Driving on the right for the first time

Tresco

I have a friend who has spent a lot of time in France over the last year, but hasn't yet driven anywhere. I'm determined to get her in the car next time she is here. She has said she would appreciate following me and also having me in her car with her.

Does anyone think either of these is a bad idea, for any reason? (Keep it sensible, if possible[:D])

I can remember being pretty nervous myself, the first few times I drove on the right, and I don't want to do anything to make her even worse than I was.

The trouble is, I know I made all sorts of stupid mistakes, but I can only think of paying extra attentoin at T junctions and empty roundabouts. 

I'd appreciate any tips and hints to pass on to my friend, however simple they may seem. Drowning my Zizou induced sorrows last night has left not feeling too bright[:$]

She just needs to remember that her 'seat' needs to be nearest to the centre of the road ( just like in the UK) it helped me remember where I needed to be when turning at a junction  traffic lights etc.

But this will only work if she's in a LHD [:D]

I certainly can't offer any hints or tips - 'cos I'm worried about the same thing!!  Mark has done all our driving abroad & I'm petrified!! [:-))]

On saying that - when we came back, from France, last time, I drove home from the Airport & drove straight up the wrong side of the road & looked the wrong way at the first roundabout!!  So maybe I'll pick it up pretty quickly!! [:D]

All advice welcomed!!!

[quote user="Viv"]

[/quote]

Right; Yes my friend will be driving a LHD.  Ali will be driving a RHD.

One thing I did think of for Ali, was the scrabbling at the door handle when going to change gear. I think that took me while to get used to, changing gear with my left hand.

I wouldn't fancy joining the motorway at Bordeaux for my first encounter with that little problem![:-))]

I'm beginning to think I don't fancy getting in the car, with someone who feels like a learner. Maybe the following idea is better.

I did it for the first time last time we were out there, it was scarey, but that was good as it made me concentrate a lot harder than i would of normally, The only thing i couldnt get use to was the pavement being on my right hand side(why that bothered me i dont know) but the gear stick and which way i was going came naturally. The only thing that really bothred me was hubby screaming and clutching the dashboard, there was really no need for that

I'd think following would make things more difficult for her, it's something else to look out for and worry about. Could you plan a few nice, easy routes that you could take her on: quiet roads, little traffic, few hazards. That ought to help her build up her confidence and avoid stress for you. Just having someone else to chant "drive on the left" can be worthwhile.

Tresco ............

Best advice would be to do as the French:

• Stick to the middle
  • Not less than 70kph, even on the most rural and windy roads
  • Ignore the possibility of unexpected hazards, such as tractors, cyclists, or even other cars
  • Be prepared (at any second) for a sudden manoeuvre, preferably, to the right 

Tell your friend to follow that and she'll be fine.

p.s.  If she's really that worried, maybe best to leave it for a later life. 

[quote user="pads"]  The only thing that really bothred me was hubby screaming and clutching the dashboard, there was really no need for that[/quote]

Had you taken advice from the Ian Horn School of Motoring?

Funny Ian[:D]

Well I'm guessing she is nervous. She drives a lot in UK, and is a good driver, so why hasn't she driven here? I didn't ask her if she was nervous, just said I'd noticed she hadn't driven here yet, and asked did she fancy me going out with her?

"Just having someone else to chant "drive on the left" can be worthwhile"

But Kathy, this is in France!

Tresco, just go as a passenger after you've made sure it's fitted with air bags, you'll be brilliant, cool, calm and collected. I'd be terrible, I'm hopeless in situations like that or with learner drivers.

Chris

Actually, 'IHSM' has a certain ring about it.  Maybe a business opportunity ?

In truth, the biggest dangers are:

• those tiny unlicensed motorbike engine 'cars'
  • the Dutch (too slow)
  • Parisians (too fast)
  • anyone from the Vaucluse 84 (lethal) - don't know why, they just are
  • the Mums (aged 25 - 35) driving home around 09.10 having dropped off the kid(s) at school

My mum taught me to drive, when I was 17.  But at the start, I would lock myself in my bedroom & refuse to go - I've always been rather nervous of the unknown!!   I blame a condition I was born with - a big yellow streak down my back!!  [:-))]

But now, I just couldn't imagine not being able to drive.  It's why we've hired a Scenic for our first 3 weeks - it's what I drive at home, so I'm at least familar with the car.   I'm going to start as soon as possible - after giving Mark a few valium!!  [blink]

[quote user="Tresco"]

She has said she would appreciate following me and also having me in her car with her.

[/quote]

Funnily enough that brings up memories of Randall & Hopkirk (deceased).

Seriously though. If she has a driving licence stay out of that car. The last thing a nervous driver needs is a commentary.

Take easy steps. Corner shop, Lidl, Super U, Auchan. Then try some roads ! Sorry I was being serious wasn't I ? Leaving an airport inspires mistakes in many people. Get her to drive you to the bar instead. You will at least get a calmer downer.

I used to go round the local town late on a sunday night getting used to the place without worrying about others and parked vehicles both sides of the road during the daytime and it improved my confidence no end especially with a french vehicle.

My wife was terrified of driving on the right, and for the usual marital reasons it was no use me accompanying her. I asked the local driving school proprietor if he would go with her for a couple of trips in her car to give her confidence, and it worked! And, being France, he wouldn't accept any payment: "it was your car and your petrol".

[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="Viv"]

[/quote]

Right; Yes my friend will be driving a LHD.  Ali will be driving a RHD.

One thing I did think of for Ali, was the scrabbling at the door handle when going to change gear. I think that took me while to get used to changing gear with my left hand.[:'(]

I wouldn't fancy joining the motorway at Bordeaux for my first encounter with that little problem![:-))]

[/quote]

If you 're changing gear with your left  hand Mrs T does the window keep opening and closing?[:D]  To be honest I found the transition from RHD driving in France on holiday to premanent LHD difficult, since as you say you almost have to learn to drive again, holding the wheel with the left and using the right to change gear and looking the right way at junctions etc is not natural after many years at the wheel in the UK, but once mastered I have not had a wrong side moment for a long time neither here or in the UK with RHD cars.  Having a LHD car does help because its not what you are used to and you are less likely to have wrong side incident in a LHD car in France than a RHD car because of this, you need to be very careful if you do a U turn this is apparently when a lot of people go on the left side of the road.  What Val says is good sense, practice makes perfect, also do go on an Autoroute, few are like the M1 or M6 and you do get used to RH driving without the risks of junctions and roundabouts.  Its funny as Aliards has said about going back to the UK, I know two people who drove RHD cars here without any reported incidents and both went to the UK and drove RHD cars, one went R/H round a roundabout at Tescos but missed the on-coming cars, the other was not so lucky and pulled out of a supermarket on the R/H side of the road and has a head-on, luckily nobody seriously hurt.  Its not just the British that have problems,  MOH had her car written off in the UK by a Frenchman leaving for work on his first day in England, the problem was he forgot he was in the UK and drove straight out of his drive into the side of her car.  It all boils down to concentration and practice, so Mrs T give it a go as Val says go to a large car park or something in the evening and practice driving LHD but don't distract your friend as far as you can.

[quote user="Tresco"]

[quote user="KathyC"]  Just having someone else to chant "drive on the left" can be worthwhile.[/quote]

Thanks KathyC for your other thoughts, but is this what you meant to say?[:)]

[/quote]

Oops. I knew I was doing something wrong. Perhaps that explains why I keep crashing.into people!

It's good to see you Ron!

"If you 're changing gear with your left  hand Mrs T does the window keep opening and closing"?Big Smile [:D] 

Ah well now, I must have been thinking back to when we still had our English car! Edit, no that's not right either; Now i'm confused too Cathy!

Lots of advice here (much of it contradictory, as usual!)[:)] Thank you, everyone.

I do think driving at night, or at lunch time, is a good idea.

I think I'll print all this out for my friend, (minus the accidents!) and ask her what she would prefer to do.