A Pyrrhic victory for Germany

Kitty

I was really surprised that the officials' error

over the potential equalising goal by Lampard could not be overturned.  Why didn't the ref stop the game and speak to

the linesman.  In that time, the replay would have shown the error.

Also the real cuplrit is the German goalkeeper, who is a cheat.  He saw the error and didn't say anything.  That is cheating.

If the score had been 2-2, things could have been different. 

The error is very bad for the game indeed, regardless of the final score.

Errors happen, you win some , you lose some. I'm glad that, that goal didn't matter in the long run.

Of course the German goalkeeper isn't going to say anything, neither would the English or any other country if they could have benefited from it. Sorry I don't buy into it's only cheating when it's another team doing it.

Nevertheless, I do think that video footage would help partially sighted linesmen / refs.  Particularly in a sport where the scores are so low that penalty shoot outs often decide the outcome of major tournaments. We are in the 21st century after all - and sports like rugby, tennis etc seem to have gotten to grips with the technology.

Mrs R51

I am not interested in the hysterical nonsense and watched not one second of it but I have to ask, whatever went on do you honestly think the English goalkeeper would have acted differently, to these people a win is a win by fair means or foul.

Beautiful game, pah !

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Video technology should be brought in.

But no one cheated today (apart from Gerrard did a couple of his usual dives).

But it wouldn't have made any difference today. Germany were far superior.

England have been poor for a long time now and they deserved this defeat.[/quote]

Totally agree Richard

Mrs R51

Sadly I have been forced to watch some of this rather peculiar game as I have visitors that have succumbed to the 'delights' of this corrupt industry.

The overpaid English team and all the overpaid TV pundits don't really seem to give a tinkers cuss as they stash the money in Swiss accounts.

How does a TV pundit get given 150 tickets for friends and family?

I notice that the cameras at all the matches face the plebian supporters - they never scan the boxes of the dodgy sponsors and all the hangers on being wined and dined.

The English fans and players are so confused they have been conned into singing the Queens National Anthem - horribly distasteful lyrics and a lousy tune - rather than an English anthem.

Back in the sixties when I watched the '66 World Cup it was facinating to see nationals from farflung countries playing. It was interesting to see the different cultures and peoples - now 90% of the teams are a bizarre mix of players bought from all over the world and given passports because their great grandfather once passed through on a railroad train.

I wonder  how much of licence payers money has been wasted on hundreds of BBC staff flying first class to SA and however much was spent on that silly studio. Who would have known if the backdrop had been put in electronically?

[quote user="Cathy"]

Also the real cuplrit is the German goalkeeper, who is a cheat.  He saw the error and didn't say anything.  That is cheating.

[/quote]

Cricketers walk before they are given LBW by the umpire.  Why can't footballers be more sportsmanlike?  This wan't a marginal edging of the ball over the line - it was a couple of feet.

[quote user="Cathy"][quote user="Cathy"]

[/quote]

Cricketers walk before they are given LBW by the umpire.  Why can't footballers be more sportsmanlike?  This wan't a marginal edging of the ball over the line - it was a couple of feet.

[/quote]

It's not up to the goalkeeper to decide that. It is up to the referee. It was his error, not the goalkeepers. The goalkeepers job is to stop the ball going into the goal, not to decide whether it was a goal or not, the ref's job is to make the decisions.

Clearly, ref's are not up to this job anymore, for years there have been many major mistakes that they have missed, or chosen to miss, and only video technology will counter this.

Trouble is the idiot president Sepp Blatter thinks this is a bad idea, so it's not going to change any time soon.

At least in this case, it made no difference as England were deservedly well beaten.

So what happened with the (supposed) world class players in the England team? In the lead up before the game all the studio pundits reckoned they wouldn't have changed any of the England players with the Germans. So much for their expertise!

Now the media is calling for Capello to go as he was to blame for the defeat.

You've gotta larf aint yer [:-))]

Did you hear though that England whipped the Aussies in the one day cricket series? And Germany aren't much good at cricket either.

If the score had levelled at 2:2, it would have been a different game.

It's completely and utterly bonkers that football does not have an extra TV referee.  If the game isn't played fairly, then it's pointless.

[quote user="Cathy"]

It's completely and utterly bonkers that football does not have an extra TV referee.  If the game isn't played fairly, then it's pointless.

[/quote]

A nice thought Cathy but I think you have to do quite a bit of searching to find any sport where big money is involved which is played fairly. This is also true of many sports where really big money isn't necessarily involved.

It may have been a different game, but I doubt it. By rights Germany should have been 4-2 up at half time anyway, they were so much better. England didn't deserve to win, and have played very badly all tournament. Most of the players should now be dropped as they have proven time and time again that they are not good enough for this level.

I agree, that now video technology should be used in the game. Ref's cannot keep up anymore and need extra assistance. The officiating at this world cup has been awful. Australia have been the hardest done by with two sendings off that never were.

USA also, had two good goals disallowed.

Now England are out, we are being left with nations that know how to play the game well and I am looking forward for the Germany v Argentina game, now that should be a cracker.

I just got an email from my son:

In case you don't know (or you haven't already been the target for abuse) England lost BADLY in the football last night to Germany.

I know you don't follow the football but thought you might need a heads up :P

Bless him, he knows me so well [:P]

So we had a good goal disallowed but as has been said on here already, England have performed badly all through their games and were outplayed by the young German side for most of the game and fully deserved their win (Grrrr). In fact I switched off the game at 4-1 as I didn't want to see more goals go in.

Apparently Capello signed a new contract (said to be 6 million a year) just before the World Cup, so if he goes I doubt the headlines calling him a mug could be justified.

All the ex player pundits were predicting a win for the "experienced" English team, who (in their words) had "been there before", over the young inexperienced Germans. So much for their expertise!

I still think that the English players are only made to look good at their premiership clubs because they play alongside skillful foreign players. Have a look at the top teams to see how many English players actually play regularly.

As a last comment...cos I am fed up with them (yet again) raising our hopes. I thought the English players looked terrified for most of the game.