Very Stupid Question ..

Well, you haven't said which provider you are using, but for most the system should be pretty much the same.

From your location abroad you should go to your ISPs home page - in my case Orange.fr - on that page there is a note asking you to identify yourself - here you enter your e-mail address and your e-mail password.

You should have this information from your ISP when you took out your contract.

Good luck - Tim

[quote user="londoneye"]Err not sure of any of those !

Will have internet access via work.   If by ISP provider you mean ~Wanadoo ??? then don't know if they have webmail.

Doh !  

[/quote]

Don't worry Londoneye. It's just as Timco said. Go to Wanadoo and there'll be a log in box waiting for you. [:)]

To get onto the forum it'll be the same. You'll need your user name, password and possibly email address.

Agree with the above (Timco and I did a bit of simultaneous posting) - if you're with Wandadoo, then you will have webmail.  You can configure your mailbox to accept your e-mails but it 's much more complicated.  Just don't forget your password - worth having a few goes before you leave for the UK, just to get some practice in and make sure you've remembered the password correctly.

As I said before, and others have reiterated, it's really not too difficult. I have a laptop. I'm using it now via my French ISP (Internet Service Provider) which is Orange and used to be Wanadoo. When I go back to England I can log on to my e-mails from Orange on every network I've tried. It's the same as the way I still get my BTinternet e-mails from the UK here in France - only in reverse. With the information I mentioned before - i.e. e-mail address and password - you should be able to do this from anywhere in the world. In fact, I've even done it via a mobile phone when in Mauritaus - just to see if I could I should add, rather than being a slave to reading e-mails.[:)]

Tim

Oh dear - not working for me !

I search Wanadoo and get the orange UK site.   No problem so far - in right hand corner is a little box which says email address and password.

I enter my full email address and then I enter the password (mot de passe de messagerie).   It tells me invalid.   When I go to help and try to get them to send me a password or something I get asked for my orange mobile number (haven't got one).

Am I filling in the wrong boxes ??

Go to the main French webpage at  www.orange.fr.  You will see a grey bar across the top. 

Look to the left of the bar for bonjour > identifiez-vous.  Click on it and it'll take you to a page where you log in. 

Now click on the button showing your acount name and you'll be presented with a box to enter your password.  This is your 'mot de passe de messagerie'.

Once accepted, you're back on the homepage, only this time, your name appears on the left of the grey bar.  Your are now logged in. 

Click on the messagerie tab and there you are...

Okay, I also have an old Wanadoo account, but have not had problems accessing it through the Orange website. 

You're going to the Orange website and clicking on the Messagerie button at the top of the page?  And it's taking you to a page that has a box on the left where it asks you to enter your identifiant and mot de passe?

And you're entering [email protected] (whatever identifiant Wanadoo assigned you) and the password that Wanadoo gave you for that identifiant?  NOT the password you were given for connecting to the internet.

Hint (if you haven't changed your passwords from those originally assigned by Wanadoo/Orange): the email password probably has six letters/numbers, while the internet connection password probably has seven.

By the way, when I click on the link for forgotten passwords, I get the option of entering either my email address OR my mobile number (I haven't got one either).

Did you try entering your email address there and it didn't work?

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Go to the main French webpage at  www.orange.fr.  You will see a grey bar across the top. 

Look to the left of the bar for bonjour > identifiez-vous.  Click on it and it'll take you to a page where you log in. 

Now click on the button showing your acount name and you'll be presented with a box to enter your password.  This is your 'mot de passe de messagerie'.

Once accepted, you're back on the homepage, only this time, your name appears on the left of the grey bar.  Your are now logged in. 

[/quote]

Oops, didn't catch that Londoneye was going to the UK website.  Too early in the morning for me, I guess.

At the "identifiez-vous" stage, I think you will need to enter your "identifiant de connexion" and "mot de passe de connexion" before the system presents you with the button showing your email address and requesting your "mot de passe de messagerie"?

I can't check this without deleting my cookies, but a friend had similar problems a couple of weeks ago and I think it was due to trying to log onto Orange using her email address and password instead of her connection ones.

If I go to the french orange site it automatically logs me in, and the idea was to practice trying to log in as if i am not here - although i am not feeling very here right now.

If I go to the uk one i have the sae trouble as before.   perhaps i will have to wait til in uk and try from diff computer.

Erm, thinking about this...

If Orange/Wanadoo is your internet service provider, and you are are logged onto their service and using the internet, they're going to know who you are without you needing to log on, if you get my drift.

I think, as you say, you'll need to try this on someone else's computer, someone that doesn't use Orange as their service provider?

Hope your thumb isn't throbbing too much [blink]

yes will try at my neighbours tomorrow.

thumb still bleeding - looks like a war zone in the garden and on computer keyboard; couldn't find the msising bit of thumb and nail - OH doesn't know why I wnt it, but for some reason I do !!

Going to drown my sorrows in alcohol now .....

[quote user="DerekJ"]A nice easy way around  is to use googlemail which allows you access to your email through your web browser. Very easy to use from any machine, anywhere.

[/quote]

I thought about mentioning gmail, but did not want to make things more murky!

I have several email accounts (neuf, la poste, yahoo, own website...) and all are set to forward all mail to my gmail address, which I can access from any computer anywhere...

Clair.  Yes, as you probably guessed, I use gmail (new accounts are now under the googlemail banner though I believe... same thing though).  I have my system configured so I can access through Outlook Express or directly through my web browser into my gmail account.

So for normal home use I continue to access through Outlook Express and when I'm away from home via my web browser.

btw, if you read the links that you and I put on this thread you will see reference to "

You can get a Google Mail account if you are invited by someone who already has one."

I've got loads of spare invites I'd be happy to pass on if wanted.

[quote user="DerekJ"]btw, if you read the links that you and I put on this thread you will see reference to "

You can get a Google Mail account if you are invited by someone who already has one."

I've got loads of spare invites I'd be happy to pass on if wanted.

[/quote]

I don't think an invite is necessary anymore. I set up a gmail account for Mr Clair without any invite a few weeks ago.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

[/quote]

To get your E mails is as easy as SD has explained above, but you have to go into the Orange.fr site which you can even in the UK. Just google Orange.fr.  However, you will not get any Emails in your messagerie inbox if you do not close Outlook Express on your own PC in France.

[quote user="Ron Avery"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]

[/quote]

To get your E mails is as easy as SD has explained above, but you have to go into the Orange.fr site which you can even in the UK. Just google Orange.fr.  However, you will not get any Emails in your messagerie inbox if you do not close Outlook Express on your own PC in France.

[/quote]

One of the 'Options' in Outlook is to 'Leave message on server' - you can set the number of days. A useful function if you likely to want to pick up messages on different machines.

Tim

Hi,

Follow the instructions that 'Sunday Driver' advises.  If you have never checked your webmail even in France you must have thousands if messages in your 'indésirables' folder, as these are not downloaded by default using O.E.  You can change the settings of your mail account by logging on this way.

Regards