hi ok

For the past 3 weeks our internet goes off at 8-10 pm ish every night and stays off untill 8 am next morning .we are with Free any one else having the same problem ??

Dave

Had that happen for months with Alice and was unable to resolve it until I changed ISP. I believe Alice and Free are one of the same now and if that is the case I wish you luck because I felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall!

The fault in my case was a junction box without a cover just a couple of hundred yards down the road.

We have had similar problems in the past.   The first year we had ADSL with Club Internet it was common to have problems in the evening,   sometimes with a couple of hours a night off like you.

We moved to Alice after a year and although it was better it was still far from good,   with the speed often dropping to 100 kbps.

However,   when we came out in Spring 2010 it was hugely improved,   the max speed was still 480 kbps but it ran at that most of the time.   And the SIGNIFICANT part is that everyone else round us (all with different operators) had similar improvements.    It went back to the bad old ways in July 2010 but was reported and a duff unit at the exchange was replaced.

My guess is that in the early days there weren't enough bits of equipment for the number of subscribers,  there must have been enough individual units (one for each ADSL line) but whatever assembled the signals to go back to the ISPs was insufficient.    This was rectified in 2010,   but broke down again in the summer.

Well there's a highly non-technical description,   all you can do is bleat to the ISP until it's fixed.   Although I'd check to see how people around you are faring,  there is stuff in the home that can affect performance (via interference)

Does your box remain synchronised (but with no authentication lock) or does the sync go down as well?

hi ok

No still have the old box so are on v4 although v6 has down loaded to the modem it`s not using it ..

I get this

Step 3: Negotiation with the DSLAM

-> When a DSLAM is detected, the Freebox is trying to sync it (chase fast)

Cause: Signal unstable ADSL
Solutions:
- Check / change the binding Freebox <-> Wall socket (son + filter)
- Check the wiring from the wall outlet
- Check / remove any extension telephone
- Check the box to finish FT (remove the filter / condo so far: see here )
- Use another Freebox ADSL modem or another to see if the ADSL line is activated / functional. Then see with the hotline or newsgroups Free Freebox if defective.

Dave

[quote user="andrew44"]Hard reboot ? Unplug/replug 4 times ,

http://www.free.fr/assistance/2342--3-videos-reboot-freebox-v4.html

Andrew 44
[/quote]

hi ok

tried it endless times no joy ..... the only other thing I can say is we still have our FT line when the internet goes off the FT phone line is very noisy and crackly .

Dave

The crackling is probably the cause. A brief Internet search tells tales of humidity in junction boxes etc.

I take it that the 'friture' - crackle, is on your 'ligne principale', and that you've checked or replaced your internal cables, plugs, sockets and filters. Can you check the box on a neighbour's line, who doesn't have friture ? Or maybe they have the same problem ?

I can't remember the number to ask FT to check the line, but I'm sure someone will tell you. Tell them you have 'de la friture sur la ligne' (yes, it is the same word as for a fry-up).

When we had a crackle on the line, and had it checked, FT immediately acknowledged a 'faute sur la ligne' and fixed it quite quickly.

It worked wonders for us; I hope you're as lucky !

Andrew 44

hi ok

Well it`s 19.45 and the internet is still on  ....... it looks like it was a faulty adsl filter the phone was plugged into ....but not holding my breath....

Dave

hi ok

Saga goes on ..F T  tested the line they say it`s ok  > I say yes it is ok untill after 8 pm  can you test it then ?? no we  only do it 9-5 pm >>>>>  Free want a fault print out from the TV   ..I say we only have 512k so the TV will not work .... they say AH but it will for the fault page ....so plugged a spare TV into the scart lead now   does anyone know how to bring the fault page up ??

Dave

Could be worse, as in this email I just got from my son

Tweet from one of my favourite indie game developers. Very funny but scarily true....

"We lost internet for several seconds in the office. Naturally, we elected a leader, set up camp in the meeting room, and sacrificed Tobias."

Hello Dave,

I don't remember the TV setup for Freebox v4, as I never used it, but assuming the Free screen is the same as or similar to FB v5 HD, then :

Go to the Paramètres screen, where you will see boxes for Informations Générales - this a basic diagnostic of what's working or not TV, phone, TNT...

Also Informations Réseau which gives Etat, ADSL, Réseau and Wifi. The ADSL screen gives the current débit up and down, atténuation etc.

I hope you can find the necessary diagnostique from this.

Andrew 44

• 2 weeks later...

hi ok

Just to up date the saga ..... got that PEEED off went and signed up with Orange ... after 5 years with Free down load speed is now nearly 4 times faster

Today 13:271868 kbps (234kB/s)264 kbps (33kB/s)
Monday 20:49468 kbps (58.5kB/s)139 kbps (17.4kB/s)
Monday 20:48326 kbps (40.8kB/s)139 kbps (17.4kB/s)

we will see if it goes off tonight

Dave