Lintels

James2

Hi,

I am in the process of fitting a pair of french doors to the rear of my cottage, and I need a concrete lintel (linteau) to span the opening.

PontP, Reuseo Pro, Mr Bricolage  do not stock lintels,

So if anyone on the forum can help me to find a source in the Charente/Dordogne area (24) I would be a happy lad.

Regards Ray.

Hi

"Rector" manufacture concrete lintels, there is one in dept 33 and in dept 19, I am guessing 33 (Bordeaux) would be nearest for you. Alternatively as suggested cast your own, or use wooden lintels freely available. 

The nationwide franchise outfits, like Toute Faire stock lintels.

Simple to cast your own, as already suggested. Either galvanised channel or re-bar held in a wooden shutter and Bob's your Uncle.

Depends on the weight, of course. If it's a two storey building, or more, you may well require a small RSJ.

Spanning the depth of these thick French whilst retaining the aesthetics of the building has never been the easiest task.

Ladder framing (mentioned in the 'working with wood' thread) is one way.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01030.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01029.jpg[/IMG]

The builders (I'm not a builder) on the project were instructed to install 'sacrificial' lintels in the wall break throughs which were set back from the edges of the wall to allow the stone to be dressed up to the frame.

This particular frame has the sides left open and will be encased in the granite with just the 'show' surfaces exposed, others on the same project have panelled sides.

All green Oak (apart from the door), lightly 'carved' and sanded with flap discs, three coats of Oil have been applied which very much helps to slow down the too rapid a loss of moisture from the timber, preventing excessive movement, although in reality the timber won't move much as it's in an interior setting.

Get them chips a flyin' !

is it still allowed to use timber as a lintel ?

I think so - our builders just used some for some window openings they put in for us. I have also used them for french doors and other doors in the house, both with and without the above ladder frames.

However, on all the above, we have cast concrete lintels in the middle of the wall, with a beam visible on either side - a plank was laid horizontally on the doorway between the two oak beams and the reinforced concrete cast on top - props needed to stop the plank bending under the weight whilst the concrete dries. Our builder advised us to use a minimum depth of 150mm concrete.

Warren