

moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the

opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

• interfering with play
  • interfering with an opponent
  • gaining an advantage by being in that position

No Offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

• a goal kick
  • a throw-in
  • a corner kick
With thanks to the following website where you can see the same thing with diagrams:

Offside explained

There is also a post with the rules for offside in rugby but it's a fair bit longer ...

Well, France have played abysmally but I think they will leapfrog into the next round on Friday, could even go top, i'd like Korea to go through though.

I still fancy Croatia to go through with Bresil; I think Ukraine will squeeze through ( hope so),  and Portugal and Mexico,

Groupe E is a toughy but I am sure the Czech Rep will go through and then who? I think Ghana with an upset for Italy (but I thought Poland would go through too [:$] so who knows)

England? I think they should get to the semis at least this year, even with Crouch!

Here we go again, awful defending and a keeper who is all to often

glued to his line and when he does come out, one wishes he would commit

himself rather, than act like a windmill. OK a bit harsh but 

Robinson gives me the eeby jeeby's !!

Still we are through and top of the group, this avoiding Germany.

Ecuador should not pose a threat but if our defence continues in the

same mode as tonight, anything is possible !

One major handicap, David Beckham, boy was George Best spot on. You all must have seen his efforts at jumping tonight, lost out at front post for Swedish goal, almost let Larrson in 2 mins later and had a great chance to go over the defender at the back post for Englands second goal, you could'nt get a newspaper under his feet when he jumps.

Seriously, if he is left out and some of the new younger talent like lennon is brought in then they will have a better chance, now that i've got that off my chest i hope Ecuador turn them over in next round. Am i just being biased????? hugh.

OK, it wasn't great tonight, but before we get too depressed:

• We won the group
  • I'd rather we were playing Ecuador than the Germans (or for that matter the Swedes) at the weekend
  • The French are very deeply in the ****. Even if they win on Friday (?), they could fail to qualify if the other 2 draw (conspiracy theories will abound!)
  • Our fiendish plan is to peak late