Our household has the flu

Kitty

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="NormanH"]In any case Flu is viral and none of these would have any effect. [/quote]

Surely, when a child vomits (Norman - you should see the mess that this creates!), there is bacteria in there?  I have always assumed this to be the case and have always cleared it up with disinfectant.  Am I right that it starts off as a viral infection but can become a bacterial infection?  Does anyone know?

This flu does include periodic vomiting for some sufferers and just nausea for others.  I have now had the chance to talk to other mothers whose children have been affected here.  It would seem that not many adults are catching it.

Just caught up with this thread and send my best wishes to Cathy and children, hope you are all fit and well now.

At La Rochelle airport a few weeks ago announcements were made for passengers departing for the U.K. telling them they were going to an infected area and that if they became unwell during their stay they should inform the French consulate! Surprisingly at St Malo on the ferry last week no mention was made.

Good stuff this Dettol.

I found the following at http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/dettol/dettolh.htm where Dettol is listed as Chemical of the Month (don’t know which month, though.)

"Dettol is made by Reckitt & Colman and is commercially available as an inexpensive liquid anticeptic which is safe and gentle enough to use on the skin and yet powerful enough to also use as a disinfectant. This is because of its broad spectrum of antimicrobial action. It is effective against gram positive/negative bacteria, fungi, yeast, mildew and even the frightening "super-bug" MRSA. It is able to kill 98% of microbes in just 15 seconds as shown in agar patch studies ... To keep teenagers on board, it is even used to treat acne, which is caused by bacterial infections and not the over indulgence of the irresistible chemicals found in chocolate."

According to Wikipedia, a Dettol advert which asserted that chopping boards contain 50 times as much bacteria as wc seats had to be withdrawn because its statements could not be verified, and sales of Dettol are high in Queensland where it has been found to be effective in controlling the invasive cane toads.

It would seem admirably suited to cleaning up flu victims’ vomit.

The French press are still giving a very different picture:

Ce nouveau foyer s'ajoute aux 434 cas confirmés de grippe A/H1N1 recensés en France depuis le début de l'épidémie, selon un bilan donné vendredi par l'InVS.

Dans

le cas de Megève, les malades sont «confinés» et «isolés dans des

chambres prévues à cet effet», a précisé la préfecture. Samedi matin,

un médecin se trouvait sur place pour administrer «comme pour une

grippe habituelle», un traitement symptomatique à «base de paracétamol

avec des prises régulières», et des «fluidifiants» pour ceux présentant

des «secrétions relativement abondantes», selon un médecin régulateur

du Samu de Haute-Savoie. Le Samu lui même n'a pas été appelé en renfort.

I really don't understand the discrepancy between Cathy's experience, and the official line. Yes, tonight on the news, there are those 34 cases (children's camp in the Alps) which are confined to a building, even with the yellow ribbon all around the area - and that made news, as if there have been no cases for a while until now.

So, what is really going on???? I also noted in tonight's news about those new cases, that the treatment does NOT include Tamiflu or Relenza - that seems to have been dropped, not being thought necessary or perhaps not effective enough?

I have been in touch with family in the Bordeaux area, none of them was aware of any cases in their immediate environment (all of them have children of different ages, and all live in different parts).

Should we conclude that there is some kind of conspiracy of silence, and if so, what purpose could it serve?

Maybe trying to lie through the tourist season, not wanting to put anybody off from visiting France and spending their kopeks here?

5-e.  According to Wiki, the flu pandemic of 1918/1919 was called 'Spanish flu' because Spain (a neutral country during the First World War) had no news reporting restrictions and so everyone had the false impression that Spain had the worst of the outbreak.

Perhaps history is repeating itself?

SAMU told me that they are no longer testing for the virus - in our area, that is - so how can anyone know the numbers affected?  (By the way, we live just over 1.5 hours from Bordeaux.)

Haven't read this entire thread, so not sure if this link has already been posted.

http://www.invs.sante.fr/display/?doc=surveillance/grippe_dossier/points_h1n1/grippe_A_h1n1_060709/index.html

It is supposed to be updated daily but the currenet data is from July 6, noting that the next update will be July 8th ....    Today is July 12...

Still, the data isn't too old.

Edit:  Have no idea why the link is not click-able....

Glad everyone is recovered.

Cannot understand why Tamiflu was not prescribed, as although they are no longer testing for individual cases of Swine Flu, the policy is still to give Tamiflu to all suspected cases.

As they took swabs, was Swine Flu confirmed?

[quote user="Sprogster"]Glad everyone is recovered. Cannot understand why Tamiflu was not prescribed, as although they are no longer testing for individual cases of Swine Flu, the policy is still to give Tamiflu to all suspected cases. As they took swabs, was Swine Flu confirmed?[/quote]

Views are now changing about giving Tamiflu.  The problem is that the more it is prescribed and used, the more likely that a mutation will become immune to it - with the consequent effect that what is currently a fairly mild flu, could easily turn into a more virulent form with no suitable medication available - especially for the vulnerable members of the community.

Certainly, my doctor was very quick to make a joke of it when I asked whether I had contracted la grippe porcine.

As I was in Megève just before the report came out about the 34 cases and was in the Haute Savoie area for a few days before that, I have my own suspicions.

Of course, I can't be definite, especially as even a slight cold has a tendancy to exaggerate all my asthma symptoms with the accompanying coughing, spluttering, shortness of breadth, loss of voice, etc.  I avoid all contact with others and do not leave the house when I have these symptoms.

BTW, I did have the "flu jab" last winter but I don't suppose that would have any positive effects against this strain and, in any case, the effects might well have "worn off".

andyh4, views are changing with regards to not prescribing Tamilflu to well persons in close proximity to an infected person, as a precautionary measure. However, Tamiflu is still being prescribed for all those, who have contracted the illness and there are no suggestions this should be changed. The danger in delaying giving Tamiflu to an infected person, is that you have a very small 48 hour window of opportunity and if a patient goes onto develop severe symptoms, by that time you are probably too late to start Tamilflu. This policy is unlikely to change, as the imperative is to keep people out of hospital, as hospitals will quickly become overwhelmed if more people develop serious symptoms.

When SAMU telephoned me, I did ask whether Tamiflu was being issued in France.  The doctor said that it was available in France but that, in our case, it would not be of any use because my children already had the flu.

Cathy, statistically it is unlikely to be Swine Flu, as the numbers of people in France infected so far are very low.

Nonetheless, not at all impressed by your Doctor, as I would have thought as a precautionary measure you should have been given Tamiflu to keep you well, so you could continue to care for your ill children.

[quote user="Sprogster"]Cathy, statistically it is unlikely to be Swine Flu, as the numbers of people in France infected so far are very low. Nonetheless, not at all impressed by your Doctor, as I would have thought as a precautionary measure you should have been given Tamiflu to keep you well, so you could continue to care for your ill children.[/quote]

I have edited the title of the thread.  But SAMU telephoned me because my GP had contacted them and spoke to me for a good 10 minutes - I had to break off a couple of times to tend for my children and they stayed on the line.  I was asked me a series of questions, the result of which they warned me that we most probably had the H1N1 virus (they didn't call it grippe porcine but H1N1 - or something like it).  It couldn't be confirmed as they were not testing for it any longer.  They said that if we wanted anything, such as medication, deliveries were to be made to our gate.

My children were as ill as they have ever been.  They got it quickly and it was transmitted from one to the other very quickly.  I have a lot of experience of looking after sick children (a complicated story) and the reason that my children avoided getting worse was by me (a) keeping their temperatures down and (b) preventing them getting dehydrated.

I ensured that it wasn't transmitted to anyone else as I stayed at home, refusing visitors.

I have tried to avoid being alarmist in this thread but I would say that if everyone else got what my children had, the hospitals are going to be filled and overflowing.  I am not sure that everyone will be able to cope at home.