Ordering breakfast for one - with two sharing?

Wendy

How do you cope with this? we have had a spate of French guests wanting to order and pay for one breakfast but share it between two people. We don't allow it - because they have no intention of drinking from the one cup, glass or eat from one plate...

One the one occasion we did allow this - three years ago - the couple did not 'share' so much as just about clear the decks of the breakfast items - and we provide quite a varied breakfast buffet. And yet they only expected to pay for one breakfast!

Does anyone else get this request and what do you do?

I have often shared a dessert with my husband after a meal, also picked on his pizza while out for a pint.  However; I think the line has got to be drawn somewhere.  I would never have the cheek to share a complete meal with him, and to even take a peanut off his plate on a buffet deal is a bare faced insult to the proprietor.

However, if I were staying at your place Jura, I would do it purely for a bit of Aussie entertainment [:-))]

We include breakfast in the price.  But if they insist on just one breakfast, don't give them two cups or plates, just provide what you would give one person, ie one croissant, one yoghurt, bread for one person.  Don't let anyone say it's petty - after all, it is the awkward guests that are petty, and just trying it on. 

Just an observation :  I heard that a British-owned B&B in our area charges 75€ for room and breakfast.  I was very surprised as they are not a hotel and are charging above the rate of our local one, which is extremely well presented and comfortable.  Is this, however, what people are charging now????

[quote user="Will"]What's the problem? Chambres d'Hotes/B&B rates include breakfast for however many people are booked into the room. If they like to eat off the same plate let them - it's less washing up for you. [:)][/quote]

He's not a CDH (B&B). He has I believe something like 14 rooms so he is a hotel and as such can charge for breakfasts where as if he were a B&B it would be illegal not to include the price of breakfast within the rooms price.

Thanks Quillan, that explains it. Since it was asked in the B&B part of the forum, I thought that's what it was about - and as you say, breakfast is an integral part of B&B.

So I suppose that as long as you only serve sufficient for one normal breakfast, that solves the problem. And if you operate a buffet system then you charge for the number of people partaking of the buffet.

Oops sorry I was wrong but then in two posts (the thread about towels) he has two different numbers in one post he says 12 rooms in another he says 8, either way he is above the legal quantity of 5 for a CDH so he can charge for breakfasts where as in my case we offer a supplement for a full English.

[quote user="Callie"]
I heard that a British-owned B&B in our area charges 75€ for room and breakfast.  I was very surprised as they are not a hotel and are charging above the rate of our local one, which is extremely well presented and comfortable.  Is this, however, what people are charging now????
[/quote]

Can't speak for elsewhere, but €70 - €75 is the going rate around here this Summer.  That's for a good quality place.

I suppose it depends on what you want. If it's the whole experience of a really nice CdH with a large bedroom, ensuite with a swish suite, nice crisp linen and fluffy towels then that sounds about right.

If it's quick stop somewhere to sleep and move on in the morning, then a budget chain hotel at 45€ plus 12€ fpr two breakfasts would suffice for lots of people. If you want to charge these higher prices then people want to leave the next morning with a smile on their face and a wish to return at sometime in the future.

For one thing the accountant wants to see everything 'itemised' - another is that not all guests want to take breakfast - many of the Spanish/Catalans do not - and would take issue with it being included in the room tariff. That's why we price it seperately.

That's okay Quillan you were correct on both counts, we're running with 8 rooms now - we took the other rooms out of circulation.

I forgot you B&B'ers included brekkie in the price.

[quote user="Benjamin"]I suppose it depends on what you want. If it's the whole experience of a really nice CdH with a large bedroom, ensuite with a swish suite, nice crisp linen and fluffy towels then that sounds about right.

If it's quick stop somewhere to sleep and move on in the morning, then a budget chain hotel at 45€ plus 12€ fpr two breakfasts would suffice for lots of people. If you want to charge these higher prices then people want to leave the next morning with a smile on their face and a wish to return at sometime in the future.

[/quote]

Trouble is, most people want your first scenario at the second price!

[quote user="Jura"]

How do you cope with this? we have had a spate of French guests wanting to order and pay for one breakfast but share it between two people. We don't allow it - because they have no intention of drinking from the one cup, glass or eat from one plate...

One the one occasion we did allow this - three years ago - the couple did not 'share' so much as just about clear the decks of the breakfast items - and we provide quite a varied breakfast buffet. And yet they only expected to pay for one breakfast!

Does anyone else get this request and what do you do?

[/quote]

I don't run a B&B, but consider this request completely OT, particularly if you are not serving one modest breakfast, but are providing access to a fairly wide range of items.

On the other hand, I frequently order breakfast for 1 in hotels, as I like to breakfast before I bathe and dress.  My husband never shares my breakfast; sometimes he eats in the hotel and sometimes he goes out for breakfast.  I have occasionally wondered if the hotel management thinks we're sharing on those occasions.

I am like you TW - when we are away travelling I often treat myself to a breakfast for 'one' by getting up and going down to the dining room early and eating in complete peace and quiet by myself. My OH is too lazy when away on holiday to get up before nine, and the kids sleep on too, and it sure is blisssss to enjoy a cup of coffee and a plate of goodies to myself without having to butter 'other people's' toast or croissants and pour their juices and hot chocolates for them...

And no, I never take him back 'something' from the dining room...if he's too tired to get up then tough titties.

We charge 7 euros for our breakfast spread which I think is very good value for what we offer; I note though that it is just the French, and sometimes the Spanish, who try the 'two for one' thing. What's 7 euros extra when you are on holiday? On occasion I have seen a wife come down and eat - having ordered for one - and then take a croissant and yoghurt back upstairs obviously for the hubby, and that's fine with me.

But those who want to pay for one and sit and eat for two?...nope, not with this little black duck [;-)]

7€ sounds a bargain for a hotel breakfast.  I agree that you should not allow anyone to sit down for breakfast who is not paying for it.  Sharing a dessert (off the same plate) is not unusual in restaurants, but that's usually after a couple of other courses as well.  But sharing breakfast?  That's taking the mickey.  Foot down with a firm hand?

But this section of the forum is for B&B owners. It seems the 3 seperate forums , Gite owners, b&b owners and hotel/ restaurant owners are merging into one ,then it becomes people talking at cross purposes. Mind you, I don't know what can be done about it?

W Rat

• 1 month later...
yes breakfast surely must be included.....we enjoy giving people a pleasureable breakfast experience....always fresh fruits with variety,youghurts,jams,chestnut spread,peanut butter...morning goods;pain au raison etc....or maybe the northern France cake made from creme fresh...or Italian xmas bun,breads...of course,prunes soaked in Eatl grey, dates,frehs fig compot....a choice of coffees from the gagia or herbal or conventional teas plus....on most occassions some scrambled eggs with chives from the garden or smoked sausages with grilled plum tomatoes[soon will be from our garden]Juice....sometimes freshly pressed orange or a very pleasant pressed grapes....Perhaps lots of wahing up...and a little extra effort...but we really enjoy doing it this way.Oh sometimes...melon and cured ham...smoked salmon or a small cheese board.