Would you buy a Renault Car ?

alittlebitfrench

We once bought a brand new Renault Scenic (in 2000) and it fell apart....quite quickly. It went to so many Renault garages across France to be fixed it was comical. Don't get me started about the 'Renault minute' oil change LOL.

I would say the customer service in these garages was actually worse than the car itself. Which is scary.

I notice that their cars are very expensive now. So have Renault improved or do they just now make expensive cars that still fall apart ? Guess customer service is still the same.

Thats an awkward one, over the years I have had an assortment of Renaults, a couple of  Ren14, a Ren11 and a couple of Ren20's neither gave me any real problems, the local Renault garage was always very helpfull if I needed any help I used to go direct to the workshop and the guys usually sorted it out for a few beer tokens in their lunch breaks. Daughter had a fairly recent clio diesel again not too bad but it had a few problems just before we off loaded it in part exchange. Were we lucky, maybe.

I think any make you buy has a few that are classed as Friday cars. Like many cars nowdays they are built down to a price and sometimes Renault have a reputation of being lets say spending a fair bit of time in the garage. I have always found Renaults comfy cars with good suspension. But don't get me started about modern cars being computer controlled and you can't really do anything except change oil and filters.

Back in the UK had the original Scenic, it was an excellent car, comfy and reliable, as have been my 3 Renaults.

When

we came to France (just overs 10 years ago), my experience of that

Scenic gave me confidence and I bought two Renaults. We bought two

nearly new diesel ones, my wife has a Twingo 2, which is 9 years old and

runs perfectly, although only done 40,000kms. It is very comfortable

for a small car. I am tall and I fit in the front seats easily (as long

as they are fully back!).

The other purchase was a Modus, and we owe

it our lives. What a lovely car it was, great to drive, very comfortable

and very economical. Never had a problem with it. Unfortunately we were

involved in an accident in which the car rolled over 3 times and

finished on the roof! Apart from a cracked windscreen, a broken

passenger window and a dent in the roof the shell of the Modus was

intact. We clambered out with a few cuts and bruises and unfortunately

my wife broke two bones in her hand. Thanks to that well built car we

are here to tell the tale.

So I would happily recommend a Renault.

Still driving my 2001 Scenic 1.9DCI 159000 miles, second cam belt, new disks and drum brakes and now it needs anti roll bar rubber bushes changing and the bottom swivel joints changing. Love the quick out seats converting almost into van proportions.

Switch gear more robust than the Volvo S40 which began to recycle itself before I finished with it!

Haven't bought a Renault in years, basically because when we moved to France they were a fortune.

What I would have had as a second car, IF they brought one out is a renewed, but very very utilitarian 4L, with just unpadded fabric seats and nothing at all fancy. But they won't..... sadly!

I have had Renaults when I was young, in fact my 12TS was the comfiest car I have ever had and went like the wind, did like that car.

For the time being we seem to be buying Citroens.

[quote user="crabtree"]Thanks to that well built car we

are here to tell the tale.[/quote]A tad OTT don't you think ?

Given the minor injuries you actually sustained to so much as hint that in another car you would have both lost your lives - which taken verbatim is what you are saying - is disingenuous in the extreme !

Truth is that without exactly recreating the crash in a selection of equivalent vehicles of the time you cannot possibly know what part that particular car played in preventing more serious injury nor how better or worse you might have fared in any other so while the tale may be of passing interest as an unqualified recommendation for Renault today it's relevance is slim at best.

Personally it would be a sorry and desperate day indeed when I bought a French car of any make !

"while the tale may be of passing interest as an unqualified recommendation for Renault today it's relevance is slim at best."

Similarly, I would have thought the fact that ALBF happened to buy a pup in the year 2000 is a bit slim as an unqualified condemnation of Renault today...

The simple answer for me is no. But, having owned various Ford, Renault,

Toyota, Vauxhall and VW vehicles over the past 45 years, I've only

bought Toyota for the past eighteen years (and now have two, one for thirteen years and the other for three).

But it rather depends on what sort of car you

want, what you expect to use it for, how much you want to pay in running

costs and repairs, how long you expect to keep the car, how reliable you want it to be etc.

There are plenty of analyses of car reliability, repair costs, etc. But the problem is they are all historical data and

give no real indication of how reliable a car bought today will be. But

the German TÜV reports - cars

reliability ratings which detail results for age of vehicles: 2-3 years,

4-5 years, 6-7 years, 8-9 years, 10-11 years are good in showing

possible trends. But, as with just about all analyses, they are by

vehicle type and do not give indication of the reliability of the same

model with different engines (e.g. comments in the press at the weekend about

specific Nissan Qashqai with the 1.2 Renault petrol turbo engine

problems).

All modern vehicles are incredibly strong in front, rear, side impact and rollover forces compared to older vehicles, its a result of the NCAP testing and EU requirements, the price we pay is how heavy they are and how most modern ones have tiny slits for side windows that make them resemble armoured vehicles.

Driving vehicles throuh the lycée workshops for the telethon a few years back was my only experience in a car newer than 2001 and I was completely dismayed by all of them, they were huge yet you could not move your knees or elbows one tiny bit (all good for crash protection) and there was a real disconnect between the controls and the road especially the steering.

Then i drove a cherished and looked after R5, it was a delight, a tiny car but easy to get in and out of because the cabin was not full of plastic cr@p, the door was light as a feather and closed without effort or slamming, you could see out of the window, you could rest your elbow out the window (not allowed now for roll over protection) you could move around and the lightness and connection of the controls was a dream especially the non assisted steering, it was the highlight of my day and made me determined not to go any newer and even to find an older vehicle and fit modern running gear.

and yet compared to other vehicles of the time they were cr@p [:D] I have been barrel rolled in one and I can tell you it wasnt the vehicle that saved me but the roll cage, harness and seat.

It would be a company car, and I swore I would never go near a Renault again...but I quite like the look of the new grand Scenic.

MY EXPERIENCES OF RENALT FRANCE...

- When we bought the car it had a default on the windscreen. We complained and they replaced the windscreen. Trouble is they did it so badly there was glue all over the place. It was a terrible job. Brand new to not so new.....in one week.

- Some weeks later, a women decided to crash into the back of the car. No problem (minor damage), but we still exchanged details. However, the number plate on our car did not correspond with the number on the Carte de Grise. Went back to Renault and they admitted they had put the wrong number plate on the car on the day we bought it. We had the number plate for a Renault Clio bought on the same day. Did they apologise and offer a free service....NO.

- A year later w had the car serviced at 'Renault Minute' in Montpellier. They decided to replace something that we did not want....but we still had to pay. Big argument.

THE BEST BIT......drove it back to Paris and then onto Chesterfield (we had to go there for some reason) and I parked it on a hill. On my return there was a big stream of oil running from it. The muppets in Montpellier had not tightened the drain plug up properly and had gradually unwound itself. Had it towed to Renault (my expense) and they did a check and filled it up with oil (my expense).

Complained to Renault customer services in France and they could not give a sh!t. Explained that there could be damage to the engine...they could not give a shît. So paid for a service (twice) and now had a car that could possibly have long term damage to the engine.

Broke down near Macon once. Got towed to the main Renault garage in Macon and the car was with them for TWO days. Finally collected it and paid. I drove it out the garage (just before lunch) and I could hear a noise from the car engine. Managed to find the chief mechanic (just off to lunch) who said it was fine. I said it was not but he was hungry and could not give a shît. We left.

Drove car to Nantes (from Macon) and the car suddenly had reduced power. managed to get to Nantes. Whet to Renault in Nantes and they could not give a shît we are too busy. Got it back to Lyon (half power) and they fixed it at OUR EXPENSE. He said they did not screw something back properly and you need to make a claim with the garage in Macon or Renault France. Phoned Renault in Macon and they could not give a shît.

Some time later, warning lights came up on dash board. Took it to a garage near Orleans who said the glow plugs needed replacing. They replaced them and we paid. Some years later a mechanic who was working on the car told us that the glow plugs have never been replaced since the car was made. We got shafted by Renault again.

Over the years a lot of work was done on the car which involved taking off the engine cover. With it being constantly taken off and put back it broke..... so we had it replaced. The guy said that 'piece' was actually on recall because it never fitted properly. Trouble was, the recall had expired so we had to pay. You would think that some garage over the years would have realised and replaced it.

W*******s

So I am not in love with Renault.

I think (writing this) I will give Renault a miss.

-

I had a new Renault 19 once.  Very pleased with it to start with but after the general euphoria of owning a new car had worn off I realised the performance was not great. Renault said 'It's just bedding in, it'll be fine after 5000 miles'.  Well it was a little better but was always disappointing and the fuel economy was rubbish.  Just before I traded it in (for a Ford) I noticed the front wheels were always hot after even a moderate run.  It was only later I discovered that there was a recall on that model of the 19 as the front brakes could stick on.  Explains a lot but what annoys me is that the car had been back to the dealer several times for servicing and they never cured a thing!

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="crabtree"]Thanks to that well built car we

are here to tell the tale.[/quote]A tad OTT don't you think ?

Given the minor injuries you actually sustained to so much as hint that in another car you would have both lost your lives - which taken verbatim is what you are saying - is disingenuous in the extreme !

Truth is that without exactly recreating the crash in a selection of equivalent vehicles of the time you cannot possibly know what part that particular car played in preventing more serious injury nor how better or worse you might have fared in any other so while the tale may be of passing interest as an unqualified recommendation for Renault today it's relevance is slim at best.

Personally it would be a sorry and desperate day indeed when I bought a French car of any make !

[/quote]

I was in the accident - you were not.

My view is that of a very qualified person, in my previous occupation I saw many such accidents in which the occupants lost their lives! In addition when the gendarmes and pompiers arrived at the scene of the accident they were quite surprised that it was my wife and I who had been the occupants of the vehicle! They had expected to find bodies inside.

If you wish to see the photos of the car I can let you have copies!!!!

You will also note that I did not make a comparison with any other vehicle, I just complimented the build quality of that vehicle.

I would never buy another Ford after my DIRE experiences with that company in France............ GRRRRRRRRRR

And yet I am told that they are good, but why would I trust them when they cost me so much time and money and lack of good will.

So I am VERY anti Ford.

What do you want?????

I love driving, but am not into cars, pay little attention to them... but I do rather like the look of the Quattroporto.... rather a smart looking car[:D]

ps would prefer it in an estate version.[Www]

@ Dept 71

We had experience with quite a lot of Renault garages across the whole of France and they were all not fit for purpose. It must be a Renault thing.

Since that awful car we have bought Skoda's (we gave the scenic away) and have not had one problem with their cars or their garages.

Better designed, better to drive, better built and faultless customer service.

Have Renault improved ?

[quote user="crabtree"]when the gendarmes and pompiers arrived at the scene of the accident they were quite surprised that it was my wife and I who had been the occupants of the vehicle! They had expected to find bodies inside.

If you wish to see the photos of the car I can let you have copies!!!![/quote]

Previously you said:[quote user="crabtree"]Apart from a cracked windscreen, a broken

intact.[/quote]

Are you now saying it was otherwise ?

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="crabtree"]when the gendarmes and pompiers arrived at the scene of the accident they were quite surprised that it was my wife and I who had been the occupants of the vehicle! They had expected to find bodies inside.

If you wish to see the photos of the car I can let you have copies!!!![/quote]

Previously you said:[quote user="crabtree"]Apart from a cracked windscreen, a broken

intact.[/quote]

Are you now saying it was otherwise ?

[/quote]

????

[quote user="crabtree"]My view is that of a very qualified person, in my previous occupation I saw many such accidents in which the occupants lost their lives! In addition when the gendarmes and pompiers arrived at the scene of the accident they were quite surprised that it was my wife and I who had been the occupants of the vehicle! They had expected to find bodies inside.
[/quote]

ANO can be excused for not knowing that you were a croque-mort and were driving a corbillard [:P]