Differences in health care

idun

Should I have expected that LBF would have kicked up about anything with a hint of  anglo saxon about it?  ie AZ!

No, I should not.

I know that the french health service can be considered manifique, well, not quite my experience, don't get me wrong we have had some excellent things, but also indifferent and even some bad.

The first difference that comes to mind is that what I consider somewhat of a uniquely french ailment, the 'crise de foie'.  I am still unsure what exactly it is, although many years ago I do  remember a poster being rather excited that their toubib had diagnosed a crise de foie!

I was thinking back. We were holidaying in England and my son had a cold and I asked my MIL's neighbour who had kids if she had some children's aspirin, she told me it had been banned for kids the previous week.  That was 1986.

In 1996 it was proscribed for under 16's in France. 

We have been told, when questioning certain things, that it was anglo saxon nonsense............. maybe some of it was, but other things were not and LBF eventually changed it's ideas, a la francais bien sur! Just took 10 to 20 years for them to do some things.

Yet another biased and pointless opinion. If there is a problem with a new drug any competent authority will investigate. The suggest that regarding AZ the French were being anti-British is not only pathetic but old news, the Telegraph and Express were saying it weeks ago because they know that their readers like that sort of thing.

I was baffled by the first sentence of the post too. If France has been isolated in expressing concerns over AZ, yes that would point to politics. But France is just one of many countries that's restricted AZ use, probably even the majority of those rich enough to be able to pick and choose, though I haven't counted.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/countries-resume-use-astrazeneca-vaccine-while-some-lose-confidence-2021-03-25/

Then there's Norway that's paused AZ use completely, and the US which decided not to approve it for use in the US - and yet it's France that gets the finger pointed at it as if it's behaving irrationally?

I suppose the post it's basically saying that whatever the UK decides is right and France in particular should not bother its tiny brain doing its own investigations and making its own mind up what's safe and what isn't, it should follow the UK in everything. Although in this case the UK went from saying "These claims are ridiculous, they're nothing but anti-UK propaganda" to saying, in the face of mounting evidence, "OK we will investigate just to prove there is absolutely nothing in all this", to saying "Well OK so maybe it does occasionally cause clots, however the benefits outweigh the risks, but actually we won't give AZ to the under 30s". Which is basically the same conclusion that most countries had arrived at, several weeks earlier, except most countries are saying under 50s or under 60s. You have to wonder whether the UK felt obliged to set a lower limit purely to save face - I'm sure it would have loved to be able to say "Nothing in it, AZ is safe for everyone".

I thought that to the French a "crise de foie" is basically the explanation for a proneness to indigestion, because the liver has taken a battering with too much alcohol and fat and toxins to filter out and it's struggling to cope. I'm sure British livers must also have crises because Brits also drink alcohol and eat fatty foods, and Brits certainly also suffer from chronic indigestion, but somehow British indigestion is not linked so closely to liver problems. So either French medicine has got it wrong again, or French and English digestive systems work differently. Or the third possibility is that I've totally misunderstood, which wouldn't be unusual.

Many years ago, a doctor working in Emergency was telling us that a lot of people were arriving having a heart attack/heart problems type thing brought on by Fervex. Google it.

You know Fervex ! It is like a bagette in France.

Runny nose...take a Fervex. It is a French thing that makes lots of money.

She could not understand why it had not been banned.

I have not taken it since that discussion.

So yeah, it is all political with AZ. Bit in Bretagne needs to grow up.

Macron needs serious help.

After I had been chatting to french friends and their worries

about AZ AND my son telling me how his friends and collegues were

talking about it, it felt like there was more than an element of not wanting something perceived that is from the UK.

This

is not just articles, this is ordinary people discussing concerns and refusal to have AZ,  because

of the things they had,  read and seen on tv in France, but mainly on tv.

But

it was not the first time that I have noted that oddities have happened, as I said, took 10 years

to stop aspirin for children........... because the french had not done

their own research!

I could give too many other examples, but won't go on.

[:D]Ah Geordie, who cares if it was a typo or dyslexia ( I have mild dyslexia ), are you the spelling police............. and if you are, I would hope that your french is absolutely 20/20 if you feel you can criticise others.

Took me four goes to try and type criticise and it says it is OK now, but unless I get the dictionnary on the go, I have no idea........... and it is saying I have misspelled that too, but what the heck! I simply do not care.

[quote user="idun"]
After I had been chatting to french friends and their worries

about AZ AND my son telling me how his friends and collegues were

talking about it, it felt like there was more than an element of not wanting something perceived that is from the UK.

This

is not just articles, this is ordinary people discussing concerns and refusal to have AZ,  because

of the things they had,  read and seen on tv in France, but mainly on tv.

But

it was not the first time that I have noted that oddities have happened, as I said, took 10 years

to stop aspirin for children........... because the french had not done

their own research!

I could give too many other examples, but won't go on.

[:D]Ah Geordie, who cares if it was a typo or dyslexia ( I have mild dyslexia ), are you the spelling police............. and if you are, I would hope that your french is absolutely 20/20 if you feel you can criticise others.

Took me four goes to try and type criticise and it says it is OK now, but unless I get the dictionnary on the go, I have no idea........... and it is saying I have misspelled that too, but what the heck! I simply do not care.

[/quote]

This forum seems to have gathered more than its share of perfectionists lately, with some convinced of their infallibility.

Some are also unable to post a reply without being sarcastic and rude, but most of us manage to ignore their lack of education. (EDIT: As in the neat Spanish term "maleducado")

You know who you are [:)]

In French 'mal éduqué'..

I think that Geordie has a point with his comment. We can all make slips in typing but that particular poster has a habit of showing total ignorance of the everyday details of life in France (such as the size of a CdS which is apparently too big to fit in a wallet) and so here  the misspelling of baguette is in character.

[quote user="NormanH"]
In French 'mal éduqué'.. ...........................
[/quote]

Yes, I know, but the more usual rendering of "rude" in French is "impoli", which is rather mild.

I think the Spanish translation "maleducado" is more evocative.

I do think albf is probably dyselexic. His spelling doesn't bother me.

Our son was brought up in Spain, and tends to spell English words phonetically, but no-one has problems understanding what he writes. He also speaks Spanish fluently, as well as fairly good French and Danish.

I really wish someone would explain to me how they can say with confidence that Norway has totally stopped using AZ for valid health concerns, the UK's special friend across the Atlantic did not approve it for genuine health concerns, Germany and numerous other countries have limited its use for valid health concerns, even the UK has slightly limited its use for health concerns, but the reason France has likewise restricted its use is because France has an anti-Brit complex and Macron needs help.

I'm impressed at the knowledge on this forum, I mean you guys must be mind readers ???

[quote user="EuroTrash"]I really wish someone would explain to

me how they can say with confidence that Norway has totally stopped

using AZ for valid health concerns, the UK's special friend across the

Atlantic did not approve it for genuine health concerns, Germany and

numerous other countries have limited its use for valid health concerns,

even the UK has slightly limited its use for health concerns,

[/quote]

As far as I

am aware the main concern to health, through receiving an AZ vaccination

is the possibility of a reaction that could cause a blood clot with low platelets to manifest itself and

therefore the receipt of an AZ jab is now generally being restricted to

55-year-olds and above.

The incidence rate of

this occurrence would seem to be somewhere in the region of 1:250000.

However, the incidence rate of a similar occurrence for a woman who is

using the contraceptive pill is somewhere in the region of 1:1000

annually. Wow, how many saw that coming?

I

expect we will soon be hearing announcements on recommendations to the use of the contraceptive pill, including that Norway will be issuing a total ban for all

age groups and with the others placing restrictions of its use to

55-year-old women and above.  Oh? Hang on a minute.........

What you say is correct Cajal. But surely the answer is that you have various treatment options, some of which are even marginally safer for certain age groups than others, then you use those treatments on those age groups. I presume that the same applies to prescribing the Pill, I don't know if different Pills have different side effects but if they do a doctor will prescribe the most suitable for that particular patient.

But I don't know why you quoted my post because what you said has nothing to do with the question I asked. Nobody else has answered it either. So I still don't understand why the fact that countries all over the world are making decisions in 50 shades of grey on the use of AstraZeneca, fits with the statement "Should I have expected that LBF would have kicked up about anything with a hint of anglo saxon about it? ie AZ!"