Kindles etc

Pommier

I've never fancied a Kindle, but someone has just given me a DVD containing 3000 compressed ebooks.

What sort of ebook reader should I buy and is it best to buy from a French or a UK site? - I seem to remember reading somewhere that buying ebooks has to be from the country where it was originally registered.

Any advice please?

Sorry, can't advise on different readers, but I know there are lots.

However, I tried to buy a Kindle from Amazon UK for delivery to France and it refused to do it - even though I was using a UK bank card.  I was automatically re-directed to Amazon France and then had to 'fiddle' registration in order to buy books from Amazon UK

If you've got the books on DVD then it doesn't matter a hoot where a

Kindle is registered, you can transfer them from your computer.

If you need them in a different format there are numerous web sites which will convert them online and for free.

Not moralising but just so let you know, those books are almost guaranteed to be pirated.

Thanks for the help - it's all new to me!

So the books are easily uploaded onto any reader, even a Kindle? I was a bit concerned that only books downloaded from Amazon would go onto a Kindle as on the Amazon site it says that books can't be shared or lent.

[quote user="Pommier"]Thanks for the help - it's all new to me!

So the books are easily uploaded onto any reader, even a Kindle? I was a bit concerned that only books downloaded from Amazon would go onto a Kindle as on the Amazon site it says that books can't be shared or lent.[/quote]

It is easy to upload ebooks onto a Kindle: all you have to do is to connect it to a computer and then you can bring across ebooks from the DVD - just "drag and drop". Re sharing: Kindle purchases can be viewed on (IIRC) up to seven devices (Kindles, Kindle apps on computers or tablets or smartphones, etc) registered to the same Kindle account.

[quote user="NormanH"]I can't stand the silly objects, but in any case  one has no need of a Kindle.

You can read ebooks with various programmes on a PC and have the advantage of a decent size screen

One that I use is Calibre.

[/quote]

That must be really handy on the train, aircraft or beach.

Or in bed and in any case the size is equivalent to a paperback book so whatever criticism you level at it size is the least valid.

Oh and the text size can be expanded opening up the world of reading to the visually challenged who might not be able to read an ordinary book.

I'll bet you've never even tried one have you ?

It's not the Kindle which is the silly object !

If you have the means to open an Amazon UK A/C then you can register any Kindle to it and download any content.

the size is equivalent to a paperback book so whatever criticism you level at it size is the least valid.

On my 27 inch screen the height on calibre is rather more than the height of a paperback page..

When I read it is a serious activity that I prefer to do in the comfort of sitting at my desk.

Why on earth would anybody read in bed????

On a train or plane a laptop is just as good.

In any case the OP asked how she could read a DVD with ebooks on it.

someone has just given me a DVD containing 3000 compressed ebooks.

What sort of ebook reader should I buy ?

I reckon putting the DVD into a laptop or PC and reading them with Calibre is easier than reading a DVD with a Kindle...

And Calibre is free....

[quote user="JSKS"]NormanH said:

''In any case the OP asked how she could read a DVD with ebooks''

Which makes your condemnation of the ereader a little baffling.[/quote]

You have lost me.

I suggested reading the ebooks on the DVD with the programme Calibre on a PC or Laptop.

My 'condemnation' (which is of course a question of personal taste) is of the Kindle, which I think might be less suited  to reading from a DVD than a computer would be as I said above..

[quote user="NormanH"]When I read it is a serious activity that I prefer to do in the comfort of sitting at my desk.

You are in the minority then, most read for pleasure and prefer to do it somewhere other than at a desk.

Why on earth would anybody read in bed????

Is that a serious question or are you really that insular and ignorant of what most ordinary people like to do ?

On a train or plane a laptop is just as good.

Demonstrating conclusively that you've never tried a Kindle. Laptop battery is what, 2 or 3 hours, not too good on a long flight, a Kindle a week or two, no contest.

[/quote]Even diehards who swore they would never even consider anything other than a physical book Kindle are usually won over in the first few days.

Give it up now Norman, you can't win this one !

I repeat:

The OP said

I've never fancied a Kindle, but someone has just given me a DVD containing 3000 compressed ebooks.

What sort of ebook reader should I buy

My answer is as you have them on DVD there is no need to buy anything.

You can read them on your PC or laptop with the free programme Calibre.

That seems a perfectly reasonable and pertinent reply to someone who states that she doesn't fancy a Kindle but may be under the misapprehension that she needs to spend money on one of these gadgets in order to read an ebook.

I loved my Kindle, but sadly it died last month. I read a lot, and thoroughly enjoyed reading my Kindle in bed; what a pleasure to read a few pages when tucked up in bed. It was great on sleepless nights, no pages turning etc to bother my sleeping husband, no losing the page when I dropped off to sleep for a few minutes. I now use my birthday ipad - almost as good, but unfortunately not for reading on the balcony - there's much more glare than with my Kindle.

I can't imagine ever sitting reading a book at my computer.

My Kindle Touch, the original one, fits in my pocket [8-|]

My MacBook Pro 13 doesn't [:-))]

I can see the screen on my Kindle in STRONG sunlight  [8-|]

I can't see the screen of my MacBook even in bright sunlight [:-))]

Horses for courses? [;-)]

Don't know about the others, but as I said I have a Touch and SWMBO

reciently got a Paperwhite. She was not too keen on the idea of a Kindle

and prefered paperbacks. Now hers gets a LOT of use and I am seriously

thinking of getting a Paperwhite for myself?

We both like our Kindles a great deal and I too use Calibre when I get books from other than amazon. Our Kindles were bought via amazon.fr but are both registered on .uk. If we wanted to change to .fr it takes just a few seconds to do, so no problem there. There are a lot of sites offering free books and it only takes a few minutes, using alibre, to change them to the Kindle format.

Even the Kindle Fire has a glossy screen which makes it harder to see in bright light, but with the Kindle the brighter the light the easier it is to read it. Magic [kiss]

I have had two Nooks and they both suffered from split screens (causing a bright spot when the light was on) and were returned under guarantee. My original Kindle was without a light (and no touch screen) and while it worked fine I replaced it recently for a new paperwhite which is absolutely excellent. In my opinion go for the Paperwhite you will not regret it. I bought mine for £109 from Argos while we were in the UK on holiday.