Calais to orleon

margate1

Anyone know a really sound way to set the sat nav from Calais through Paris to Orleon? I have done this so many times without problems, but have never gone the same way twice. I wanted a full proof setting.

Coming back is easy as I just follow signs for Lille and it is straightforward enough.You just have to have eyes up your backside to watch for the motorbikes.

Thankyou

We come up from Belves regularly and I set Pontoise as a via point. I'm now suggesting you use Pontoise, but ten minutes with a good old fashioned map, and you'll be able to see a good via point, and I find this usually gets a good route, and one we have use lot. It's a system that may work for you!

[quote user="brummie phil"]

Anyone know a really sound way to set the sat nav from Calais through Paris to Orleon? I have done this so many times without problems, but have never gone the same way twice. I wanted a full proof setting.

Coming back is easy as I just follow signs for Lille and it is straightforward enough.You just have to have eyes up your backside to watch for the motorbikes.

Thankyou

[/quote]

If you follow Lille on the way back, you should follow Bordeaux on the way there, this takes you onto the A10 Oleans/Paris

[quote user="f1steveuk"]That's the route we usually end up going, but I am always trying to find something that skirts Paris a liitle closer!!
[/quote]

The quick answer to that question is that the nearer you get to skirting Paris the longer the journey will be, remember that the second class roads meander all over the place. We travel down to Vendome regularly and depending on the time of day if you can time it to miss the heavy goods vehicles the best route as Keni says " is Calais, Boulogne, then Rouen, Dreux, Evreux, Chartres and Orleans".

[quote user="brummie phil"]Is it signposted all the way through Paris though to Bordeaux?

Coming back it is signposted to Lille all the way through,so it is quite easy.

Have you done this?[/quote]

Done it a couple of times, yes it is signposted for Bordeaux all the way round Paris... we usually do Rouen route, cheaper on tolls and dual carriageway virtually all the way - Eurotunnel-Orleans 4 hours on a good day

[quote user="brummie phil"]Is it signposted all the way through Paris though to Bordeaux?

Coming back it is signposted to Lille all the way through,so it is quite easy.

Have you done this?[/quote]

Should add not through Paris - round Paris on the motorways follow Bordeaux

We've had so many people recommend the Rouen, Dreux, Evreux, Chartres, Orleans route that it occurs to me that if any of us were to break down along the route we cold just stand at the side of the road and some other forum member would be along within an hour or two. Perhaps I should add that we've been using this route for years now and it's improving all the time.

Hoddy

[quote user="Clarkkent"][quote user="NickP"]

" is Calais, Boulogne, then Rouen, Dreux, Evreux, Chartres and Orleans".

[/quote]

I use this route frequently. It is well signposted - why on earth does anyone need sat-nav?

[/quote]

Before the A28 and satnavs I used that route 6-7 written lines of points on the route sellotaped to my sun visor [:)] After my last trip in the van was 95 Euros for tolls I will give it a go again especially if as you say it's improved some more.

For me, the only problematic point on the route is after you emerge from the tunnel into Rouen and have to drift to the right to avoid continuing to the autoroute and turn left onto the N154. But the first sign after the traffic lights says "ORLEANS" - and then it's easy.

When you come out of the tunnel - follow initially the route marked Elbeouf - there is a first turn to the right, ignore this, you swing down on the second right (I believe), it is a tight loop and drops you down a spiral. You drive alongside the railway and then go straight over the 'cow roundabout'.

The total tolls we pay on this route is 20 euros in the car - we come off at Limoges. There is no charge from Vierzon (south of Orleans) to Limoges on the A20

• 2 weeks later...
Came back through Paris, in the rush hour torrential rain and couldn't see the lane markings.Someone nearly came into the front of us,changing lanes.

Good news is....we survived!!!

Never thought I would ever say this but those coloured cat's eyes out of Dover were a godsend. They need them through Paris, because despite the car lights, the road is very dark when it is raining.

Just to endorse the "Rouen" route , which I've used for 20 years.

The tricky bit is when you leave the "mile" tunnel entering Rouen , I just follow the signs for A13 Paris.

Strange , I know , when you are trying to avoid Paris , but you leave the A13 after a few miles , signed Evreux.

[quote user="Northender"]Just to endorse the "Rouen" route , which I've used for 20 years.

The tricky bit is when you leave the "mile" tunnel entering Rouen , I just follow the signs for A13 Paris.

Strange , I know , when you are trying to avoid Paris , but you leave the A13 after a few miles , signed Evreux.[/quote]

Now that is a useful tip, as I've always said, I don't want to go to Paris. - and gone wrong!

Now I know to follow Paris until Evreux is signposted, I might be brave enough to try on my own (difficult to navigate, see signs, and drive all at the same time!!) - but the autoroutes are always the easiest signs to see.

Strangely, going north, it's a doddle, just have never worked out why I go wrong each time I've tried it before going south (usually I've been navigating and hubby has been driving, this time I've got to do it on my own!).

[quote user="f1steveuk"]I think next time we drive up (or down) to home, instead of telling my other half, "there's a British car", I'll just say, "that's so and so, off the forum"!!
[/quote]

....Here is a thought.....a CompleteFrance Forum car sticker! (all rights reserved etc.)