Corned Beef

tinabee

so many different versions of  "corned beef hash " up and down the UK

this is the one we use

use a huge casserole dish, cube spuds, chop carrots and onions and cover it with water, season and add two oxo cubes if its a big pan. bring to boil and then put the lid on and simmer until the potatoes begin to fall - once its all cooked, I chop up a tin of corned beef and stir it in.

Then add some bisto to thicken it up - tis lovely like that or under a crust and makes a great filing for pasties too.

oh and brown sauce as well.

Personaly I put the tin in the fridge so you can slice it easier then put it under a yorkshire pudding [:D] its the best and makes a cheap meal when feeding lots

my mum always used to put it with onions in a suet pastry wrapped up in a cloth and boiled - not too healthy but very tasty.

Got mine at super U , two brands "Hereford" and "Lancaster" both Argentinian , as Judith said store them in the fridge before using it.

Super U never seam to have much stock of corned beef , it is usually near the tinned ham , (so not in the English section)

I make corned beef and onion individual pasties aand make my own pastry. I always make a large batch at the same time making my meat pies and then freeze them all.  Plus I also make cheese and onion pasties, always handy for any vegetarian friends.

IN 1962 I was 25 years old and went to workfor mypaint company in Trinidad.

It was too far to pop home at lunch time so my wife made me a sandwich which in the heat went soggy -whatever she tried -even withthe new plastic Tupperware containers.

One day she gave me a corned beef sandwhich wich tasted good and not as bad as any other types tried for 3 years I ate corned beef sandwhichs.

p.s.This is not a cock and bull story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!also great with chips!!!!!!!!!!!now that is another story.-and also the day our paint factory burnt down and the firemen played their hoses on the walls of an adjoining factory!!!!!!!!!!!when i asked why they said they could not save a paint factory but thought the Vat 19 rum factory should be protected at all costs.!!!!!!!!!!

They were right as a beer cost50cents while a bottle of decent rum cost only 1 dollar.!!!!!!!!!!!!![B]

It was no surprise that the number of illegitimate children 9 months after the carnival was due to the price of rum.!!!!!!!!!!

those were the days![kiss][Www]

no recession ,no clever bankers messing up your savings and no cold winters.[:)][:P]

[quote user="krusty"]

Got mine at super U , two brands "Hereford" and "Lancaster" both Argentinian...

[/quote]

I've never seen Lancaster brand, but Hereford brand is French.

The same factory produces the LeaderPrice own brand, but this is not as good as the Hereford one.  But then, who'd have thought corned beef merited such analysis? :-D

• 1 month later...

[quote user="Frenchie"]I'm French and in my family, we ve always used corned beef with mash [blink][/quote]

oooh yes, so do we. Melt the cornbeef in a pan with a little water, transfer to a serving dish, top with lots of buttery mash potato, put under a hot grill for a few minutes. Scrummy "cowherds" pie

[quote user="tinabee"]

Just spotted a tin of corned beef in the supermarket today for only €1.05 so I'll be making some corned beef hash this week and remembering my youth [:)]

Found a recipe here:

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/515023

[/quote]

Fab recipe, tinabee.

Nothing like the one my first husband's Welsh grandmother used to make every Saturday without fail.

As far as I remember, it had peeled spuds, onions, Oxo cube and one single tin of corned beef for 6 of us![:(]  I used to quite enjoy it, however, and always tried to scoop out as much of the corned beef as I could for myself!

Greedy and selfish? Yeah, that's me all right![:D]

I guess Sunday Driver is from the NE of England --mentioning stottie cake or do other parts of the uk use that word.

You can't beat a fresh hot piece of stottie cake with real butta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-I LIVED NEXT DOOR AS A LAD TO A BAKER AND A CHIP SHOP!!!!!!!!!!!WOW SOTTIE CHIP SANDWICH-MARVELOUS.

From an exciled bykerlad--THAT IS AN AREA OF NEWCASTLE AND NOT REFERRING TO THE MEN ON 2 WHEELS!!!!!!!!!1[:D][B]