Bonfire-how bad for the environment?

Monika

My favourite job in the garden is making a bonfire once or twice a year. My french neighbour however has told me that it is not environmentally friendly. Has anybody got any data or has it completely upset my carbon footprint and I have to go on the bus (nor take any flights) for the rest of the year?

Depends on what you're burning.  If it's old wood and garden waste (twigs, branches, etc) then a bonfire is practically carbon neutral.  

If however, you are burning old mattresses, sofa and lead painted doors, then it's not so good!

Ask your neighbour why she thinks it's not environmentally sound.

Where it is necessary to burn some waste then leave it to do once a year, say June when it will have dried out and burn more efficiently with less smoke and carbon drifting around .

This also helps animal life and possible hibernating hedgehogs etc.,otherwise compost as much as possible.

A bonfire once or twice a year! I wish. We have about a hectare with loads of trees and hedges. Some trees are polarded and the hedges are cut about twice a year. Between these cuttings, the twigs and stuff which gets blown off the trees, the hydrangea heads, pampas grass cuttings and those weeds like couch grass and bramble which must be burned I could do with a bonfire about once a month. What I would like to know is how the French manage to burn damp stuff. An hour after it has stopped raining I have seen a Frenchman with a gently burning bonfire. Me , I have resorted to barbeque lighter fluid at times. And yes, I do compost whatever I can.

[quote user="Ab"]

Where it is necessary to burn some waste then leave it to do once a year, say June when it will have dried out and burn more efficiently with less smoke and carbon drifting around .

This also helps animal life and possible hibernating hedgehogs etc.,otherwise compost as much as possible.

[/quote]

If yu were to light a fire anywhere in the South of France in June Ab you would be in a boat load of trouble and proably start a big fire all around you. we are banned from fire lighting from about now until October time. If you have a load of garden waste why not take it to your local dechetery and let them chip or compost it for the use of the local council. They all do it now as far as I know? I stand to be corrected though??

As was said, if it is green waste and is burned then it will be CO2 neutral. It will put back what it has absorbed during it's life. But it may upset the neighbours if the wind is blowing their way, but they won't worry when they are having their bonfires.

What comes around goes around peut etra??

As my neighbours don't live there (their cottage is an "everlasting" renovation project) their washing is not a problem more my conscience as an environmentally "friendly" person! I think we have a ban as well during the summer (not last summer). Thank you for all the advice, I might just stick to the bonfire twice a year (with my broom at the ready). My neighbour told me that French Farmers start their bonfires with a tyre filled with petrol, that may be the reason why it keeps burning even when it rains!!

OK

burning organic garden rubbish is carbon neutral - BUT you will be producing particulates (fine solid particles in the smoke - in fact this is the smoke) which is less good for the envirnment.

Composting does release some CO2 but much of the carbon remains in the compost so you could say it is carbon negative - and it improves your soil more than just adding wood ash.

So compost what you can and burn what is too coarse and woody to quickly compost.  Alternatively (and best if you have the space) leave the woody bits in piles to rot down over 5-10 years - which is brilliant for wildlife as this is an important surce of insect and invertibrate food