For the loss of a much loved dog

Frenchie

My sister's just lost her dog, she had  her for 16 years ( almost 17) ...  She shared all the ups and downs of their family life, she was a member of it.

My sister's children, aged 12 and 10, can't stop crying. Especially the boy ( 12), because he  accompanied his dad when he took her to the vet ( he insisted he wanted to) , and came back only with the lead in his hand. . .

She told me this morning " il est vraiment effondré " ..

I wonder if someone like Christine ( because she's an animal lover and I know she 's fluent in French) , could suggest something comforting I can send them, a poem, anything..

I feel so sorry for them.

Edited : And I feel guilty because I'm crying too.

[quote user="Frenchie"]I feel so sorry for them.

Edited : And I feel guilty because I'm crying too.[/quote]

Don't feel guilty ... it's super that your sister's dog was so loved, nearly 17 years is a long time. IMO she had earned the right to be mourned and cried over.

Sorry cannot help with the poem though.

Sue

I feel for you Frenchie, we have a much loved collie x lab which has just been diagnosed with mouth cancer,  we have just learned that after 4 years trying we have got a sale for our house in Uk, she is insured in Uk but obviously when we move to France it will be a pre-existing condition so not insured, it's not the fact that we will have to pay for her treatment in France, but having promised her her "French retirement" it now looks like being rather short. So very sad.[:(]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Especially the boy ( 12), because he  accompanied his dad when he took her to the vet ( he insisted he wanted to) , and came back only with the lead in his hand. . .

[/quote]

I don't normally contribute to threads like this, because there's nothing to add. It's a very personal thing.

However, this young man showed maturity beyond his years. Well done to him, at a sad time for the family.

If your sister can read in English, this is a really good book by Virgina Ironside:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goodbye-Dear-Friend-Coming-Terms/dp/1861050313

I have bought it as a gift for numerous people.  On Amazon, there is a "look inside the book" feature and so you can read the first few pages.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

We have just had the results of the biopsy back, she has a very aggressive type of cancer and will not last more than a few months at best, more likely weeks. If the vet puts them down in the surgery can you take them home for burial? Would like to have her near us, if we have her put down at home ( in France ) can we still bury her in the garden?

That poem can start me off any time. I took my old labrador that we'd had for 14 years to the vet's in October last year to be PTS. The vet was so kind, he came out to the car to give him the injection that made him drift off to sleep and left me with him for 5-6 mins or so while I sat and talked to him and stroked him; he loved the car so was comfortable being there rather than in the surgery. The vet then returned to give him the lethal dose which Jet knew nothing about; it was all so peaceful and calm (although I was having a hard time controlling myself). I then drove him home and he's buried in a lovely spot in the garden.

I said I was not getting another dog as we still had one other lab, but about a month ago I went and picked an adorable little girl, Gordon Setter x Labrador, who is a real bundle of mischief - I had forgotton how naughty, inquisitive and chewy puppies can be![:D]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

I didn't know the poem, but I ve found it on the internet.

I'm going to translate it into French. Brilliant idea.

Merci [kiss]

[/quote]

Rainbow Bridge (In French [kiss])

Quand un animal meurt et qu'il a été particulièrement proche de quelqu'un ici, cet animal va sur le pont en arc-en-ciel.
Il y a des prés et des collines pour tous nos amis spéciaux ainsi ils peuvent vivre et jouer ensemble.
Il y a abondance de nourriture, d'eau et de soleil, et nos amis ont chaud et sont bien.

Tous les animaux qui avaient été malades et vieux sont ramenés à la santé et à la vigueur; ceux qui étaient blessés ou estropiés sont rendus entiers et forts encore, juste comme nous nous en souvenons dans nos rêves des jours et des périodes passés.
Les animaux sont heureux et contents, excepté une petite chose; il manque à chacun quelqu'un très spécial pour lui, qu'il a dû laisser.

Ils courent et jouent ensemble, mais le jour vient où soudainement l'un d'eux s'arrête et regarde au loin. Ses yeux lumineux sont attentifs; son corps est parcouru des tremblements du désir. Soudain, il commence à courir, volant au-dessus de l'herbe verte, ses pattes le portant de plus en plus rapidement.

Vous avez été repèré, et quand vous et votre ami vous retrouvez finalement, vous vous embrassez dans une union joyeuse, pour ne plus jamais être séparés. Les baisers heureux pleuvent sur votre visage; vos mains caressent encore la tête aimée, et vous regardez une fois de plus dans les yeux de confiance de votre animal chéri, parti depuis tellement longtemps de votre vie mais jamais absent de votre coeur.

• 2 weeks later...