Claiming RMI

Helmarion

Hi all,

further to my last posting of not being able to find work as a buider dept 50 i have been doing everything you kind people have suggested, i have now been told about claiming RMI does anyone know anything about this ? I have downloaded the forms fro Caf and wasn't sure if we are able to claim as self employed any advice greatly appreciated,

Thankyou Karen.

p.s we do have 2 children and claim child benefit in France and have carte de titre's.

Hello, go to your Marie for the forms first. I have started up as a gardener and the C.C.I have told me that the R.M.I is available for entreprenuers. I anticipate a lean hard winter so I thought I should get my claim in soon...

They may pawn you off and make you run to other offices like my marie did...gits...but they do have the documentation required. The Chambre de metiers/commerce are super for all the facts I find.

There was a thread some time ago in which someone wanted to set up a small business and they were told that they could claim RMI even though the person had quite a bit in savings put away in the bank!!!Also if I can remember rightly RMI is about 650/700 euro`s a month.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F11903.xhtml?&n=Emploi,%20travail&l=N5&n=Revenu%20minimum%20d'insertion%20(RMI)&l=N478&n=Allocation%20de%20revenu%20minimum%20d'insertion%20(RMI)&l=N11902

This is the french government site. It does say that foreigner should have been resident in France for five years before being eligible for this. I would assume that if one's other half was french then it would affect how they would view this rule.

It says at the bottom of the page derniere mise a jour Juilliet 2005.

The titre de sejours aren't obligitory for everyone, but on the titre de sejour page it does say that in some circumstances they can be required. And for the RMI it says they are which is fair enough.

There has always been a major divergence between French and U.K. social security policies.

The French take the reasonable view that economic migrants should be basically self-sufficient, hence the five-year rule. This was previously underlined by the Carte De Sejour requirements, which were reluctantly removed in line with EU harmonisation; Of course the rules still apply to people coming from outside the EU. The French expect the first reaction of unemployed migrants to be a return whence they came if they can no longer support themselves.

The ramifications of this policy were demonstrated at the time of the Channel tunnel refugee crisis. As far as the migrants were concerned they had little desire to stay in France due to the lack of benefits. As far as the French government was concerned they had little sympathy with the UK’s plight seeing it as a self-inflicted problem due to an over generous benefits system laxly implemented.

In the absence of RMI benefits there is much greater call upon charities to relieve extreme poverty: Secours Catholique, Restos etc etc

Those "lucky" enough to receive RMI are likely to find themselves directed to carry out unpopular work such as cleaning, fruit picking etc in order to prove their willingness to work

Now if they ever overcame the massive unemployment problems within France and found themselves short of labour things would probably change.

Strangely they never seem to cover any of this on the TV programmes………

[quote]Those "lucky" enough to receive RMI are likely to find themselves directed to carry out unpopular work such as cleaning, fruit picking etc in order to prove their willingness to work Just out of int...[/quote]

Well the few people we have known, that have been on the the RMI, have been given work by the commune. This was though, in a small commune in the Dordogne where there were jobs that were required to be done and to save money ! anyone receiving RMI were given the tasks of cleaning the streets, cutting the grass, looking after the flower beds etc etc.

Some we knew were offered jobs after a while, as they do not like to pay RMI for too long if possible. How "foreigners" will be seen if long time recipients, I wouldn't like to say but around here the chins would wag if it was known, that's for sure !!

Can't speak for anywhere else, as is normal, diferent communes in different depts, will do it completely different, one would suspect.

Maybe then you have to stand outside the local department store with a card begging  It is not like the UK were the beggars all look like druggies these people that I see in france with the card realy look decent folk who are down on there luck poor sods and before someone slags me off for calling british beggars. I used to have an off licence in the UK and speaking on a level with the "lads" I knew what they were up to?

Never heard about this two year max issue...

After a year on the RMI you have to go in and tell them why you haven't got a job yet.

We're on it, spent a few months living off savings then applied. We get about 600 Euro's for a family of three. Also get about 300 euros housing benefit.

I don't mind, being English, but I think it's a bit sad for the missus (who's French). It's not her fault there are no jobs, she always worked in the UK, started off in a bar in Wales and ended up as a logistics advisor in Manchester. Can't even get a job in the vines over here. Sad.

Good thing about the RMI is that you can keep it for a while after you finally get a job.

Do not wish to be rude Bones, but grape harvest hasn`t begun here in 66 and probably won`t for another 3 weeks at least...plenty of ads in the paper for pickers ready for the season, and no I won`t be applying , not with my back

Wish you and yours all the best...if your other half cannot get a job in her field(NO PUN INTENDED) havn`t the ASSEDIC offered retraining , I beleive this is usual practice.

Mrs O

It was a local guy who was meant to be looking for someone. The harvest (vendanges ) only lasts for a couple of weeks.

Sorry to be rude back but what exactly do you expect someone who is already 'qualified' to retrain in?? There are jobs in the missus's sector but she hasn't even heard back for an interview; she's asked the companies why they are not offering interviews and the answers have ranged from: 'We recruited internaly' to 'Well we ended up recruiting a bac+ 5 who speaks five languages for the cleaners post'.

People can talk about 'can do attitude' all they like, in the current economic climate it's a matter of patience and luck. We'll keep trying, if a half decent job comes up in any other area of France we'll move there, until then we'll hang on.

[quote]It was a local guy who was meant to be looking for someone. The harvest (vendanges ) only lasts for a couple of weeks. Sorry to be rude back but what exactly do you expect someone who is already 'qua...[/quote]

Oh how true Bones !

A few of us on here have been trying to convince people just how difficult it is going to be for so many British kids, when the time comes for them to go out to work. At a rough guess, we know of only a few who have gained good(ish) job since leaving Uni or a BTS course. We know of many that have gone back to the UK to gain employemnt, one of our sons included. He had a good BTS but a Bac on its own is not much cop these days ! Bac plus 2 gives a fighting chance but no guarantee.

Hope you can both gain good (or something fairly good at least) employment in the not too distant future.

It is time for France to wake up and relax the draconian employment rules as well as the set up and cotisations etc of going self employed. Let the freemarket have its head I reckon! How does an entrepreneur get going in this country !!!

Got the jist that RMI is a sort of dole/top up thing. I feebly gave up on the idea of self employment here but after signing up with a cleaning agency have now got some temporary regularish legit work. It's minimum salaire of course. I've been here a year. If I take me my partner and my best french to the local ASSEDIC office could I ask for RMI? Or is it more complcated than that?

Sorry if this has been asked many times before.

Thanks in advance. (should be able to afford the new distributer cap and leads for the Volvo soon)