Better watch out then. The police are now actively deploying the ANRP system which instantly checks Registration, MOT and insurance database data. If there is a discrepancy the car is stopped and immediately impounded and only released when back-tax , insurance, and fines are paid. If not paid within a week or so the car is simply crushed. By next summer the police are likely to have as many ANRP systems as they currently have mobile speed cameras.

I saw this system being tested in Birmingham. Down in the cutting where the Aston Expressway leaves town all traffic was funnelled through what looked like roadwork, but was in fact a way of providing plenty of parking space for detained villains.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not taxed, it's probably not insured., If it's not insured, it's probably not MoT'd  ( and even if it was insured the lack of an MOT invalidates the insurance anyway).

OK alcy then tell us why those assumptions are wrong.  The check on cars having a valid MOT and insurance is having to have these before you can get road tax.  90% of untaxed cars are either not insured or have no MOT, why else would they not be taxed?    Lets hope the next boy racer who wipes your car out has at least insurance eh 

Will, well I am surprised at you, but you are not telling all are you?  You have exported your cars haven't you.   but, are you sure with the alleged crackdown by French insurers on " illegal" cars in France that you really are insured should you ever have to put it to the test?   

Hello

It never ceases to amaze me why the uk keeps this system of the "road fund licence". Besides having nothing whatsoever to do with funding roads it is also ridiculously expensive to collect and enforce. I know I am probably taking a rather simple view, but why not raise the price of fuel. Are there are too many jobs involved in the police and civilian collection/enforcement agencies? Surely that would release quite a few policepersons to answer calls from distraught homeowners whose property has been violated and who at the moment are left with a crime number and little else.

[quote]Hello It never ceases to amaze me why the uk keeps this system of the "road fund licence". Besides having nothing whatsoever to do with funding roads it is also ridiculously expensive to collect and ...[/quote]

Easy answer to that one Zeb100 "The check on cars having a valid MOT and insurance is having to have these before you can get road tax"

Pollice only check road tax if they are bored or stop yopu, but if you think that the Police are the onlyones checking road tax in he UK,  thnk again, every traffic warden and local authority car park warden checks every car they see.

Well, that looks like two people who missed an important point. I confess, the statement was deliberately worded to encourage you to miss it. Neither of the vehicles referred to in my post above have been exported either. It's just that they never needed to be re-registered because they were bought, left hand drive, with French immatriculation. As such we can drive with a clear conscience as residents in France and as visitors to Britain.

The point I was trying to make is that things aren't necessarily always exactly as they seem. Maybe the vehicles at the ferry port have been dumped there - I have seen them too, and several of them look as if they certainly haven't been driven since the road tax expired.

I do agree though that the many long-term British registered vehicles you do see on the road with no signs of British tax, French insurance or CT are, to say the least, of dubious legality. If people want to report possible law breakers I think they would do far better reporting these, that they have actually seen being driven on public roads.

Zeb100 makes a good point, but I suspect that an increase in British fuel prices, which are perceived as far too high already, even if accompanied by a reduced or scrapped road tax would not go down at all well. Anyway, it's not entirely true that France has no excise duty for private cars. As other posts demonstrate, the cost of a carte grise can be quite considerable, and if people change vehicles often can be far more than the British tax disc.

Ron

A tax disc is no proof of MOT or insurance. It is quite possible to walk into a post office and get a year's road tax with an MOT and insurance cert that are valid for less than a week.

Conversely, to say that no tax disc probably means no MOT and insurance is like saying arabic appearance = terrorist/rioter.

OK alcy then tell us why those assumptions are wrong. 

Alcy? Alcy? Who told you that? I deny it strongly. Yes, I like my beer, and my red wine, and pastis, and a few cocktails, but "alcy"...................

The check on cars having a valid MOT and insurance is having to have these before you can get road tax.

OK, but I regfer you to Motorhead's post: you certainly CAN have tax without either of the other two, and that's because all three do not coincide on their renewal dates.

90% of untaxed cars are either not insured or have no MOT,

And you got these figures from?........... Don't, PLEASE don't tell me DVLA or any other government agency I refer you to my comment on the "speed kills" mantra

why else would they not be taxed? 

Well perhaps because the driver thought about it, bought insurance, got it MoT'd so it'd be safe, then ran out of money, or, more likely, ran out of patience with grasping government, and decided NOT to give them that bit of tax

Lets hope the next boy racer who wipes your car out has at least insurance eh

Yep............or Mr Baseball bat will be visiting him

Alcazar

Oh, and before anyone writes in about some comments here, the last one is tongue in cheek

Dicky I think that the fact that the post is about people who live in france you need not worry.

Will, I did smile when I saw your last but one post,still when you think of what the road tax (UK)costs it,s a great deal better than the cost of the autoroutes even with a lower price of fuel,that is for those of us who live on the sunny side.

But is it not equally true that there is at least an alternative to les autoroutes and hence the charges, whereas in the UK one is stuffed with the tax whether one likes it or not regardless of route or mileage covered per year. So the poor pay proportionally more.

Yes, I appreciate the difficulty, but think I would rather have a road tax system based on the capacity of the car's engine, its environmental friendliness and fuel consumption. This would both be a graduated one-off tax on first registration of new cars and an annual tax (also graduated). Thus, people would at least have a choice. Which is also true of sticking it all on petrol.

Perhaps all these cars belong to the Queen woman she doesn't have to tax her cars just as the police don't - they may be undercover cop cars.

It always amazes me that the powers that be and the council in UK for instance are not insured for many normal risks as it is too expensive and yet these very people expect us proles to have it.

I am still sure that at one time you did not need insurance for a motor vehicle if you lodged £10,000 or so with the government which sort of made you an insurer.

But in todays divided society you can only lose something if you have something to lose.

[quote]Ron A tax disc is no proof of MOT or insurance. It is quite possible to walk into a post office and get a year's road tax with an MOT and insurance cert that are valid for less than a week. Converse...[/quote]

"A tax disc is no proof of MOT or insurance. It is quite possible to walk into a post office and get a year's road tax with an MOT and insurance cert that are valid for less than a week"  

Agreed MH, but to get one you DO have to have insurance of some sort and the same 6 months or a year later. I know the arguements about MOT's only being a test of the car that day, wheels can be changed etc after the test but you would agree, that you cannot get road tax without a valid MOT and insurance, even if it has only got a week to run, the French way is to have the CT and insurance disc on display and maybe that it what the UK should contemplate.

A french CT runs longer than an MOT,so not having MOT means the car may be safe after the MOT runs out!The bigger the engine means per BHP that is is more fuel efficient,fact is that any car with brit plates and no road tax are breaking the law,and because I have changed my plates at great cost they should but dobed in grassed up call it what you like,after all why should I pay and someone else not???

[quote]A french CT runs longer than an MOT,so not having MOT means the car may be safe after the MOT runs out!The bigger the engine means per BHP that is is more fuel efficient,fact is that any car with brit...[/quote]

Exactly! It is also called 'obeying the law'.

Nothing to do with the thread but ... "Coprolite"

What on earth possessed/inspired you to choose such an interesting and original name?  Is it a term of endearment used by your wife/husband or are you a coprologist by trade (is there such a thing?).  I had to check your other posts to see whether you were a troll - you know - someone who would liken him/herself to fossilized merde does seem a bit strange!!

On the subject of UK motoring costs - road fund licence and petrol. Both are cheaper in real terms than when I started driving 40 years ago. At that time petrol was 5 shillings a gallon and the RF licence £17-10s. Work it out. Why do you think the roads are jam packed with cars? The point is that motorists like to whinge. If you made everything free they'd demand to be paid to drive! Anyway, if you took all the tax off motoring you'd only have to put it on something else. After all, those bombs we drop on people in distant lands have to be paid for somehow.

Patrick

... off on a tangent ...

The Road Fund was abolished by the Finance Act of 1936. Since then tax payable on the ownership of motor vehicles has not been hypothecated and goes into Treasury funds and is formally Vehicle Excise Duty.

I suspect that most users of this forum were born well after 1936 but continue to use the term "Road Fund Licence". Is there any other piece of redundant motoring lore which has lasted so long?