Using a U.K. registered vehicle in France

SMT

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might I respectfully suggest to our o/p that they speak to their insurance company in the UK.  When I told mine that we were moving here, they were unequivocal in saying that our insurance became invalid the moment we left the country for our new home.  But, without knowing precisely what you'll be doing with your UK home, it's pretty difficult for anybody here to be certain.  If it still has your furniture in it, and you'll be moving out slowly and going back and forth for a while, then I'd say you're probably on marginal - but reasonably safe - ground.  If you are renting it out though, it's self-evident that you are no longer resident there. But your insurance company should have the last word - if they are prepared to cover you when you truthfully explain your circumstances then that's the big thing.  Even a white lie could result in the thing getting up and biting you in the b*ckside should you have an accident - and worse, that of anybody else who may be injured.  But if they are happy, so long as your circumstances do not materially alter, then you should be OK, and so should every other road user.

But bear in mind that insurance companies can and will ,do anything to wriggle out of settling any claims you make.  Fibbing about your circumstances is an open invitation to them to refuse to cough up. So, please don't be tempted.

There's only one bottom line really though - you live here, you register and insure your car here.

Welcome

bit of a sombre note here about reregistering a car. when you do reregister or buy a car it is very impoprtant that you register it in you and your wifes name. this is where the sombre bit comes, if you unfortunately die then the car becomes part of your estate and therefore your wife will not be allowed to drive it without the inheritors written permission.

isn`t there something about 183 days in a year in one country and you are classed as a resident ??   it`s OK just heard SD turn off his bike...

Dave

That's a British tax law and nothing to do with being resident in France. 

[quote user="Copper"]

isn`t there something about 183 days in a year in one country and you are classed as a resident ??   it`s OK just heard SD turn off his bike...

Dave

That's a British tax law and nothing to do with being resident in France. 

[/quote]

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will comment ( SD, Will,) but I was convinced that French law had a 183 day reference to something.

183 days is but one of the many possible factors which can determine one's residental and tax status and also the longest period you are supposed to use a UK reg car in France (EU) as a visitor before having to register, it is it not ?

There may be other implications too of course.

So if I take the car back to uk for a few days every so often then all is well? And have an MOT and UK insurance?

I will be able to drive down the road in France without hordes of crypto....... Brits rushing out with their cameras, fotographing my back end and running off to some magical authorities somewhere to earn what? Brownie points, the right to burn me at the stake (to a steak?). Get real little minds.

Strange, strange thread. I've asked a psychologist specializing in hysteria to look at the content.

[quote user="bigears"]

hi

Yes as long as yo have a valid uk address. 

[/quote]

Wrong. Read your UK insurance documentation. They will only cover UK residents, and that is not the same as having a UK address to use. Have you never heard about insurance companies findiing ways not to pay a claim? They will certainly find out that you are not a resident if they can save money.

It is no good reporting these people to the DVLA as they are not interested. It is the local French police that you need to report them to.

But if the insurance company do not know I am in France or how long I have been there and if I have a UK address, isnt that a way to go? My auntie will give me an address.

My Triumph Stag is over in France now with UK plates. Should I bring it back then?

I am wary of reporting people of course, but what do I report exactly. I've seen this car during X months in France or what?

They only have to suspect you are not resident in the UK. Do you pay your anties phone and electricity bills? Is your name on the electrol register there? Do the Inland Revenue have that address for you? All things that would be easy for an insurance company to check and then tell you where to go once they look at the contract that you have agreed to or signed, where it said in the small print that you are a UK resident.

How long has your Stag been here? If the answer is more than 6 months then go and tell the local French police that you have broken the laws on car importation, see what they say.

They can see that a car has not been back to the UK by how far out of date a tax disc is, or for how long a car has had French insurance.

Thanks Bob, I'll check out those things. Yep, thought of electoral role. And the Revenue have that address. But the French tax people also have my French address.

TheStag has been all over, with visits to Spain and Italy and Belgium. Tax disc is ok, insurance I'll check. What do I do about the MOT? French one ok for UK insurance?

Thanks for the tips. I think there are lots of us who have a little runabout for when we are here. Hope nobody reports us. From what I can see there are lots of very unhappy people who might.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

..................................................... Hope nobody reports us. From what I can see there are lots of very unhappy people who might.

[/quote]

Personally I don't give a toss about how you and others keep and/or use a vehicle here, providing you/they don't run into me or any of my family or friends. Then it becomes a whole new ball-game................................[:@]

When, not if, you get caught, you can hardly claim ignorance of the rules.

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="woolybanana"]

..................................................... Hope nobody reports us. From what I can see there are lots of very unhappy people who might.

[/quote]

Personally I don't give a toss about how you and others keep and/or use a vehicle here, providing you/they don't run into me or any of my family or friends. Then it becomes a whole new ball-game................................[:@]

When, not if, you get caught, you can hardly claim ignorance of the rules.

[/quote]

But the rules are so opaque. I am really unclear now what is really possible

Personally wooly I think you're having a bit of a joust with us but what the hell.................[;-)]

[quote user="woolybanana"]So if I take the car back to uk for a few days every so often then all is well? And have an MOT and UK insurance?[/quote]No, it's 6 month's in any 12.

[quote user="woolybanana"]TheStag has been all over, with visits to Spain and Italy and Belgium. Tax disc is ok, insurance I'll check. What do I do about the MOT? French one ok for UK insurance?[/quote]A French CT has no standing whatsoever in relation to UK Tax plus if the car has been in France longer than the period allowed by your insurance, normally 30, 60, or possibly 90 days, then the cover is invalid.

[quote user="woolybanana"]But if the insurance company do not know I am in France or how long I have been there and if I have a UK address, isnt that a way to go? My auntie will give me an address.

My Triumph Stag is over in France now with UK plates. Should I bring it back then?[/quote]Maybe they don't know at this moment in time but come the day something happens in France the onus will be on you to prove that it HASN'T been in France all this time which you won't be able to. As for bringing it back, if the MOT has run out then unless you have a pre-arranged appoinment with a garage to which you immediately proceed you'll be committing an offence as soon as the wheels touch UK soil.

Ultimately it's just not worth the risk.

Leaving aside the fact that the ANPR cameras would probably get you within days would you willingly and knowingly drive without insurance in UK ?

I would sincerely hope not so why on earth would you do it in a foreign country where the potential consequences of having an accident could be as bad, if not considerably worse ?