last min bookings

jon

I think I know what a lot of reasons people have left it so late is that they have found that a lot of people put on the big discounts to get a booking in a property that as the time gets near could stay empty for that time. I think the ferry is booked and they just wait and say well we will find something anyway as france is a little saturated with gites is it not. Thus getting the very last minute deals at very good prices.

[quote user="Thebiga"]I think I know what a lot of reasons people have left it so late is that they have found that a lot of people put on the big discounts to get a booking in a property that as the time gets near could stay empty for that time. I think the ferry is booked and they just wait and say well we will find something anyway as france is a little saturated with gites is it not. Thus getting the very last minute deals at very good prices.[/quote]

Might be the case with Gites but with B&B's all I can say is people seem to be queuing to get in. We must have about 3 phone calls and four or five emails a day which we can't fulfill because we are full (well about 6 days free in the next two months).

Had so many people asking for the first 2 weeks in September ..... unbeliveable .. whats happens in the UK for this fortnight ??

~~~

Those who don't have children wait until the kids have all gone back to school.  It's what we used to do anyway!!            

Well I'm glad it is brilliant everywhere else - though somehow I wonder.  The whole of our area is quiet.  The guests we have are mostly repeat bookings and last minute requests.  Yesterday I took clients to St Cirq Lapopie - a tourist trap if ever there was one - and we were able to walk into a restaurant at 12.30 without having booked, previously unheard of in that area during August.  Ditto the Pont Valentré in Cahors, straight into a car park alongside instead of circling for ages looking for something.  Much pleasanter of course, but not much good for trade.  I am pleased for all those who are doing so well, but spare a little thought for those areas where currently the tourists seem to have packed up -I doubt wether several of our local restaurants and businesses will be able to take the strain and will still be here this time next year.

I never said that!

Being busy is what I like.

It appears that you would prefer that I report that everything is going badly.

No .....positive thoughts create positive action.

Norman you sound like one of those TV actors who prefers to be grumpy.

I am sure that you are a happy person really....but show this side of yourself

That is sad .....Cerise that local restaurants are having a hard time.

This financial crisis is making life very difficult. We are working hard at letting people know that we are here and what we offer.I do appreciate that small local restaurants rely on mass tourism to their area.

The St Emilion area seems to be almost as busy as ever!

Just having an hour sitting down...away from the chores.

Hi all

I have been amazed to see that our local bar/cafe closed for "vacances" during the last 2 weeks (what must be their busy time).

Also whilst away for a few days we and 5 French people tried the door of a hotel only to find - closed on Weds!

Also our local town has a sign on a restaurant saying vacances from 15 August.

Surely this must be their busiest time with tourists and they would want to maximise their custom.

It would appear that "the vacance" is more important than the income until the money runs out!

Wendy

Well we look at our life here as living! That includes working.

So making a living is the important.

It is looking positive.

We have been visited by 2 journalists in the las 4 weeks as paying guests...so we must be doing something right!

[quote user="jon"]

We have been visited by 2 journalists in the las 4 weeks as paying guests...so we must be doing something right!

[/quote]

Every one can brag, we have had Mark Almond (Soft Cell), two authors, a lady from the Telegraph Food and Wine, a production crew for a documentary, a film writer/producer, a well known actress and quite a few others. Its not something I would normally mention but having a couple of journalists is not such a big thing. Sometimes you don't even realise who they are until they go especially, if like me, your not in to this sort of thing.

[quote user="WendyG"]It would appear that "the vacance" is more important than the income ...[/quote]

This is an aspect of French business that we British people can find confusing and difficult to comprehend ... but vive la différence!

Sue [:)]

[quote user="Benjamin"]You braggart Quillan!!!!  [:P]

Let's be fair you have been going a lot longer than jon.

[/quote]

I know but when the chance arises why not. I expect everyone has had somebody famous or important stay at some time or another once they have become established. Tony Blair stayed down the road from us, I tried to pop round with a camouflage jack with a big life sized picture of a wild boar on it so he could go for a stroll in the woods on a Wednesday........ hunt day, just wouldn't fall for it I'm afraid. [;-)] .

In WHAT way has Quillan been "going for longer" living in France or in the catering/leisure industry?

Or is he simply older and wiser!

You really are all trying to prove your point are you not!

Not "into" this anti Jon nonsense....work to do.

Actually Jon I don't think he meant it that way. I have been going 8 years with my CDH and the odds of a few people who one might consider being famous or marginally famous or from journalism in general increases as time goes by.

Perhaps I am being a bit frivolous as I don't have to cook tonight for my guests, the first time in many weeks. I am off to the pool now with a nice cold 'tinny' and will enjoy it while I can for tomorrow is another day and its back to the grind stone again but then its good fun and I enjoy it.

Well it sounded like an after school bullying assult....lets pick on someone vunerable.

Not venerable...I have no reason to feel small or inadequate as, inspite of the odd problem relating to ex uk professionals everything is going well...or as well as excepted in the current climate.

Journalists often feel like writing something when they have a pleasant stay. That always helps....nothing conected to any form of fame.Not everyone views France in the same way as Daisy Waugh!

So one or two of you with pettites frites on their shoulders eh...unable to accept different life styles and different assets.Most of you are good spellers and good with the computor...I am not...but I can cook.

[quote user="jon"]

So one or two of you with pettites frites on their shoulders eh...unable to accept different life styles and different assets.Most of you are good spellers and good with the computor...I am not...but I can cook.

[/quote]

I think its the way you come over at times with a somewhat superior, self advertising attitude with a touch of belittling others attitude thrown in. You may not mean to be but thats what it looks like to me and one or two others I see.

I, like many others, can cook as well and lets be honest its not exactly rocket science. Men and women have been doing it ever since they discovered fire. Where it does get cleaver and probably where your skill lies is in putting the right mix of flavours together which is the bit that people like me have a problem with hence we use a cook book.

As to being good at spelling well actually I pretty naff so I rely on the old smell checker but then it doesn't correct grammar which is another area I have problems with so you are not alone.