Our household has the flu

Kitty

Thanks for asking, .

No, I havenb't got it, fingers crossed.

I'd say it is about the same, but in my son's case, the difference is losing appetite + a temp that won't give up easily.

As for breathing difficulties, I can't say, since he is asthmatic...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frenchie, was going to PM you today so I'm glad to have had your news.

Poor G! As you know, I am asthmatic too and the flu did seem to trigger off and exaggerate all the asthma symptoms.

Unfortunately, nothing to be done other than just doing what you feel like, eating when you can and generally letting the illness take its course.

Thinking of you both![kiss]

Pierre, thinking of you too.  When you're better, I'll send you a PM about that hotel in Geneva you recommended to me.  It was very good indeed.

No professional knowledge, Frenchie, but I've read several times that definitely having this flu should confer immunity.

We are told that the peak has passed in UK for now, but that the second wave in the autumn will be a more serious set of events altogether.

Jo

[quote user="Sprogster"]From the number of people on this forum alone who have fallen ill with Swine Flu in France, we can only assume that the official French figures as to the number of cases is being widely under reported by officials.[/quote]

I convinced that is the case, Sprog.

Just did not seem logical that the UK was reporting over 100,000 new cases a week and France only a few hundred!

A couple of interesting developments in that the UK have released today information stating that now half those who have died did not have any pre-existing medical conditions.

Also that about 20% of those that are infected will be seriously ill, to the extent that they require home nursing care or hospitalisation.

From those posters who have endured this illness in France, it does seem worrying that Tamiflu does not appear to be more readily available if needed.

I really do not know anything about the background to what I have heard and read both in the UK and here in France. Obviously political considerations are at play again here and in the UK.

However surely it is a logical thought process to compare this flu with let us say a more 'conventional' flu and to bring a sense of balance into this.

I have friend in the UK and who happens to be in the Police. Would you be suprised to learn that certain arrests have taken place where people have 'fiddled' the script on the telephone line and these flu products are now both on Ebay and also finding their way to other countries. This is not gossip it is fact. You need to compare apples with apples and not apples with pears. We are just seeing banner headlines at the moment and reality may well be different one way or the other.

dragon rouge, the major difference between this and seasonal flu is that Swine Flu is much more contagious, with each infected person passing it on to an average of two other persons, which is twice the transmission rate of seasonal flu.

The other major difference is that it is younger people who are at most risk of serious complications, as people over 65 seem to have a degree of immunity.

You are right in that one should keep this in proportion, but people tend to worry more about their children and grandchildren then their own health and I am sure many parents will be breathing a sigh of relief when the vaccine is ready this Autumn, before things get much worse this Winter.

Well, after a particularly unpleasent week, I'm back in the land of the living, suddenly feeling so much better today.

Thanks to all the good wishes sent to me.

Thanks also to my lovely brilliant neighbour who took one look at me, phoned her doctor and dragged me off to the surgery right away. Without her I would still be suffering! I shall have to think of something nice to get her to show my appreciation. Can't be food/drink as she's on a strict diet, and definitely not a flower person. Any ideas!

I received 4 lots of medicine for pain/fever, nasal symptoms, cough and an antibiotic inhaler, when piggy flu had been confirmed (No. 49 in Lux) a guy from the local pharmacy was despatched to deliver a course of Tamiflu. That was funny as he was dressed up in a respirator and having established I was the patient, left the Tamiflu by the post box and legged it!!

Back to work tomorrow.

Sweets, I would be most interested to hear about your Geneva trip.

Cheers all,

Pierre, tried to PM you, the system wanted me to log in so I did, using the usual password which, this time, it won't accept.

So, I apologise to all the people on the Forum who has no interest in my trip but it seems like I will have to post it here for you, Pierre.  However, I will tell you about my flu so that it will still be "on thread".

Glad you're better so quickly.  You must be either very fit or very young; so which is it?

Anyway, Geneva:  booked with the Novotel, as you recommended.  Once I sussed out that there is a French and a Swiss quarter in the airport, everything was a cinch after that.

Rang the hotel from the airport and they sent a driver and car practically immediately.  Hotel was lovely and clean, nice room, tea and coffee making stuff, etc.  Restaurant served some nice food and you could eat in your room at no extra charge.  Me, I wanted to eat in the restaurant, of course, so that I could indulge in a spot of people-watching.

Next day, there was a man and a car waiting to take me back to the airport.  Now, I do think the value of 80 something euros excellent with B & B and car transfer inclus.

For a chain hotel, it was pretty damn good and I didn't in the least mind the impersonality as I was only "in transit" and it was great just being able to sit around the garden and pool and chill before continuing on my journey the next day.

After that, I had the most fab walking holiday in the pays de Mont Blanc.  Out on the mountains everyday in good company.  Charming old-fashioned chalet hotel, lovely scenery, some memorable meals and even managed to do some shopping (although I don't particularly like shopping).

Went to Megève where I think I picked up the flu (at least there was a bit of a mini outbreak there amongst schoolchildren round about the time I was there).

So, that was basically it.  But I did want to thank you for your recommendation and for pointing me to the website to make the booking.

Don't work too hard, Pierre.  This flu takes a bit of time getting over.....[;-)]

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="Clair"][quote user="suein56"]Is there a French equivalent to Dettol?[/quote]

http://www.sanytol.com/

[/quote]

Quick update:

Washing your hands with soap and water is said to be just as effective (translation), yet the demand for antibacterial gels has sky-rocketed in France, as they are handy to carry and allow the user to avoid contact with shared soap in schools and offices.

Should anyone be looking for antibacterial gels to carry in a (school?)bag, these are the names to look for at the pharmacy:

Baccide (available in 4 sizes)

Assanis (available in several sizes, formats and perfumes)

Antibaxil

Also available from Sephora.

[quote user="Clair"]

Washing your hands with soap and water is said to be just as effective (translation), yet the demand for antibacterial gels has sky-rocketed in France, as they are handy to carry and allow the user to avoid contact with shared soap in schools and offices.
[/quote]

Just a couple of thoughts.  If soap is so good at killing bacteria, and there is no doubt it is, it follows that the microbes can't live on the surface of soap so where's the harm in sharing?

secondly, since the 'flu is a virus, what effect does antibacterial gels have.

I'm not having a go or anything, just my idle mind wandering, I expect it will come back soon, it often does.

I don't think that soap "kills" bacteria.

My thinking is that it helps dissolve the grease naturally present on the skin surface and, when used with running water, helps to remove dirt and bacteria.

As a bar of soap is not washed off under running water, the dirt and bacteria present on the surface are passed on to the hands of the next persons who touch it.

The link in the post above makes it clear how the gels work (or don't work [:)]).

I wondered the same thing, Pierre...  However on the Baccide info page it does appear to work on some viruses, including "Virus de la grippe A souche porcine [H1N1]"

And don't NHS hospitals use the same type of alcohol hand-rub to reduce transmission of 'super-viruses'?

Malheureusement, dans ma tete, Baccide se dit "back-side." [blink]

I went back to school yesterday, and we had a speech from the headmaster about the H1N1 flu, it is taken very seriously.

The cleaning staff regularly clean all door handles, computer keyboards, etc..

If a student complains about a  headache, and has a temp, or/and sneezes, we immediately have to isolate him in the nursery while calling the parents/doctor.

Of course, the usual recommandations were given ( wash your hands as often as possible, if you cough cover your mouth and nose with a kleenex, etc)

If 3 cases in the school occur, the Prefet can ( and probably will) close the school.

Teachers would then be on duty to come to the school and communicate with the students through the internet and phone, for " continuité pédagogique" .

I noticed many teachers were scared about it all .

[quote user="Frenchie"]

If 3 cases in the school occur, the Prefet can ( and probably will) close the school.

[/quote]

The Quotidian (the children's newspaper) quoted that it was 3 cases in any class (i.e. not the whole school).

It also said that the school would be closed for 6 days and that a member of staff would have to be in school to answer calls from parents, pupils etc.  Lessons will be available on the Internet, television and radio.