Amazon UK certainly sell them and will ship here for a suprisingly small amount of money.  Any item which is sold by Amazon themselves (as opposed to Marketplace sellers) will ship here and most are cheaper even with P&P.

As an aside, Trainman, I have to ask about your forum name as my o/h is into US railroads - does it mean that you might be too?

[quote user="Anton Redman II"]Unless you enjoy watching 'Dial Me For Murder' and 'House of Wax' 1950s versions what is the point ?[/quote]

Believe it or not, this is from today's Midi Libre (I've copied it here because ML links have a habit of not working after a couple of days):

Regards

Pickles

Alors que les

récepteurs compatibles viennent tout juste d'arriver dans les magasins,

les chaines de télévision françaises rivalisent d'annonces sur leurs

prochaines diffusions 3D. Même si les téléspectateurs capables d'en

profiter ne sont que quelques centaines, la plupart des télévisions ont

au moins un projet en cours, et tiennent à le faire savoir.

Ces

initiatives sont pour l'heure rendues possibles par la création, sur le

bouquet Orange TV, d'une chaine dédiée à la retransmission 3D (sur le

canal 33). Celle-ci est gratuite pour les abonnés du bouquet, et

nécessite bien entendue une télévisiojn compatible. Pour l'heure, Orange

TV est le seul groupe télévisé français à bénéficier d'une offre 3D.

Nul doute que d'autres initiatives ne devraient pas tarder à voir le jour.

Dès ce soir mercredi 26 mai, M6

inaugure la diffusion d'une émission de divertissement en 3D. C'est la Nouvelle

Star
qui a été choisie pour cet "honneur". L'émission de ce soir

sera réalisée et diffusée en direct 3D. Pour les (rares) possesseurs de

télévisions 3D, le programme sera retransmis sur le nouvelle chaine

dédiée du bouquet Orange TV (canal 33). Les autres pourront assister à

une projection au cinéma MK2 Bibliothèque, à Paris.

Les amateurs

de tennis peuvent d'ores et déjà bénéficier de la diffusion en 3D du

tournoi Roland-Garros. Près de 50 matchs sont proposés dans ce format

jusqu'au 6 juin. Les téléviseurs plasma 3D Panasonic serviront également

de support de démonstration dans plus de 300 points de vente.

Enfin,

TF1 met la touche finale à une « première mondiale » : la diffusion en

3D de 5 matchs de la prochaine Coupe du Monde de foot. Le match

d'ouverture (le 11 juin à 16 h), une demi-finale, et la finale du 11

juillet sont au programme. La première vient du fait que la diffusion se

fera en partenariat avec tous les opérateurs existants (fibre,

satellite, ADSL), faisant ainsi tomber les barrières des contraintes

techniques et exclusivités commerciales jusqu'alors en vigueur.

Enfin,

signalons que, selon la lettre professionnelle Écran Total, le groupe

France Télévisions devrait profiter du festival du documentaire Sunny

Side of the Doc pour annoncer la mise en production de documentaires

réalisés en 3D.

Christophe GREUET

Orange Channel 33 currently with 5 cameras at Rolland Garros.

Regarding World Cup Fifa have engaged the English Company TELEGENIC who will be televising 9 matches.

But trumped by the Vendéen Company AMP whose Camion 3D will fly out on saturday, the company will be televising 16 matches.

http://www.vendee.fr/actualites/3249/amp-filmera-les-matchs-de-la-coupe-du-monde-en-3d.htm

Available hard ware noted at following site: http://www.tv-3d.fr/

The smaller 102 cm samsung available at RueDuCommerce for €uro 1250.

Atlantic Media Production press release: http://www.amp.tv/on-air/507-la-coupe-du-monde-en-relief.html

http://www.ampvisualtv.tv/3d-relief/

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Be aware that European voltage is 240V and not the 110V variety you get in the States.[/quote]

No, European voltage is 230 volt.

The UK and the continent decided about 10 years ago to couple their networks. To make that process easier all counties decided on 230 volt instead of the continental 220 volt and the UK's 240 volt. So all continental countries have upped their voltage from 220 to 230.

We've already been waiting 10 years for just one country to live up to its promise and lower its voltage from 240 to 230 volt....

[quote user="Jako"]We've already been waiting 10 years for just one country to live up to its promise and lower its voltage from 240 to 230 volt....[/quote]and I bet you won't get a 4.5% price discount when they do [:'(] [:D]

I don't think they (Britain) will Jako.

Years ago we received a note with our electricity bill explaining the changes,    which stated that the British voltage would henceforth nominally be at 230 V but with x% permissible variations each way  (as was the case before).   The note then explained that 240 V lay well within the permissible band and would continue to be the usual voltage supplied.

I didn't think the French had moved from 220 V either,   using the same rationale as the British.   Although I haven't checked ours recently...

Anyone remember the lower voltage in force during the miner's strikes of the 1970's,  a deliberate reduction of 6% if I remember correctly  (which I think was and still is the maximum variation each way,  although I stand ready for correction on that one).

[quote user="Jako"][quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Be aware that European voltage is 240V and not the 110V variety you get in the States.[/quote]

No, European voltage is 230 volt.

The UK and the continent decided about 10 years ago to couple their networks. To make that process easier all counties decided on 230 volt instead of the continental 220 volt and the UK's 240 volt. So all continental countries have upped their voltage from 220 to 230.

We've already been waiting 10 years for just one country to live up to its promise and lower its voltage from 240 to 230 volt....

[/quote] What's 10 volts between friends?

Seems to me there are a couple of drawbacks with 3D TV, number of 3D programs available (guess that may improve with time), they seem to cost more (some a lot more) and you have wear glass's and there does not appear to optically corrected glass's for those with poor eyesight (try wearing 2 sets of glass's). I think the glass's are the biggest problem, OK when your in a cinema but in your own home when you might want to pause a film to get a drink, have a pee etc. Think I would give it a few years before I get a 3D tv.

There are, perhaps, a dozen methods which the brain and eyes use to perceive depth, disparity - the trick used in 3D movies - is only one.

An immediate problem with 3D is that it can only be used with observers who have two eyes. In addition to people with only one eye there are many others with poorly corrected childhood squints or with lazy eye for whom the appropriate neural connections have not been made. Part of the learning that children do in infancy is to co-ordinate the images from each retina onto corresponding points in the visual cortex. This process fails if, for instance, squints are not corrected surgically sufficiently early. Such people are never able to "see" 3D images in books or films. However, they are able to perceive depth perfectly adequately because they can use the other cues available.

Most people, when watching films in the cinema or on tv can become sufficiently engrossed to perceive the film image as solid and possessing depth without needing specific disparity cues.

I think that 3D - in the cinema or on tv - will be an interesting phenomenon but may not be regarded as being sufficiently important for people to invest in expensive new equipment. (I stand by, ready to be proved wrong.)

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]The equipment won't be expensive in a couple of years time. Look how cheap HD TV's are now. A mere pittance. I won't buy a 3d tv because 3d stuff I've experienced before gives me a headache.[/quote]

Yes of course the price will come down but it's not really the price so much as the other things I mentioned, 3D programs and wearing glass's. I can imagine in my house how long it would be before the glass's are in the dog, sat on, become scratched, lost etc not to mention can you really be @rsed to put them on every time you want to watch TV? At the moment for us Brits there's only Sky3D which starts at 10am and ends at 10pm and although there is some sport most of it is preview demo stuff and of course you have to add it to your existing Sky+ although I don't know if or how much extra you have to pay. I think this will drop by the wayside as there won't be that much of a pickup on it as there has been on HDTV. The next big step in TV will be Holographic TV, not as far away as you may imaging, both Sony and Samsung have built prototypes and some other companies have tried with some success (Cheoptics360, Claro Holographic TV and UberCoolHome Uber-Graph). So I think I will keep my wallet in my pocket for the next couple of years with regards to buying another TV.

[quote user="AnOther"]Frankly I'd be glad if France could just manage to keep the damn power on whatever the bl00dy voltage !

In 3 years we've had 10 times as many cuts as we ever did in 50 in UK.

[/quote]

I'll drink to that. [B] [B]. Six hours in one hit last month and Mrs Q had some urgent work to do with a UK deadline, she was not best pleased. Good test of my UPS on the Orange box, kept it going for just over 4 hours.

If you dont wear the glasses it is in 2D.

I am considering getting a 3D TV the price is not excessive and compares well with current prices for LED back lighting.

The 2D-3D encoding is reported to work well, so even 2D stuff can be viewed in pseudo 3D; the 3D image is behind the screen a bit like watching your tropical fish; true 3D stands out from the screen surface. I presume you have seen the 3D version of Avatar or have visited Futuroscope at Poitiers. The Samsung and LG models also give direct internet for YouTube etc but can also be connected to a PC or a Media enabled hard disc.At moment I have BluRay and 1080p so the contemplated move to 3D is a natural progression.

Yes but you can't realistically watch a 3D program without the glass's. There have been a high number of reports apparently of people getting headaches (According to Which magazine) and that's with the glass's, I dread to think what the long term effect of watching 3D without glass's would be.

I kept my Avatar film glasses just in case, but not the same as used with 3D TV apparently. One gets two pairs thrown in with a TV additional pairs are €uro 145 and I thought ATOL were expensive.[:D]

GITEM have a promo at moment, so next time in town will check it all out; the FNAC in Poitiers is too far.

The buzz says Leclerc will have an offer in conjunction with world cup.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally managed to arrange a 3D demo at the local Gitem Outlet in Parthenay on wednesday. I have seen and enjoyed the Avatar film and have previously done all the 3D stuff at Futuroscope. So assumed that the TV would be second rate, I must admit complete surprise at the quality of the image. The Demo was run with a Panasonic TX-P50VT20E coupled to a Blu Ray Panasonic DMP-BDT300EG.

I have the opposite experience, in my village in Sussex the power cuts continue to be so frequent even after 24 years that I now dont reset any of the digital clocks, if I were to the displays would be blinking again within the week. Admittedly most are momentary but on average, and of course it varies wildly I would say two proper power cuts of a few hours duration a year.

Here in France in 5 years none at all, perhaps its because I have a factory opposite that used to be state owned, sometimes during lightning the lights dim but to date in 5 years I have never had to reset my digital alarm clock

• 2 months later...