Speeding in France

MondeoMan

Sid,

I started riding at the age of 11 back in Ireland. Off-road of course until getting a moped at 16 and a proper bike at 17. Since which time I have had periods without 4 wheels but never without 2. I've also ridden BMW works bikes in Enduro racing but have never raced on tarmac. Best road bikes over the years? Z1000 (the original not the modern one), R80GS, R1200 GS Adventure and R1150RT (only the air-cooled boxer twins for me). Along with assorted Oriental machinery of varying capacity but equal blandness. Presumably this is but a fraction of your experience but it's the best I can do over the past 40-odd years

Incidentally, once Hitler or the Nazis are mentioned it's usually a sign that the thread has reached its conclusion (Godwin's law).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have come late to this thread and have read it all.  It is interesting how the topic of speeding soon seems to develop into an argument between people who are very concerned that some people seem to think it is OK to speed and those who come from the "I'm a good driver and the road was empty" camp.

Everywhere one sees the signs "Speed Kills".  Presumably those signs are there for a reason.  Presumably speed limits are imposed by governments because they think setting limits is a good thing and reduces the number of accidents etc.  At some point in the on-going argument, someone always mentions the German motorways and their lack of a limit.  The most interesting thing I saw on a German motorway was a traffic policeman walking down the fast lane, facing oncoming traffic,  German drivers were so disciplined that they all managed to move into the middle lane (and the existing middle lane drivers made room for them) and avoided the pedestrian.

I don't understand why it is "...walking on water....." or being "holier-than-thou...." to express a view that driving at such excessive speeds as the OP did is completely stupid as well as against the law.

There just seems to be something about speeding which polarises people. [:)]

PS In my youth I was fined for driving at 37 miles an hour in a 30 mph zone [:$]

[quote user="Simon-come-lately"][quote user="PaulT"]

And then on the empty motorway a tyre suddenly bursts - could be bit of debris on the road and now the car is somersaulting through the air and the motorway is closed for a number of hours for the recovery of body and car and the investigations that take place.

But I see where you are coming from, it is Fords fault for building a car that can go at 140+ mph.

Perhaps you could stab someone and then blame the knife manufaturer because they made it sharp.

[/quote]

No tyre burst

No debris on the road

No car somersaulting through the air

No motorway was closed

No body was recovered

Nobody was stabbed

Mondeoman was caught speeding - not exactly a tsunami is it?

PaulT - you obviously watch far too much James Bond - more important things happening in the world! Get a grip......

Simon :-)

[/quote]

I may need to change my name to James Bond.....

From personal experience when driving up the M6 near Preston many years ago at 70mph (and no more) a front tyre burst, the reason for which I do not know. Suddenly the car had a mind of its own. I was fortunate. Firstly it was early in the morning and no other car near me. Secondly the front seat passenger realised what was happening and grabbed the wheel to help me control the car - admittedly this was in a car without power steering.

This experience always remains in my mind.

Now if I had been going a lot faster I am sure that the outcome would have been a lot different to getting the car, in one pice apart from a damaged tyre, on to the hard shoulder. Could well have been in to the barrier or another car.

I presume you have never seen any of the film from motorway cameras that are shown on TV of what happens in a blowout?

Paul

Paul T - what a scary world you live in.

What if, what if, what if........

You weren't going faster, it wasn't a lot different and you didn't go into the barrier or another car!

It DIDN'T happen! Like it didn't happen for Mondeoman....

PS don't have nightmares.....and don't you dare go more than 70mph or I'll have you reported and put into the stocks at the very least....

[quote user="Thibault"]If your last post was addressed to me, I'm afraid I'm a bit slow this morning.  Perhaps you could explain what you mean?[/quote]

Yes, it was addressed to you Saint Thibault. Happy to explain - quite simple really.....

Mondeoman came onto this ever-so-friendly forum for help and advice - not to be berrated for his actions - he's done that to himself!

Give me strength....

Simon, you really are making yourself look quite silly now with your name calling and snide remarks. All done in the safety of the virtual world of a forum, of course. Perhaps its time you went back to your Nintendo or Action Man.

As regards self flagellation well you can of course, feel free, but if you need a hand to get started just let us have your address and we'll be happy to come down to you and get you going.

[quote user="Simon-come-lately"] [quote user="Thibault"]If your last post was addressed to me, I'm afraid I'm a bit slow this morning.  Perhaps you could explain what you mean?[/quote]  Yes, it was addressed to you Saint Thibault. Happy to explain - quite simple really.....Mondeoman came onto this ever-so-friendly forum for help and advice - not to be berrated for his actions - he's done that to himself!

Give me strength....Simon :-)[/quote]

Thank you for advancing me to the sainthood. [:)], but if you read my post properly it was addressing the point that any post about speeding usually results in respondents being polarised into two camps either for or against speeding.  I did not "berate" the OP.

Paul, on a technical point, fast cars have fast spec (and very expensive they are as a result) tyres.  The rubber on our BX 16v was rated VR (ie good to 150mph).  I well remember the lovely guy who ran our local tyre place when we ordered a couple from him saying :  "F*** Me, this thing must go like s*** off a shovel."  And it did. 

Name calling is pointless, chaps, and doesn't advance anybody's cause. 

I try and stick to the speed limit and have never had a ticket. The near misses I have had in France have been due to other drivers going round bends on the wrong side of the road, bad over taking , and treating roundabouts as a straight on without even glancing to their left.

[quote user="Gardener"]I try and stick to the speed limit and have never had a ticket. [/quote]I know you wont' believe it but me too, and neither have I! [:)]  I wasn't so sensible when I was younger, though, but I still managed never to get caught.

The roundabout thing is pretty scary, but at least one is prepared for it since everybody does it!

Me, I'd love to be able to drive faster than 70mph on british motorways, I find it a mind numbing speed and frankly so boring that I am not surprised that more people do not fall asleep at the wheel.

Even the 130 kph is tedious. I actually believe on a long clear motorway, that one's attention and focus is there when one is actually 'speeding'. Towns etc are a quite different kettle of fish roads in France with their priorité a droite which certainly adds a certain je ne sais quoi to driving there.

I remember the first time I drove in a french city. All was going OK and then we got to some lights.The road ahead was four lanes wide and everyone was revving up at the lights. It was a racing start as everyone set off, I was in the right hand lane. 'You need to be in the left hand lane' husband said, 'we have to turn off in about 200 yards'. And so I too learned to drive like maniac, well I thought so at the time. But that wasn't really how it was. I suppose I learned to 'drive'. I don't know if any cars in the 80's were actually going 'that fast' as we all left the lights, but one has to learn to judge traffic and spaces and even force one's way in if necessary. And what a surprise, they do let you in, and rarely with les gestes obscenes.

Things have calmed down a lot in France, but my was it fun actually 'driving' when I first got there.

I haven't got a speeding ticket either if we are all comparing.

Most modern cars just don't feel 'fast' anymore and heaven knows we have never bought a 'fast' car.

AND another thing. When I was in my early twenties, I would get in cars with drivers who had had more to drink than I had, that would not be hard incidentally. We would all pile in, an old Zephyr with the bench seat at the front could get a lot of people in it, both front and back and the boot sometimes. So a drunk driver and too many people in the car. No accidents or deaths in my entourage and we always got home safely and often as it happens slowly.

I was young and took risks, I am really starting to wonder how some of you went from childhood to middle age without some exicitment in your lives. The young are invincible and you can have as many campaigns as you want to protect the young, I hope we never take the 'spark" out of the young. We need them to have that reckless streak, and before anyone says it, yes we will lose some too, but it is the nature of life and living.

So why are some of you getting onto this young fella, he made a mistake, he told us all. It sounds like it rattled him too, he'll take what punishments the state throws at him and will get on with his life. I wish him luck.

The difference is though, Idun, that there were fewer vehicles on the road in your youth, and even fewer in mine. And cars weren't so powerful either, couldn't go so fast.

And what about the times before MOTs? I once drove an old van in a northern city which had literally no footbrakes - to slow down you could only go down through the gears and hang onto the handbrake for dear life. And another time ended up in the middle of  a roundabout in an MG midget with no brakes. But those days are over.

I agree though leave the OP alone he has admitted his fault and has paid for it.

Hi guys,

I'd like to say I didn't join this forum to start an argument between long standing members, only for some advice about a stupid thing I did.

I'd like to thank everyone who has taken the time and energy to respond to my post, be it positively towards me, or not.

It's reassuring to know not everyone thinks I'm evil for speeding. Even if it was by a massive amount. What I do know, for sure, is that I WILL NOT do it again when I am able to drive. I consider it a lesson learned. I'd like to thank the people who replied, and although not condoning my actions, didn't make me feel intimidated by their collective responses.

Perhaps I have appeared complacent. That was not my intention. In reality - I'm bricking it, still. I'm also not suggesting I can afford to write off any costs - this has seriously "skinted" me, and I've now put my own beloved classic car up for sale in the UK, in order to pay any further fine I'll be given. Im not looking for sympathy from anyone, before it is suggested. I'm just saying I'm not going to be uneffected by what has happened. If I knew I was going to have to sell my beloved car, and lose a fortune when I did it, I wouldn't have. I didn't know the French law - I didn't look it up.

My long suffering girlfriend is going to leave her part time job in the UK to come over here and drive for me whilst I'm under the ban. So it will effect us financially for the medium to long term future.

Thanks again to everyone here.

Best Regards,

MondeoMan.

At the end of the day these forums are full of knowledge but also full of a lot of people who cannot wait to jump on your back. Because they sit behind these tiny little screens and that the life they have.

Know I don't mean all of you and anyone that says anything negative to this post I probably mean you!

I was a complete idiot when I was younger on motorbikes and in cars but never got a ticket 'Through luck more than anything' Never caused a accident and was taken out twice on bikes by the sorry didn't see you brigade and flew some distance.

I'm sorry to say that I have always had a thing with speed but that doesn't mean to say I drive like a nutter, It sometimes puts a smile on my face and I know that if I get caught then I'm probably in trouble it goes with the territory does it not. Why buy a big bike with all that power if every now and again you see a stretch of quiet road and don't give it a bit more than usual. If your saying no, not me, never, then well I don't really believe you. I don't drive at a speed the OP certainly did but I have looked down at the speedo once or twice and thought blimey and backed off, Its easy to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I think its all about 'playing within the rules'.

Dangerous drivers exist everywhere. Have you ever been doing 130k/ph on a French toll road (dry weather conditions) and doing your best to assess the road ahead, when a fellow road user on the inside lane decides at 90k/ph, he is going to pull out in front of you?

Now who is the prat? Is this slower driver trying to 'police' the highway because he doesn't agree with the 'rules', and thinks you are going too fast? Or is he just a prat, a bad driver or both? Or maybe he just made a mistake?

I have to say that I have made the same mistake travelling at 130k/ph, checked my mirrors to pull out and overtake. By the time I have looked back in front of me and double-checked the mirros before making my move, some prat is up my arse doing 189k/ph or similar! It is easy to be caught out, especially by the motorcyclist who thinks they are Barry Sheen, and thinks we should all have his acute road 'sense'.

I remember on our last trip out, I checked my mirrors, and nothing. And then, from nowhere, Barry Sheen! Weaving from lane to lane, noisy exhaust, like a bloody Spitfire going past. Talk about butterflies in the stomache!

I think it is a matter for your own concience. An old boss of mine once said to me, "If it feels like its 'taking the piss', then it probably is"!

[quote user="nemltd"]

I remember on our last trip out, I checked my mirrors, and nothing. And then, from nowhere, Barry Sheen! Weaving from lane to lane, noisy exhaust, like a bloody Spitfire going past. Talk about butterflies in the stomache!

[/quote]

You should have heard him coming - that's what loud exhaust pipes are for!!   http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2434414/ShowPost.aspx

nemltd,

If you were doing 130kph and the bike 190 the closing speed is 60kph. To close one kilometer would take one minute. To close 200 metres would take 12 seconds. That's a long time in your mirrors!

The great thing about the autobahns is that people actually DO expect something coming up behind and look properly.

[quote user="JK"]nemltd, If you were doing 130kph and the bike 190 the closing speed is 60kph. To close one kilometer would take one minute. To close 200 metres would take 12 seconds. That's a long time in your mirrors! The great thing about the autobahns is that people actually DO expect something coming up behind and look properly.[/quote]

Not Jeremy Klarkson is it?!

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="nemltd"]

[/quote]

You should have heard him coming - that's what loud exhaust pipes are for!!   http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2434414/ShowPost.aspx

[/quote]

Pardon

Sorry only just got to this thread and have to comment.

Firstly speeding in restricted areas is dangerous and should be strictly punished - I have no doubt done it - not intentionally but driving 30k miles a year for 35 years I must have done.

Secondly motorway speed limits are nothing to do with safety.  Certainly not a blanket catch all limit.  Evidently driving at 80mph is dangerous in England but not in France.  Driving down to the South in July / August amid millions of other cars, 130km/h is hugely unsafe. 

Clear conditions, empty road, good car 150mph is not intrinsicly unsafe (it may be but it doesnt have to be).  My Porsche (when I had it) could stop in a dead straight line from 150mph, with my hands not even on the wheel, in less distance than my dad's Anglia from its maximum speed of about 68mph when the speed limit was first imposed. (Tested, courtesy of the Porsche Driving Experience at Millbrook).  Tyres dont necessarily explode (thats why they cost £400 each).

I have driven at 150mph and have been more awake and aware of surroundings than I know I have been driving home late at night mile after boring mile at 70/80mph.

I have been done for speeding 4 times in the past 35 years (well spread out so never more that 3 points at a time).  Each time I have received the points and the fine.  Each time I asked why I was not given the choice to go on a safety driving course instead of the points. Each time I was told I was speeding not driving unsafely.

There should be a place to legally go and try out your car for speed.  I have always said they should open up the M6 tollroad in good conditions to say 10 miles of unlimited speed - you go on it knowing this and can try out your car.