French Health Issues

cooperlola

As many of you on here will have realised, the FHI website - which was born out of our campaign for healthcare rights - has not been updated for some time but has been available as a source of reference documents and basic information about the system here in France.

When it was set up, one of our founders who was an IT guru, kindly did all the work on the website and kept it up to date.  Subsequently he, along with all the other founders apart from me, left the group and went his own way.  I did manage to contact him and he re-jigged the site to indicate to new users that we could no longer deal with individual enquiries, and to direct them to this and another forum.  That's been working quite well up until now but within the last few weeks the site has been unavailable, I suspect because our rights to the domain name have expired.

Thus I am posting to let you all know why the website is now, in effect, dead, and to thank all those of you who helped with the campaign.  If nothing else, I do hope that the information available on the website was of use to some of you - it certainly took hours and hours of voluntary work on the part of a number of people, to produce it.

So, RIP FHI.  I think we did some good (some still reckon harm, but Abe Lincoln had a point, you can't please all the people all the time) and if not, it certainly kept me out of mischief!  I learnt a lot and I made some good friends along the way.  Thanks to all, not least those on this and that other forum which did so much to spread the message and allow us to stay here in France for a few years more.

I know that when you posted this Coops, you weren't craving congratulation - you've done it for information. 

However, you're going to get a bucketload of compliments, all richly deserved. It's history now, but it was pretty damm important for a lot of people at the time.

How much difference it made, nobody will ever know.  What it certainly did do was to provide information and reassurance.  Bravo.[Www]

Coops, I shall never forget when the FHI site burst onto the page here and everybody concerned felt such relief that there was a campaign for them to get behind.

I myself had little understanding of the issues so I learned a lot from what was said by you and others at the time.

Well done indeed [:)]

[quote user="tinabee"]It certainly was an excellent site and I have referred many people to it over the last few years. Thanks again to all who contributed, especially Cooperlola for untiring perseverance. [/quote]

Totally agree with this statement; the site became a haven of knowledgeable, factual calm in an increasingly hysterical period where correct information was either unfathomable or unobtainable from official sources.

Well done Coops for your time and energy, and RIP FHI after a job well done.

Sue

[quote user="Keni"]Thank you Coops .....[/quote]I may be the only founder left but I'm not the only person who did this - far from it.

R/H, I do wish I could somehow revive at least the info' on the site but sadly it was put to bed when I was in hospital after my accident and I wasn't around when the thing was finalised.  Now that the site has disappeared and our IT chap along with it (I wasn't the  only person he helped and one of his former clients - another of the founders - has similarly lost touch with him).  Thus I wouldn't know where to start to revive the site.  It is very frustrating not even being able to get the documents back.  I need to have a look on some old external hard drives to see if I saved any documents anywhere in which event your idea would certainly be an option.

The FHI campaign to reinstate lost rights to state healthcare insurance for the early retired was an outstanding success and full credit goes to all the people who were involved in driving it forward.

However, it's probably fair to say that it was 'of its time' so I'm not sure whether there would be any real benefit in recovering and re-publishing documentation that may no longer be relevent today.

Well, we spent a lot of time producing info' on how the system works here, how to get S forms, who's entitled to them etc etc.  That stuff I've still been using myself until very recently as reference documents.  That's what I meant, Sunday, not the info' on the campaign (most of which was archived anyway.)

[quote user="NormanH"]As long as it just the accurate bits..
[/quote]Quite.

R/H it will need some tweeking and editing  - it's not a job for one person as things get missed.  However, I'll have a go at it when I can (4th chemo this week so  I don't know how I'll feel or when this will be) and then maybe some of you can check it/give it your input.

Thanks so much for finding it Catalpa.  I think there are still some useful resources there - if only the links to official documents.

[quote user="dexter"]The links for the insurance providers were a godsend for me when I moved over here ... [/quote]

And for one of my friends, who just missed the cut off date we benefitted from, who arrived to spend her retirement here.

I gave her the link to the site and she sorted herself out some insurance acceptable to the powers that be.

Sue

• 5 weeks later...

So long, FHI. Thankyou to all those involved. It seems quite a long time ago now yet I still have  nightmares about the whole 'healthcare issue It comes back everynow and then to haunt me and I don't feel completely secure here.

In fact thats why I log on occasionally just to check that some new legislation is not  about to turn my world upsided down.  Thanks again Coops and to the others who lobbied so sucessfully.