Concerns re putting pet cat to final sleep

chessie

Sorry about this (to those who read this post) - but I am totally distraught.

Our much loved elderly cat has had to be put to sleep due to kidney failure. (Yesterday - Thursday afternoon).

We are distraught for two reasons. The obvious one being that we have lost our lovely and much loved cat.

Secondly - we are upset and uneasy at the way this was carried out at the vets.

We took the cat to the vets - and stayed with him. We were told he

would have two injections - one to put him to sleep, and the second

would be the fatal injection. Pusscat was on the vets table and I was

holding him and comforting him with my hands around his chest and

shoulders and stroking his face. A torniquet was put round the top of

his front leg to expose a vein. He was then given the first injection

in his stomach wall. We thought this would put him to sleep (ie like an

anaesthetic) - it did not appear to do so.  The vet left the room

for a minute or two - but our cat was still conscious when she returned.

He was fully aware of the second injection; he meeowed when the second

injection was given, and attempted to move his front leg away from the

needle.  His eyes were open.

He DID appear to suffer - he was aware of what was happening.

He appeared to suffocate -he seemed to 'snuffle' a couple of

times;  his heart continued to beat - and I feel we watched while

our cat suffocated - and that he was conscious of what was happening

and has suffered.

I am heartbroken that what should have been a peaceful 'go to sleep'

and then have the fatal injection does not seem to have happened.

We have brought his litle body home, and laid him in his cat

basket.  We now have the distressing sight of blood draining from

his nostrils. 

I feel what had happened was not right - I feel physically sick at the thought we caused our cat to suffer.

I am so uneasy.

What is the normal procedure by French vets in such

circumstances.  Do they always use 2 injections - or were we - and

our cat - just unlucky?

Why does he have this nosebleed. 

In the UK we have had two cats that were 'put to sleep'; both deaths

were at home, and were extremely peaceful. I do not feel that this time

we had an 'easy, peaceful' death. Yes, I know I'm a bit distraught and

upset at the moment, but I do not feel I am over-reacting to the

circumstances around the death of our lovely cat.

I want other pet owners just to be aware that here in France it would

seem that they have different procedures than in the UK. If any of you

are faced with the same situation DO PLEASE be aware that your pet may

not be completely asleep after the first injection - and then make sure

the vet gives additional anaesthetic so your pet is unconsicous before

the fatel injection.

(Tearful) Chessie

Chessie - I am so sorry for your loss.  The tears started rolling

as I read your post.  As I don't want to add to your current

stress level, I will not say anything about the Vet procedure except

that it sounds terrible to me.  I too am very glad you posted so

that we can all be very aware if we should be in a similar

position. 

Your lovely pet is now at peace.  Try to keep your thoughts on that part.

I am so sorry too Chessie, I know how you feel and it is very, very hard.  I cannot understand what happened at the vet's, and please do not think it is always this way here.

Cats have anaesthetic for all types of things and if it is an operation, they are obviously not aware of anything.  So when they are put to sleep it should be exactly the same, as you thought it would be.

It's very distressing and sad, but whatever happend, it is not your fault and as Lori said, your cat is now at peace.

Chessie, I am so sorry, can only imagine what you are going through. But as been mentioned, you have done the kindest and most selfless thing you could do for your cat. Just because he seemed aware at the time of the second injection does not mean that he was. In many cases the pet owner is not even present. So I am sure you being there with him must have been a real comfort and now he is in peace after a long life with a very caring owner.

I am sure you have many happy memories of him, best to think of those and not just the last few seconds.  My heart goes out to you but you could not have done anything better. All the best.

Wendy

Chessie

When I read your post the flood gates opened.  I love both of my cats so much, I too can imagine how you must feel.  As the previous posters have said, you have done the kindest thing.  Grief is a hard emotion to understand and you feeling so sad just goes to show much you loved your cat.

I don't know about putting animals to sleep and how the French vets deal with that side of things, but in my experience of vets here have been very positive.  My vet speaks in a baby voice when dealing with my cats and always takes great care and attention with them. 

I do hope you can think of all the happy times with your cat and I'm so sorry.

Dotty

So sorry about your cat Chessie. Our elderly cat had to be put to sleep recently, severe kidney problems like yours. Not all French vets are the same. Ours was very kind and gentle, she talked for us for ages beforehand to give us all the information, we had to make the final decision and when we did this she was very gentle with our cat, she was not in any distress and just quietly went to sleep. 

Our cat was over 18 years old, we were so lucky to have had her for such a long time, but we miss her so much.

Bernice

I read your post earlier today & have not been able to get you out of my mind all afternoon. I am so sorry about your cat & just wanted to say that I know how terrible you must be feeling. You did the right thing to take him to the vet & were very brave to stay with him - till the end.  I couldn’t.

I have lost two cats, Meg to liver cancer & when he was only 4, my wee Harvey, after his fifth heart attack.   Had you not taken your cat to the vet - & he had died at home - you might always wonder if you had made the right choice - or if a vet could have helped. Which ever way we lose a beloved pet is distressing & I’m so sorry you are so upset by the final act.

You sound like really loving, caring "parents" & I’m sure your cat knew just how lucky he was.

Take care,

Alison.

I am very sad to hear about this as the same happened to myself many years ago but in England.

It just seemed to me, at the time, that the vets are maybe used to this and are not emotionally involved with the actual animal so dont notice the same things that an owner would.

I know it made me feel uneasy about having this done again.

Chessie

I am really sorry to hear your story too.

In February, our south London black and white moggie was dianosed with cancer in her liver. The vet gave her chemotherapy (via tablets) and though the lump initially shrank a bit she stopped eating and drinking. After a couple of days we brought her home and lived on the kitchen table for a long weekend, but she continued to be unable to eat and drink. Effectivly she was starving to death.

So on the Monday we took her to the vets and a wonderful scottish vet gave her the two injections, for the second she was in my arms and she the second the second injection was made she instantly went limp and was gone.

So the two injection system can work, The vet had fixed a tube of clear liquid to a vein for the first jab (we did not see this) and the second jab was into the top of the clear liquid container.

She joined our household at a time we were in tempory accomadation. We had a large dog, a tough rabbit and fancy rat all living loose with us, She spent a week spying on us then when the door was open and we were carrying in shopping, she just barged past us and came in. She accepted that she was the newcommer and though she took no nonsence from the other animals, she took a motherly interest in them.

We miss her. (No time to spell check)

Chessie, I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. I love my animals so much that I know what you must be going through. Like most pet owners, I've had to have animals put to sleep. One of the most distressing was our very old gentleman cat, Stanley. Although he only had the one injection, he reacted rather like your cat did. He was so nearly ready to go when I took him in but he seemed to know what the needle meant, his life force strengthened and he struggled quite strongly. It was very distressing for me, but I think just an instinctive reaction for him. I always think that cats are only lent to us for a while, we have to treasure them for the time we have with them.

Best wishes.

Hi Chessie,

I called my vet earlier and explained what happened with your cat and he told me that even though he/she wasn't asleep for the second injection the brain is already disconnected so no pain apart from a slight sting of the needle is felt by the cat.  The convulsing that you witnessed is a natural reaction of the body contuinuing to fuction and breathe, he assured me that the cat feels no pain.  WhenI told him about the bleeding nose, he said that after the cat had passed away swelling may have caused burst vessels, which is usual with elderly cats.

You were right to relieve the poor animal of it's suffering, don't feel bad you acted out of kindess.

For Chessie and others going through the same.......

If it should be that I grow weak,

And pain should wake me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done,

For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,

Don't let your grief then stay your hand

For this time more than all the rest,  

Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,

What is to come will hold no fears.

You'll not want me to suffer so,

When the time comes please let me go.

Do not grieve it should be you,

Who has to decide this thing to do

We've been so close we two, these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Smile, for we walked together a while.

Dear Chessie,

I hope you have taken comfort from some of the other posts.   If it's any reassurance, our old dog was put to sleep by the vet here in France last year with the two injection method.   She first gave an anaesthetic in a vein, but then couldn't find another one and ended up doing the second injection directly into the heart, which she said that she was trying to avoid.   The dog reacted quite badly to he anaesthetic - she was 19 years old and her heart was weak - but after the second injection she died almost instantly.   The vet said that she wouldn't have felt anything at all almost straight away after the first injection    Please try to remember that you did the right thing for your cat and that it's very unlikely there was any suffering at all.   

I am thinking about you.