Cat question - URGENT

alittlebitfrench

Worm treatment is only needed for dogs and not for cats.

Cat has to be chipped and passported

Rabies injection has to be given at least 21 days before travel and still be within the validity of the injection (1 year France but 2 or sometimes 3 years in the UK).

Leven Wrote:

"That's fine for you but what about the cat"

I am taking with us some French cat food so she does not have to endure British cat food. Have you ever tried giving a cat galviscon ?

Should you not be busy fixing collapsed gable end stone walls with Brico depot windows ? I hope you buried a copy of the sun in that fine restoration. I could just imagine it collapsing in 5 years time and in the dust and chaos there are floating pages of the sun. Go to France with P&O for 1 Pound....only in the sun.

Now you should know bricodepot no longer stock wooden windows, although it was a bricodepot window it was second hand, that is why the job was so cheap to do.

Remember to take some bordem pills for the cat, his head will hurt being stuck in the car with you

You have reminded me of our journey when we moved back to the UK with the cat. 1000 miles we have to do, so I went and had a word with our french vet and he suggested that we fly him back.

So I looked into it and the only carrier I could find at the time, that was including contact people in Paris, was to go to Bordeaux. then the cat would go to Heathrow and then we could pick him up.

An eight hour'ish run to Bordeaux and then the cat would still have had Heathrow to the NE of England. So that would have been silly.

Back to the vet, and how does one travel long distances with a cat and he said that we needed his cat lit, food and drink and somewhere to rest and sleep.

Well, I tried to get hold of something like that, I really did and could not, so OH made one. Bought a dinky cat lit. And he built a crate, and put a divider in it, with a hole at the top of the divider so that the cat could get through to use his lit. There was a grill on the front and a big comfy cushion and a little dish of food attached to the grill and a hamster water thing too, although every time we stopped we tried to get him to drink from a water dish.

The cat stayed firmly on his comfy cushion, never ate or drank.

We had cat food with us, and extra water, as the taste of the water between where we lived in the Alpes and just about anywhere else is different. And when we got to our new home gradually changed his water to the stuff here.

I know water is never just water, as sometimes I get cramps with different stuff.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]I will just give the cat the Ipad with its own FE login so it can read your renovation threads. That will keep her entertained.

Might have to tie her paws together so she does not try to self harm herself whilst reading them.

LOL[/quote]

Your cat will be bored reading the renovation threads but at least she will know you are talking baloney when you are trying to show her how to wire a plug . The smileys do not work here, a bit like you. LOL

"One is either a cat person or is not."

Not always true Gluey. We aren't but, we noticed a cat hanging around our garden and saw it was starting to look a little worse for wear. It belonged to our dear friend the neighbour next door who had passed away, and due to the fact we fed and looked after the cat while the owner was in a hospital for the best part of a year, the cat was happy in our company. We realised that the cat now hated the neighbour's relatives because they had moved in with two huge dogs, so the cat moved out. We took pity on it and I built it a cat house in our garden and we feed it, but that's it, it's not allowed in our house however much it looks through our windows and smiles at us. Of course, the problem is that when we go back to the UK for a few weeks at a time we now feel obligated to make cat feeding arrangements. Fortunately, there is a pair of cat lovers up the road who love to come down feed and brush the cat, so this moggy is very fortunate to have found two pairs of mugs. One who is a cat person and another who is not

Doesn't matter if you are a cat person or not, Nick, they have a way of "converting" you and by dint of persuasion and other little feline tricks, they have you eating out of their fingers..........oops, other way round, you have them feeding out of your fingers...........oh, nevermind, you know what I mean[:)]

Mint, I've got plenty of friends with cats - who love them - but they have not yet converted me!  They would have more success with a dog, but my initial premise ... life is much simpler without pets - still stands - having a husband can be bad enough at times (especially when ill - ha ha!).

We did have a dog as a pet when I was little, but never since, and now I have no wish to complicate my life further. ... it's full of enough problems already!  And I like to travel ... so no way.

Dogs, cats, budgies, children, husband, in-laws, parents, siblings, even close friends, all can and do complicate life.  But, c'est la vie, n'est-ce pas?

Good and bad, swings and roundabouts and you can place them in order of priority if you wish.  For me, dog before husband.............well, most of the time anyway![:D]