Rugby World Cup

Gardian

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Last night, some French people asked me who I thought would win.

I said "les meilleurs"....so I guess I can't now make any legitimate complaint and OH and I will have to take some stick, possibly later today when the rugby-mad French neighbour calls which he might do just so's he could have a good-natured gloat!

[/quote]

Coincidently last time in leicester picked up wallaby jersey from a charity shop.

Might just get an outing next week.[:)][I]

[quote user="JK"]So. Tomorrow's game is effectively the final. At least if the French play next week like they did today.[/quote]

Think I'll just do a greasy morning next sunday.

But the 3rd place play-off on friday should be a good game.

I'll certainly watch that match.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

The convincing and glorious victory by the french team against a depleted adversary suggests that next week will be a walk over for the winners of the sunday game.

[/quote]

Although the French have been less than convincing (to put it mildly), I certainly wouldn't write them off against whoever they end up playing. If I was Lievremont, I'd sneakily fancy my chances against the All Blacks.

Wales were terrific, but they shouldn't blame their defeat on the sending-off. Adam Jones' injury was IMO a big loss, compounded by what happened after that. In the final analysis, Wales missed 3 kickable penalties and a conversion. They should have had at least 9pts out of that.

I know that before the Tournament I said that I wish I'd had some of the 14-1 on offer against France winning - not sure if I said it on here, but I did say it - honest!

[quote user="Gardian"]

You'd be expecting England vs France in the Qtr Final on 8/10: obviously I'll be behind our guys, but I've a sneaking suspicion that France could surprise a lot of people this year. At 14-1 (last time I looked) that's a pretty good bet.

The Wallabies to win it though I'm afraid - the All Blacks just never seem to do it on the day.

[/quote]

Ah - I did say it on here.[I]

True Alan.

Our neighbours have put up a bloody great tricoleur outside their front gate - I've told them that they'll have to "mangez leur drapeau" by midday next weekend.

They're pessimistic in truth, but funnier things have happened! 

I think the French have an on/off switch in their head. If the switch is 'off' then they play like they did against Tonga, not exactly their finest moment. If the switch is 'on' they can play brilliantly although I wouldn't use their game against England as an example.

In 1999 France played the AB's in the semifinals. They went in as very much the underdog just like they will this year and everyone expected them to get thrashed. They were loosing in the first half (24 - 10), just as everyone predicted but true to form they came out with the switch 'on' in the second half (they always seem to play beter in the second half) and beat them 43 - 31 so you never know with the French. They then went on to play Australia in the final by the way and got beat 35 - 12.

Having said all that statistically the AB's, since they were formed in 1903, have won over 75% of all their international games.

Betting on who's going to win personally I think is a bit difficult because I would not write the French off, they have beaten the AB's in the past. However checking the odds it seems every book maker has the AB's to win by a long shot so at 18 to 1 it might be worth having a fiver on France, you never know. [:D]

[quote user="pachapapa"]  Hoping france lose but a bit resigned to a dour boring game. [/quote]  

Not watching [:'(][:'(][:'(] but got it on tape for this evening when hopefully the gathering of the tribe crisis council  will have disbanded  [:@] Bluddy families ... 

[quote user="pachapapa"] Wasn't the game on friday sublimely entertaining!  [/quote]

It must have been as the office was virtually empty ! Only 16 people present - of which 2 French, yours truly included - out of the usual 53 staff ... Wonder what the atmosphere will be like on Monday ... Will the Welshies mourn with me ...

An excellent game. Both teams were extremely strong. Commiserations to all French fans. Being Welsh through and through I had hoped for Wales to come into the final, but there we go! However with daughter an NZ resident who had attended the France v Japan game and the Wales v. Samoa game I was delighted that NZ won the day. The fact remains that NZ have not lost one match during the World Cup - worthy winners.

I see we have another Rugby expert! [6]

A very good game I thought and had I been there and paid for a ticket then I would have felt I would have had my monies worth. The better team (just) on the day won but France can hold their heads up, they played very well. The referee, always the the most discriminated against person on the field, was well balanced I thought. Definitely one of the better games in the tournament along with Wales against South Africa and Ireland against Australia, three of the best games in the tournament. Why was it a good game, well look at the points. The New Zealanders thought it was going to be a 'Black Wash' well it turned out far from it. Probably one of the best finals we have seen for a while.

Yes, once again it belies the thought that there has to be a lot of points scored for it to be a good game.

Obviously there was nothing in it on the day, but the AB's deserved to win more for their performance in the competition overall than for how they played today. As usual, they got away with murder at the breakdown and in some dodgy off-the-ball incidents.

It was a good RWC I thought, as much for some of the games involving 'lesser' teams.

Interesting that Shaun Edwards has announced his 'availability' (leaving Wasps, contract up with Wales). A successor to Johnson or his new right hand man?