Rugby World Cup

Gardian

I sometimes wonder how many of the experts here have actually played at the top level[8-)] Still it turned out to be an exciting match with two well drilled defences. I just got the impression that the referee was giving a lot of the 50% decisions to the ABs but you have to play to the referee's interpretation of the laws

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite frankly PPP I find your comments quite insulting and I also note that every time I post in a thread in which you had previously not posted in up you pop with some ridiculous comment it's almost like I am being stalked. I am not the only one to think this either I might add as you seem to be doing it to others as well. You also have a nasty habit of taking threads of subject and deliberately disrupting them. Quite frankly I am getting a bit fed up with your behaviour as are a few others, it's getting very tedious.

[quote user="Quillan"]Quite frankly PPP I find your comments quite insulting and I also note that every time I post in a thread in which you had previously not posted in up you pop with some ridiculous comment it's almost like I am being stalked. I am not the only one to think this either I might add as you seem to be doing it to others as well. You also have a nasty habit of taking threads of subject and deliberately disrupting them. Quite frankly I am getting a bit fed up with your behaviour as are a few others, it's getting very tedious.[/quote]

I presumed that your:

I see we have another Rugby expert! Devil [6]

was directed at me.

[quote user="Rabbie"]I sometimes wonder how many of the experts here have actually played at the top level................[/quote]

An interesting point!  My father (who's 80 this year) played at the top level in the early 50s when the game was entirely amateur and is justly proud, as are the rest of the family, of his having played for Ireland.  He was a stand-off (fly half, No 10 or whatever you want to call it these days) and coached by the unsurpassable Jackie Kyle.

He reckons that the game is now so different from the game he played as to be almost a different sport! His view, for what it's worth, is that the game is spoiled by the power and fitness of the forwards - but as a half-back he would say that wouldn't he?  He's also disappointed by the way the modern ball has turned some games into aerial ping pong - certainly something you didn't get with the heavy leather balls haf a century ago.  However, his main comment is simply how fit modern players are; not just the backs who seem to be able to run all day but also the forwards who, he reckons, are fitter than even the sprightest back of 50 years ago.  Oh, naturally he reckons Ireland were robbed!

Just as an aside:

I wonder which of today's players we will look back on in years to come and mention in the same breath as Willie John, JPR, Blanco et al?

It's impossible to make direct comparisons as so many things have changed over the years. Finance, training facilities, personal trainers, mental gurus, etc.

Perhaps it's nostalgia to a large extent but personally, no matter how good modern "stars" are, I feel the money and celebrity have taken something away from the greatness of some of the earlier sporting giants.

[quote user="Renaud"]Fining the French team for standing-up to the Hakka is outrageous.[/quote]

I read about this and thought it was a joke. Technically the game had not started so who gives a toss. The only thing I would have thought they could fine them for would be if the French got a bit upset and gave a few of the AB's a 'smack' whilst they were performing the Hakka. Obviously the IRB have too much time on their hands and are short of cash. [:(]

I have always previously defended the AB haka but this fine has made me question whether it is now an unacceptable way of putting pressure on your opponents who seemingly no longer have the right of reply.  The IRB have made themselves look very foolish

[quote user="Renaud"]Fining the French team for standing-up to the hakka is outrageous.[/quote]

[:-))] tell me it's a joke ?... it's not an april fool's is it [blink] 

No ... it is October [blink] Just that I've been away for a few days so now catching up  ...

They weren't standing up to the hakka, they were hugging in solidarity against the enemy !! Are players not allowed to stand and find solace, however they want to manisfest it, before a match ?... The kiwis are allowed their waring dance so can't we have a row of united players.

If they had turned their backs to the opposition and got a telling off I would have understood but a fine for standing in unison ...

IRBS is truly a bunch of [Www] and short of cash to pay their bar bill ...

Snot fair rules OK!

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]I apologise unreservedly to all skirt-wearers.[/quote]AS a ex rugby playing scot I accept your unreserved apology although I must say I have never even thought of playing in a kilt. As they are heavy garments they would be a bit of a handicap on the playing field.[:D]