Which anti-virus?

Hi, I have BT broadband and when my daughter moved out 9 months ago I decided I did not need to be pay for their option 3 so I down graded to option 1, but with option 2/3 you get free online security (Norton) but with option 1 it can be an add-on for £3+ per month, so me being lazy decided to pay the extra so I didn't have the trouble of installing and paying for another.

Now my mother is having a new lap top (first ever computer[:-))]) and she needs to buy security, we have the chance now to buy: Symantec Norton 360 All-In-One Security Version 2.0. with use on up to 3 computers, now first is that a good buy at £26.90 ? and second would you replace my old BT online security and share her new one?

Thanks for any advice

Sounds a good price, but personally, I'd steer clear of Norton. It tends to give more problems than solutions.

It is impossible to give 100% protection to any computer, but try Avast. You can download their home edition here www.avast.com and it's totally free.

I've been using it for a few years now with little to no problems. I think many others will back me up on this.

R.

Well I'm going against the trend and say that I don't like AVG at all.

Its protection level was OK-ish but the code is so bloated it slowed my PCs down tremendously.

I now go with Commodo which is also free.   It is fast and reliable but does need a bit of computer-savvy to get the best out of it.

We've used AVG (paid for version) for some time, but it caused a few problems, not least of which any update would cause the machines to hang.  (And we'd already been warned off of version 8!)

Their support wasn't very supportive, so we looked around, considered Comodo, but went for Agnitum Outpost Pro 2009 instead, which has had good write-ups - we use it for all our computer security now.  They had a good deal where we could get a lifetime licence for all  three of our machines inexpensively.  It seems to work very well, and is not intrusive, and does not require too much technical knowledge to set up.  I recommend it.

Chris

Have recently purchased Norton 360 and had to take it off my machine after a couple of weeks and completely reinstall windows as it was just using up too much processor power.  The expert I spoke to said it was only suitable for very high spec machines.

Am currently running a 30 day trial on Bitdefender (will cost about £14 if I take it up) - looks good so far.  Computer runs normally again. Its had very good reviews.

Thanks everyone

Not sure what to do now [8-)] I agree about Norton, I had it on my Dell PC before I had BT broadband with free security (which is a Norton product) but it made my Dell PC very slow at start-up and I'm sure was slow all the time now I look back, I have an HP PC now and it can be slow sometimes and sounds like it is churning over a lot, if I find it very slow I go into task manager and look at the performance and usually find the CPU are measuring between 90-100[:-))] yet I might not be doing very much! when it gets like that I do a restart and that mostly brings the CPU's right down to 5-15 so I never really know why it was slow in the first place.

I think for the time being I will stay with the BT security as I don't really have the time or inclination to faff around.

I think my daughter has some free security I think it may be one of the ones already mentioned I will do some fishing and find out what she thinks, I will mention to her what you have all said.

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

for the slow PC, Do you have an HP printer too? have a look at this page and especially response number3

[/quote]

Yes I have an HP Photosmart C7280

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

check in task manager to see what is using the CPU

just a possibility

Danny

[/quote]

I'm quite a novice when it comes to my PC so not sure what I'd be looking for [:$]

I have Vista and do have 4 gadgets on the side bar but I only have a couple of added programs which is Microsoft office 2007 (with 10 programs in it) and Limewire [6] other than that its pretty much as I bought it 18 months ago.

press Ctrl+Shift+Esc- this will open task manager. This displays all the programs and processes runnung on the computer.

Click on the processes tab and click on the CPU tab to list all the processes by CPU usage. Click the CPU tab again if it lists the processes lowest to highest.

You should see something using a lot of CPU (high percentage) if your computer is very busy and slow all the time. Apart from system idle!!! Tell us what you see... i.e. what the name of the item is...

Danny

15 Security Suites are reviewed in the March 2009 issue of PC Pro (UK) magazine.

Their “A List” product is Avira Premium Security Suite at £40 for 3 PCs and is summarised as “A simple, efficient and affordable package that delivers good protection across the board”.

BullGuard Internet Security 8.5 at £45 for 1 PC is granted “Recommended” status.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 at £50 for 3 PCs which was their previous “A List” product is described as a “strong contender”…..

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]Another very popular antivirus system is [url=http://free.avg.com/]AVG Free[/url].  Again it's free of charge.[/quote]

[quote user="Cooperlola"]I have been using the various versions of AVG Free now for around 7 problem-free years. [/quote]

Just a little update: After a hiccup with BT/Norton last week which left me without security for a whole day!! I decided to change.

My daughter downloaded AVG for me (after deleting Norton) and I am so pleased [:)] my system is running faster, quieter, CPU's are now 0-5% on idle compared with 80-95% before (sometimes it would just start whizzing for no apparent reason) and I don't know is there. Brill

Thank you everyone for your advice

Edit: I also have saved £3+ per month [:D]

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

My daughter downloaded AVG for me (after deleting Norton) and I am so pleased [:)]

[/quote]

I have great admiration for you daughter as it's well known that getting rid of Norton completely is up there with King Canute stopping the tide coming in.......[:D]

[quote user="Ecossais"]

15 Security Suites are reviewed in the March 2009 issue of PC Pro (UK) magazine.

Their “A List” product is Avira Premium Security Suite at £40 for 3 PCs and is summarised as “A simple, efficient and affordable package that delivers good protection across the board”.

BullGuard Internet Security 8.5 at £45 for 1 PC is granted “Recommended” status.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 at £50 for 3 PCs which was their previous “A List” product is described as a “strong contender”…..

[/quote]

and Norton is a mediocre 'also ran' [:P]

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="Jacqui Too "]

My daughter downloaded AVG for me (after deleting Norton) and I am so pleased [:)]

[/quote]

I have great admiration for you daughter as it's well known that getting rid of Norton completely is up there with King Canute stopping the tide coming in.......[:D]
[/quote]

It wasn't easy! after trying to do it by our own means (program/uninstall) and failed we went to the Symantec site and downloaded the 'Norton removal tool' it was gone for good , I hope[:-))]

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Ecossais"]

[/quote]

and Norton is a mediocre 'also ran' [:P]

[/quote]

It is interesting what a difference five months makes to a "recommended" Security suite. [8-)]

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/security/reviews/227709/norton-internet-security-2009.html