Vehicle documentation to carry

Stocky

[quote user="P"]

If you look up the dictionary definition of should you will discover that it is really the same as must.

Paul

[/quote]

or it may/may not.

Inflected Form(s): past should /sh&d, 'shud/; present singular & plural shall
Etymology: Middle English shal (1st & 3d sing. present indic.), from Old English sceal; akin to Old High German scal (1st & 3d singular present indicative) ought to, must, Lithuanian skola debt
verbal auxiliary
1 archaic a : will have to : MUST b : will be able to : CAN

John

not

[quote user="Jc"]Keep them on you;DON'T leave them in the vehicle!![/quote]

Have to disagree . Always keep the vehicle documents in the vehicule and not on your person. With five vehcules in our family , anyone of us who drives any of the vehicles will always know that during a controle, the vehicule papers are at hand, and not in your partners handbag (the term handbag refers to both male and female as it is perfectly oK for men to have handbags here!)

Paul

[quote user="Iceni"][quote user="P"]

If you look up the dictionary definition of should you will discover that it is really the same as must.

Paul

[/quote]

or it may/may not.

Inflected Form(s): past should /sh&d, 'shud/; present singular & plural shall

Etymology: Middle English shal (1st & 3d sing. present indic.), from Old English sceal; akin to Old High German scal (1st & 3d singular present indicative) ought to, must, Lithuanian skola debt

verbal auxiliary

1 archaic a : will have to : MUST b : will be able to : CAN

John

not

[/quote]

Tell you what, John, leave them all at home and when you get

stopped, see if the Gendarme  wants to play semantics with

you.  Bon chance!

[quote user="Punch"]

Have to disagree . Always keep the vehicle

documents in the vehicule and not on your person. With five vehcules in

our family , anyone of us who drives any of the vehicles will always

know that during a controle, the vehicule papers are at hand,

and not in your partners handbag (the term handbag refers to both male

and female as it is perfectly oK for men to have handbags here!)

Paul

[/quote]

I agree with your logic, Paul, and we do the same.  The law

doesn't agree with us, however.  We keep it hidden in the car.

The following documents are required to be produced during any police check:  driving licence, carte grise and insurance certificate.

These are the sanctions for non compliance:-

Art 211-1:  Failure to display an insurance vignette - Class 2 offence, 35 euros fixed fine

Art 233-3:  Failure to produce an insurance certificate in the absence of an insurance vignette - Class 2 offence, 35 euros fixed fine

Art 233-1:  Failure to produce driving licence and vehicle registration document - Class 1 offence, 11 euros fixed fine

In each case, the required papers must be produced within 5 days, otherwise each offence is upgraded to Class 4, 135 euros fixed fine.

The non-tamperable vignette stuck on your windscreen by the vehicle tester suffices as proof of current CT.

So, it's CT and insurance vignettes on your windscreen and driving licence, registration document and insurance certificate in your wallet/car.  [:)]

[quote user="Iceni"]

RayB - do TRY to stay awake, I'm the one who said "must".

John

not

[/quote]

The 'you' was generic, John.  I was agreeing with you and

disagreeing with the 'must/can' in the definition.  Do try playing

closer attention.

Apart from the petty - and irrelevant - bickering over the use of the English language (I thought this was a forum for French issues), this has been a very useful thread.

I am grateful to Stocky for raising the question and for those who replied with sensible answers. You may have saved some of us from incurring fines.

[quote user="Punch"]

Have to disagree . Always keep the vehicle documents in the vehicule and not on your person. With five vehcules in our family , anyone of us who drives any of the vehicles will always know that during a controle, the vehicule papers are at hand, and not in your partners handbag (the term handbag refers to both male and female as it is perfectly oK for men to have handbags here!)

Paul

Handy for any thieves too;ask the police/gendarmes.

[/quote]

I think you may find there is a insurance type-document in the car handbook which is usually found in the glove compartment, along with instructions on what to do in an accident. Your hire document shows that the car hire will have covered the insurance, etc, so sensible to carry that also.

It is also sensible to carry driving licence, passport and any other useful docs - and you will not have been able to get your hire car without showing your driving licence and passport, so much easier to carry all the time.

The problem of leaving docs with the car, versus keeping on "self" is only one you can decide, but it seems it is wise that they should be with you when you are in the car. I was also advised to keep a copy of the docs somewhere else, like securely at "home" in case of loss of the originals.

Hope that helps and doesn't repeat what usually gets posted to a forum whilst I am typing my reply!

Thank you for all the useful responses, the other bickering had us in fits of laughter.  Fortunately we are a one car family and I am usually the driver so whether it is in or with the vehicle is not important.  Sorry about the use of 'should' rather than 'must' but English 'O' level was one I didn't get.