Warning if you are driving in France

cowoman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Cette obligation concerne les conducteurs de véhicules immatriculés en France, de même que les conducteurs de véhicules étrangers circulant en France. En revanche, elle ne s'applique pas aux conducteurs de véhicules à deux ou trois roues et de quadricycles à moteur non-carrossés.

From securite routier web site

From the AA link :

Stop Press *

The introduction of the regulation concerning the compulsory carriage of a reflective jacket will now come in to force on the 1st October 2008 (initially this was due to be introduced on the 1st July 2008). It will be compulsory for all French registered vehicles to have a reflective safety jacket on board which must me kept inside the vehicle and it will also be compulsory to carry a warning triangle. The authorities are yet to confirm whether these requirements will apply to foreign registered vehicles. This advice will be updated as soon as confirmation is received.

June 2008

© Automobile

Maybe the AA are taking a 'belt and braces' approach and trying to forestall any smart Alec who claims the regulations do not apply to them as the car is not French registered.....

I know that, even for French registered vehicles, there is an amnesty period until October, where transgressors will be verbally warned but not penalised.  At the moment, around here, the yellow gillets are really hard to find, no sooner do new stocks come in then they're sold out.  I know people who have been trying for months to get them locally.

http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/france/societe/0,,3893887,00-gilet-amende-avant-octobre-.html

[quote user="Russethouse"]

From the AA link :

Stop Press *

The introduction of the regulation concerning the compulsory carriage of a reflective jacket will now come in to force on the 1st October 2008 (initially this was due to be introduced on the 1st July 2008). It will be compulsory for all French registered vehicles to have a reflective safety jacket on board which must me kept inside the vehicle and it will also be compulsory to carry a warning triangle. The authorities are yet to confirm whether these requirements will apply to foreign registered vehicles. This advice will be updated as soon as confirmation is received.

June 2008

© Automobile

Maybe the AA are taking a 'belt and braces' approach and trying to forestall any smart Alec who claims the regulations do not apply to them as the car is not French registered.....

[/quote]

It appears that the AA have not received the updated info

* Cette obligation concerne les conducteurs de véhicules immatriculés en France, de même que les conducteurs de véhicules étrangers circulant en France. En revanche, elle ne s'applique pas aux conducteurs de véhicules à deux ou trois roues et de quadricycles à moteur non-carrossés.

Why do people read such a shite paper???  According to this appalingly inaccurate article "British motorists face £100 fine for failing to wear fluorescent vests when driving in France".  Funnily enough this isn't true and as the article eventually says fines will not be imposed for six months long after johnny england has gone home. 

The article also says ,  

For years they’ve regarded British motorists as a soft target, lurking outside Channel ports to catch cars drifting just a few kilometres an hour over the limit.

If that is really true how come so many reach Rouen without a GB plate to be seen.  Are the Brits, alone of all the EU countries, so ashamed of their country that they don't want anyone to know where they come from.[Www]

I would also like clarification of the actual colour. I have absolutely no problem with this law, its a good thing......but the seven jackets I have in the car (7 seater) are orange, they have been there for some years and I don't really want to bin them unless I have to.

Council Directive 89/686/EEC of 21 December

1989 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to

personal protective equipment says nothing about the colour of the jacket at all.  It is only concerned with the reflective device or devices affixed.

PPE in the form of clothing capable of signalling the user's presence visually

PPE in the form of

clothing intended for foreseeable conditions of use in which the user's

presence must be visibly and individually signalled must have one (or

more) judiciously positioned means of or devices for emitting direct or

reflected visible radiation of appropriate luminous intensity and

photometric and colorimetric properties.

The significant part is about "one (or

more) judiciously positioned means of or devices for emitting direct or

reflected visible radiation" and this clearly refers to the 'grey' reflective bands usually positioned around the torso and/or over the shoulders.  As long as these (or equivalent) devices
>emit direct or

reflected visible radiation of appropriate luminous intensity and

photometric and colorimetric properties then it doesn't really matter what colour or form the rest of the device takes.  It doesn't even have to be a jacket, reflective trousers would be OK as long as you could get them on before exiting the car!

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

If that is really true how come so many reach Rouen without a GB plate to be seen.  [/quote]

Ron

I know that I jokingly called you my cyberstalker but now you have got me realy worried.

We visited Rouen today to visit the armada, I drove and my car doesnt wear a GB plate.

I can see that further camoflage is going  be necessary, I have recently bought a French folding caravan that was sold new and  used thereafter in England, when I bring it over here and register it I will leave the GB plate on it.

I could not believe how many UK registered cars I saw today until I realised that it was the Le Man classic this weekend.

Rest easy, chaps - no GB plate needed within the EU if the number plate has the EU symbol on it. 

We have people here from the Classic at the moment, JR.  I swept the barn out especially.  Bit disappointing when two of the cars that arrived were a Clio and a funny little Vauxhall box-shaped thing instead of the Lotus and Jag we were expecting.  [:(] 

The Alpine A610's a bit different, though. [:)]

Meanwhile, back on topic.....

What's the thinking behind the 'must be kept inside the vehicle' bit ? (which I assume means 'not in the boot', as opposed to 'not taped to the roof/hidden in a hubcap/squashed down the side of the battery')

paul