Astra 2F Discussion Here Please!

[quote user="g8vkv"]11023H signal disappeared at 13:30 yesterday.

Reappeared this morning at 08:00 - just as the sun was pushing clear of the horizon, roughly "inline" with the sats.

So - evidence suggested that the beam is being distorted (favourably for anyone in the SE) by the solar wind and this effect goes away later in the day?

All other tps still seem to be on 1N as far as I can tell.[/quote]

It's a lovely theory (and you know what you're talking about judging by your forum name).

But I think it's more likely to be something less esoteric,  and maybe when all the switching has been done a fine tweak of your dish and skew might stabilise things.    Certainly you're a very good indicator of how things are going to be on the edges of the area....

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Martin963"][quote user="g8vkv"]11023H signal disappeared at 13:30 yesterday. Reappeared this morning at 08:00 - just as the sun was pushing clear of the horizon, roughly "inline" with the sats. So - evidence suggested that the beam is being distorted (favourably for anyone in the SE) by the solar wind and this effect goes away later in the day? All other tps still seem to be on 1N as far as I can tell.[/quote]

It's a lovely theory (and you know what you're talking about judging by your forum name).

But I think it's more likely to be something less esoteric,  and maybe when all the switching has been done a fine tweak of your dish and skew might stabilise things.    Certainly you're a very good indicator of how things are going to be on the edges of the area....
[/quote]

Skew it may well be. Yesterday many of the comments I spotted where things were working said they improved stability by adjusting the skew and 'tweaking' the dish slightly. Seems the alignment of the dish and its setting (skew for example) have to be spot on where as on the current system you can afford to have them out a little and it still works.

Skew is desperately important - the more the satellite is away from due south (as viewed from the location of the dish) the more it matters.

A bit of history here - when 2D suddenly became so "important" (ie when the BBC moved from 2A to 2D in 2003) skew really became a problem.    SES would never admit to this (why they have to be so d*mned secretive the whole time is beyond me) but the signals from 2D were further skewed than the calculations from pure geometry would predict.   This meant that to optimise reception of 2D one had to twist the LNB (clockwise as viewed from the front of the dish) further than seemed "proper".    As far as I can see 1N reverted somewhat to normality,   and one would assume that 2F would be similar. By normality I mean the correct amount of clockwise skew.   But for those who optimised things for 2D it may now be necessary to re-tweak the skew if reception is a bit marginal.

Does that tie in with what you've observed Jako...?

I've been in touch with a chap about 60km east of us who says his 11023H holds up all day with a 1m dish, so that gives me hope that things aren't necessarily terminal.

It's true that our dish setup is less than perfect. It wasn't especially aligned for maximum signal (just until it was "OK") and also the LNB is held in place with sticky tape (the clip is broken)

So it looks like getting the ladders out again.

As far as I know it's still just 11023 MHz.    I think there may have been tests on a few other frequencies but not ones that would be visible on a normal box.   And that is just hearsay to be honest.

I think if the major swap had taken place last night (as predicted by some) we'd hear a lot more squawking from the Iberian peninsular this morning.....

As far as we know nothing has changed overnight. Indeed because the forums are still operational [:)]

All Astra satellites have a different skew than all the other satellites, don't know why. The skew has not changed, but a weaker signal may simply need finetuning of both dish and lnb for many installations.

Anyone know what's going on?

All signals much stronger since about 03:00 - typically SQ 100/100 or 100/90.

It's almost as if both 1N and 2F are running together - but I didn't think you could do that because of phasing, clock synchronisation and all that?

Very odd and I'm sure it won't last.

Danny ..

You're very likely correct - maybe I got over excited for a while.

However, I've never noticed 1N signals this strong before and the 11023H signal is now sitting at an SQ of 100/60 (previously a stubborn 75/60 until it disappeared)

A bit interesting.

You are not alone. A guy in north-east Italy went from 0 yesterday  to 80% this morning. Maybe the switched back to 1N[:)]

edit: checked German reception and they only see gradual improvement. So the signal is not back on 1N,  it might just be due to the slight swinging of the satellite that has a major impact in the south-east.The swing-period seems to be around 3-4 hours.

Jako -

It's all quite interesting.

I was up at 03:00 this morning (I have "man-flu" and needed a cup of tea) and noticed that the (presumably) 1N signals were all (unusually) very strong - lighting up the SQ bars on my Hummy. This is still the case, 8 hours later, all still showing 100/100.

The 11023H signal has also improved in strength, but not quality (100/60)

I just wish they'd get on with it!

[quote user="Jako"]'informed' rumours claim astra2b transponders will move to 2f tonight. These are all Sky subscription channels, so they should go to the pan-European beam, but who knowns...
[/quote]

Well did 2b move overnight ? Or was it a case of 2b or not 2b .

2b or not 2b has no definite answer yet. Changing satellites goes unnoticed on the ground when both satellites use the same footprint. There are some reports of reception changes, but the weather may cause that.

The big difference would be the move of FTA channels to the UK spotbeam. It appears the new beam is even tighter than thought because reception in the fringe area's is not stable.  Apparently 'good reception' can easily turn into 'no reception' a few days later.

Goal posts have changed , so not tonight my dear.

Astra 2F Update 28/11/2012 : No more updates yet on the "big migration" of UK TV channels from Astra 1N to Astra 2F. The first rumoured date of between 23-26 Nov did not bring anything. The next rumoured date is first week in December. Until then only the one single frequency, carrying two BBC HD channels, is the only UK TV frequency that is live on Astra 2F.

This from "SES-Astra" facebook page "Services are currently being

transferred onto Astra 2F, BBC (Transponder 2.061) has been migrated to

2F whereas Channel 5 (Tp 2.057), ITV (Tp's 2.059 and 2.063), and Channel

4 (Tp 2.068) will move to Astra 2F next Tuesday. This will then mark

the completion of the transfer"

Probably those of us with freesat and/or freesat+ boxes will see the

BBC change overnight tonight, during normal housekeeping. I am not sure

whether by Tuesday they mean Monday night to Tuesday, or Tuesday night

to Wednesday.

Nothing is certain,  so I offer this information with a certain amount of salt.....

If a recent statement from SES is to be believed and taken literally then a lot of the BBC services (and most ITV and ch 4,  apart from HD) won't be moving for several more months.

There has been a persistent rumour around that suggests that 2F only covers frequencies above 10.95 GHz,  and that it will be 2E that eventually covers the old "D band";   now most BBC stuff is indeed below 10.95 GHz,   so if you interpret the SES statement carefully it suggests that ONLY the frequencies mentioned in it will  be moved at the present time.   It fails to mention any transponder below 10.95 GHz.

This would mean that there was no hurry to move 1N to its proper home at 19.2 deg E and that SES are happy to leave it where it is until 2E arrives in the spring.  

If all that is correct we are only witnessing a partial migration away from 1N and Quillan (for example) will retain the BBC for a few more months come what may.   The real agony might start in the spring.

As I say,  this is what an informed reading of the SES statement suggests,   but I offer it on the basis that it may be completely wrong...

http://www.a516digital.com/2012/11/ses-ends-week-of-speculation-uk.html?spref=tw

As of this morning I only have ITV channels all BBC are no signal............what do I do, re-align dish or buy new dish ? Any help would be grateful as Mrs W a confirmed "The Killing" fan .........and it's on tonight on BBC 4.

Cheers W

Oh really?    Well that blows my last post out of the water!!

I'd wait a couple of hours and we'll see if there are any other reports.   If not maybe your dish has moved...?

Laters - probably local to you Wilko,   others confirm that no BBC switching took place overnight.