Should you have the right to refuse bookings from homosexual couples?

Iceni

How would you know that two people of the same sex who made a booking together were a homosexual couple? Not all gays conform to the common stereotypes.

I'd rather accept bookings from gay people than many so-called 'straight' ones anyway.

It's 2010, not 1956, so NO.

Certainly get you in a lot of trouble in France, and as they're always 10 years behind the UK on this sort of thing, I'd guess it would be the same there. Possible jail in Germany, no namby pamby fine.

By coincidence Matthew Parris wrote about this exact subject in the Times today with reference to a B&B in Cookham (Berkshire) who declined a homosexual couple.  Although gay himself  he could not raise the energy to get excited about it ..........

I recall a similar event in Scotland a year or two ago - it seems people with strongly-held religious views find this a difficult area.

I live in Brighton so hardly an issue locally........

Whenever I see threads of this nature I can't help wondering how many readers are sitting quietly afraid to voice their honest opinion for fear of being ripped to shreds by the zealots, an anonymous poll might be a better way of gauging the consensus.

Would people react in the same way I wonder if the story were about a Jew being turned away from a Muslim owned B&B for instance, discrimination is discrimination is it not ?

Excitement in my 'home' village, whatever next !

Frankly for some age groups its a great place to live, there is the river, numerous pubs/restaurants (Terry Wogans daughter owns a very nice, popular eatery there, fairly close to the B&B in question ) a good selection of shops: hardware, hairdressers, florists, food shop two good butchers, dry cleaners, nursery school, three primary schools, its on the line to Paddington( and is just 35 minutes on the right train, 50minutes  if not) and between the M4 and M40 but its Conservative with a big C, just look at Theresa Mays majority.

In my opinion its also the type of place where people go to church for a good gossip and to see who is wearing what...but of course others may feel differently.

I am only surprised it hasn't happened before.

[quote user="AnOther"]Whenever I see threads of this nature I can't help wondering how many readers are sitting quietly afraid to voice their honest opinion for fear of being ripped to shreds by the zealots, an anonymous poll might be a better way of gauging the consensus.

Would people react in the same way I wonder if the story were about a Jew being turned away from a Muslim owned B&B for instance, discrimination is discrimination is it not ?

[/quote]

I wondered that - or whether a non Jew / Muslim would be turned away from a Jewish owned self catering business.  I'm thinking that the use of the kitchen for non Kosher foods / pork or mixing meat and milk etc...  Or even whether a orthodox Jew would want to stay in a place where the kitchen had not been blessed by a rabbi and where pork products may have been prepared?

I was once refused a room in a B & B in the Scottish borders on the grounds that I was on my own. I think if people are in the B & B business they should only refuse people for a genuine reason. For example if they are behaving loutishly or are exceptionally dirty.

Hoddy

Even 30 years ago 2 single blokes or a group of single guys were unwelcome at nearly all seaside camp sites, holiday camps and an awfull lot of B & B's, I am sure that in this binge drinking lads and ladettes epoque even more places dont want to accept them.

Unless they play the one of the G.L.B.T discrimination cards. [:-))]

So yes, you have the right to refuse whomsoever you want in your own home but just make sure that it is not on grounds that could be discriminatory to minorities.

In practice a gay male couple will be accepted in far more establishments than a single sex heterosexual pair, I know whom I would rather rent to.

If you do and think that it's ok to do so, whatever next, no blacks, no dogs, no Irish?

As the father of a gay child and having several gay people in the family, I'd rather let a room to them than a lot of the heterosexual people in the family and several people here have met J's gay cousin and his partner, could not wish for better or more caring house guests.

If people have those sorts of deeply held beliefs, I agree they should not be in the hospitality business.  It's like the Blood Oath Catholics refusing rooms to a Jew, disgraceful.

[quote user="Bugsy"]Natural hostility from the PC crowd [:D]

The choice is yours Iceni, and no-one elses, really.

[/quote]

The question is "should you, not should I" - if I ran a B&B type business I already know what I would do.

John

It's a good job I don't have a B&B. If I did it would be named after Procrustes and follow his principles. I will not even let guests bring meat into my second house.

I thought it amusing that Gorgon was making a press conference with Mandelsome and Eyebrow-man. A female journo asked Gorgon if his wife was an asset in election time and he said she was and he couldn't do without her - I was waiting for the same question to be asked of Mandelsome.

We've had couples that may have been gay men or women stay in our gites on several occasions and they've all been great people. On one occasion when two elderly Yorkshiremen were here, it was like having two Wainwrights staying - wonderful week!

However I repeat "may have been" because they were all same sex bookings and we have no idea as to their sexual orientation.

I believe that many heterosexuals who really do enjoy a genuine loving and sexually active relationship, can understand and accept the fact of homosexual love.

Should one have the right to refuse? Yes, on the basis that if you do the applicants know where they stand right away and can seek a more hospitable environment.

Steve