Astra 2F Discussion Here Please!

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have had the expensive expert around and it was a problem with the bit at the end of the arm thingy on the dish, now working perfectly again.

Poppy no C5 for real but am getting reception a couple of days ago which was an interview with the Rolling Stones..........fairly recent by the looks of the genius that is Keef, it's now showing the Brazillian GP.....have no idea what channel it purports to be !!

W

Wilko so pleased you got sorted before 'The Killing' or there might have been another killing.

Just checked and according to tele guide our newly acquired channel is definitely Channel 5. Will look out for channel showing the Grand Prix.

So will it be just the transponders above 10.95 GHz or all of the 1N flock?

Opinion is divided,   but interestingly there is no mention whatsoever apparently of any changes on the BBC blogs,  which suggests that the BBC are not envisaging any migration at the moment.

So my money is on my previous post on the subject being correct,  ie that 1N will stay on at 28 deg E for the moment,  at least until 2E arrives,   and that the "big" BBC switch won't happen tonight,  it'll  just be a few ITV regions,  the channel 5 stable,   and Channel 4 HD....

It's only a forum after all,   I'll be happy to eat my hat for breakfast tomorrow!

[quote user="Martin963"]So will it be just the transponders above 10.95 GHz or all of the 1N flock?.....

...So my money is on my previous post on the subject being correct,  ie that 1N will stay on at 28 deg E for the moment,  at least until 2E arrives,   and that the "big" BBC switch won't happen tonight,  it'll  just be a few ITV regions,  the channel 5 stable,   and Channel 4 HD....

It's only a forum after all,   I'll be happy to eat my hat for breakfast tomorrow!

[/quote]

No need Martin, You can stick to your croissant [:)]

I can report here in the Lot that the four frequencies have gone down significantly to the same approximate level as the first BBC frequency change last week (about 11.7 dB or 57%  on the Aston Simba compared to 14.5dB or 73% yesterday)

All the other 1N frequencies have remained at the same (higher) level so obviously have not been transferred.

This is still a reasonable signal though. No problems watching in most weather, I think.

Danny

[quote user="Quillan"]This morning we have none of the Channel 5 programs, ITV, C4 and ITV are still there. I have checked any of the other channels like Film Four or CBS yet. I should point out that it is raining a lot at the moment.[/quote]

just so it is clear, the channels which appear to have moved are:

Transponder 57, 10964H, 22000, 5/6, Channel 5 (regions 1-5) 5 USA, 5 USA+1, 5*, 5*+1 and Channel 5 +1

Transponder 59, 10994H, 22000, 5/6, Certain ITV1 regions and ITV Granada HD

Transponder 63, 11053H, 22000, 5/6, Certain ITV1 regions and ITV1 London HD

Transponder 68, 11126V, 22000, 5/6, Channel Four HD and 4Seven

All the others on 1N like BBC regions, ITV regions, C4, Film Four, E4, etc have remained. http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-astra1n.php

But they will probably follow in the Spring.

You may need to get the bigger dish out Quillan [;-)]

Danny

phew!    Actually home made bread from a Lidl mix....

Seriously,  there's a guy on one of the other major discussion forums looking VERY foolish this morning ("Tenerife-TV").

Quillan's report is very useful,  it does sound as though some people in the extreme south will need bigger dishes.    I shall email my immediate circle in 24/19/87 and see what they're getting for channel 5 at the moment...

Jako may well be right that 2F *can* cover 10.7 - 10.95 GHz,   but for whatever reason it looks at the moment as though it *won't*,  as I suggested.

Maybe the BBC has an 'issue', we don't know. At least everybody can start testing now, but be careful with concluding 'reception ok'. The new beam is very tight and reception outside the official footprint is not stable. Check reception over a 24 hour period and less favourable weather conditions before concluding the dish size is sufficient.

There's a suggestion that there may be more channels to be added to 2F on 16th December.   I don't know on what that is based though....

I haven't heard mention of any chatter on the BBC blogs though about forthcoming changes,   and they do normally make some comment in advance,   even though it doesn't affect any of their "official" viewers...

We shall see,  we shall see.

Well it is only the C5 stable having had a play. All the others seem to be OK including Sky News. Other Sky channels I am not so sure as I get the same message as before about adding them to my subscription.

Two of my three UK friends here have come back, one has also lost C5 but the other claims to still have it. In the rain I climbed up and measured my dish, it is 60cm. The one that works has a bigger dish i.e. 80 or 90cm. The one that does not work I have no idea what size dish they have, I could ask. I should also say that the 'skew' does not look that good on my dish, it is at about seven O'clock, I think somebody said it should be more but not by how much.

While typing this I contacted somebody else I know locally who has a Humax box (thats two people I know with Humax box's). It retuned last night and they have C5 and now Sky News and they have a 80cm dish.

I don't want to rush out and get another dish straight away because I am still not sure if that is a good idea. Does anyone know if the 'beam' is fully set or is there a chance they may reduce its size once all the channels have moved across?

That all ties up Quillan.   The other channels that have moved are HD ones (ch 4 and some of the testing BBC HDs) and a few ITV regions,  but if you don't happen to use the ones in question you won't notice.    Channel 5 is the give-away.

7 o'clock skew sounds reasonable,   but you'll only know for certain if you get up there and adjust it slowly while someone watches the on screen meters on a TV...

I'd make a final decision when we know more.    The other thing to add is that although there is mention of 16th December I would think that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the BBC or ITV would move on that date.   Reason?    Because they have a sort of technical "truce" for most of December and up to early January,   (I think it's called a lock-down),   and that's to prevent unnecessary fiddling plunging several million viewers into a black screen situation over Christmas.

Again,  just informed guess work.

The strong signal coming from 1N will have spoiled many installers to deliver half work. Pointing a dish at a powerful satellite can be done quick and easy, but leaves much room for improvement. My guess is that most dishes currently used in France need proper re-aligning first.

I'm in Haute Savoie where is is bleaching down with snow at the moment.  Channel 5 + 5HD clear as a bell.  Signal strength 50% with quality 90% (both same as before the switch).  Not sure of the dish size as its not my chalet, but think it is 60cm.  Doesn't look like we'll have any issues here.

[quote user="Daft Doctor"]I'm in Haute Savoie where is is bleaching down with snow at the moment.  Channel 5 + 5HD clear as a bell.  Signal strength 50% with quality 90% (both same as before the switch).  Not sure of the dish size as its not my chalet, but think it is 60cm.  Doesn't look like we'll have any issues here.[/quote]

Ch 5 HD is not on Astra 1N satellite and is not affected. It is on a Sky transponder on 2B sat and is not free to air.

Danny

[quote user="Danny"]

Ch 5 HD is not on Astra 1N satellite and is not affected. It is on a Sky transponder on 2B sat and is not free to air.

Danny

[/quote]

Indeed.   I should have made that clearer when I said that channel 5 was the give-away.   I should have said channel 5 standard def.

Good point Danny.

Down here in 84 all working well on a 80cms dish. C5 I didn't have before and still don't ....but do have C5 US. Had a coffee in the local bar this morning and Sky news was on which was a bit strange as they'd never had it before..........unfortunately the patron couldn't remember what was there before.

Happy viewing

W