Kettle de-scaler

tuppence

Just been in to our local supermarche (Carrefour market) to look for kettle descaler. Not there! So I asked at the desk if they sold it. Blank faces all round. Then one of the assistants said did I drink Cocal Cola. Yes said I, occasionally. Use that overnight to cover the element in the kettle and voila! it works. Not sure this is a money saving idea but it saves scouring supermarkets  for something the French obviously don't use!

tuppence

[quote user="tuppence"]

Just been in to our local supermarche (Carrefour market) to look for kettle descaler. Not there! So I asked at the desk if they sold it. Blank faces all round. Then one of the assistants said did I drink Cocal Cola. Yes said I, occasionally. Use that overnight to cover the element in the kettle and voila! it works. Not sure this is a money saving idea but it saves scouring supermarkets  for something the French obviously don't use!

tuppence

[/quote]

You might want to look for 'detartrant bouilloire'

or use white vinegar, probably the cheapest, most effective and non toxic treatment.

Danny

[quote user="tuppence"]Just been in to our local supermarche (Carrefour market) to look for kettle descaler. Not there! So I asked at the desk if they sold it. Blank faces all round.[/quote]

I am puzzled... What did you actually ask for? [:)]

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

or use white vinegar, probably the cheapest, most effective and non toxic treatment.

Danny

[/quote]

Agree - works really well.  It's the acetic acid in the vinegar acts on the calcium...cola contains phosphoric and carbonic acids which is why it works too.

Hi Clair, I actually asked for 'anitcalcair pour une bouilloire' my French wouldn't get me any further. Also in response to the post mentioning vinegar, I have used that as well and NO i don't re-use the croaka croala after its been in the kettle.[+o(]  Thing is, the coca-cola remedy doesn't last long. It needed doing again after a few days and I have a water softener ( if that's relevant).

thanks for the replies, I am in the UK for a day next week so will check out the supermarkets there.

tuppence 

Any chemists out there ? I have long argued that the safest way to drink coke is to create an ester (which is stable and non acidic, e.g. your polyester sheets).

The equation I use is that acid (Coke) + alcohol (Rum) will tend to ester (stable) + water

(source - schoolboy Chemistry last century)

So Coke is safer with Rum in !

John

thumbs up to white wine vinegar.. costs about 30c / litre...

Put it in your kettle... with some water if you think the price is too expensive...

Boil it and then leave it for a while...

(be careful as it can boil over in electric kettles)

after which you put the used liquid in another kettle and do the same again...

lastly.. wash it out a few times with water.. or even better forget and wait for someone to have a cuppa with the vinegar ;-)

Great minds think alike, Osie.  I, too, use the vinegar in one kettle and then re-use in another.  I have one electric and 2 hob kettles so the vinegar always gets used at least twice.

But, I don't half feel like a Scrooge (there's topical for you!)

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Great minds think alike, Osie.  I, too, use the vinegar in one kettle and then re-use in another.  I have one electric and 2 hob kettles so the vinegar always gets used at least twice.

But, I don't half feel like a Scrooge (there's topical for you!)

[/quote]

Another Scrooge chiming in.  I use the vinegar 1st in kettle, then in coffee-maker.  Just make sure to stay out of the steam!

Vinegar also works well on shower doors and tile in hard-water areas.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Clarkkent"]What I want to know is whether soaking old towels in vinegar will make them soft again.[/quote]

put vinegar in your final rinse instead of fabric softener keeps the machine clean and softens the clothes and they do not smell of vinegar honest !!!

also use citric acid in my appliances cheap and cheerful

coca cola is brill in the toilets as well !!!!!! and itr gets tar and oil stains off the driveway