fallen for a castle

Frenchie

I ve come across the ruins of a castle for sale in the Perigord , and I ve fallen in love with it.. just a dream I know..

Just would like to know if any of you has renovated such a place.. and if you ahd pics to make us dream..

Here is my dream wreck ..

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/e42bdca3231c821de547dc24c41dcf77.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/dreamcastle.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/chateauruines.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/chateauruines4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/chateauruines2.jpg[/IMG]

I find it such a shame when beautiful historical places like that fall into ruins...

I have a handsome house which needs a little work...but not a chateau.

I am not far from the Perigord Noir...2 hours I guesse.

I too am curious about the price.....any idea what it would cost to renovate.?
It looks like a Knights Templer sort of castle

It is gorgeous, I can't take my eyes off it...

It is on a 37 ha  property  .. Classé aux MH ( monuments Historiques)

Incontestablement aux yeux de nombreux historiens et d’amateurs, la « plus belle ruine du Périgord ».
Un énorme défi à relever pour les plus fervents amateurs de restaurations, ou plus simplement, l’opportunité de jouir d’un formidable « décor » à préserver au cœur d’une propriété aux indéniables atouts.

Prix de 1 800 000 à 2 500 000 €           The price is in these limits it seems..

Oh Frenchie, it's gorgeous!  I can quite understand the coup de coeur.  The exquisite detailing, the wonderful stonework, the unspoiled nature of the whole (OK it's falling down, but you know what I mean....[:)])  I'm a sucker for all things mediaeval, so if I ever win the lottery, I'll be right there with you.

[quote user="Panda"]I think Katie's right the price is way over the odds, you can pick up a chateau on the auction sites for much less than that.[/quote]

Very probably yes, but you have to consider the land that goes with it, 37 ha, and there are other houses on the land ..+ swimming pool + tennis courts etc

And I imagine it could be reduced..

ANyway.. I need to win the LOTO ..........

I know it is dear, I know it is silly, but I fell for this castle..

when you fall in love is it always sensible??

[quote user="KathyF"]Oh Frenchie, it's gorgeous!  I can quite understand the coup de coeur.  The exquisite detailing, the wonderful stonework, the unspoiled nature of the whole (OK it's falling down, but you know what I mean....[:)])  I'm a sucker for all things mediaeval, so if I ever win the lottery, I'll be right there with you.[/quote]

That's a deal !!

I feel exactly the same ... Fantastic place.. touched my heart, can't be explained..

If you travel to Vendée, have a visit to the Chateau de St Mesmin, it is gorgeous!

What an absolutely stunning property. I LOVE it!

That fire place and the vaulted ceiling are amazing.  Do you know any of the history Frenchie? What family owned it etc. Why hasn't the Government or the dept that deals with MH stepped in to stop the decay of such a fabulous building?

In the UK there has been a TV series called 'Restoration' highlighting such properties around the UK - the public phoned in each week and voted for their favourite and at the end of the series the winning property was restored.  France could do with a similar emission.

This is all I know about it...

Imposantes ruines d’un château médiéval dominant une propriété de plaisance sur 37ha

Situation
En Périgord Noir, au cœur d’une campagne au relief vallonné, ponctué d’étendues de bois denses aux essences variées. Une situation paisible, privilégiée, légèrement en retrait des turbulences touristiques de l’une des régions les plus appréciées de France.
Pourtant une réelle proximité permettant aussi de profiter de l’exceptionnelle richesse offerte par son patrimoine historique, architectural et gastronomique.
La vallée de la Dordogne, les joyaux médiévaux et les sites préhistoriques de renommée mondiale ne sont qu’à quelques kilomètres.

Description
Au sommet d’une colline offrant un panorama exaltant sur la nature environnante et les paysages plus lointains, les vestiges d’un imposant château inscrit M.H. des 13ème et 14ème siècles veillent sur leur fief largement boisé de 37 hectares environ dans la vallée.
Défendu par une double enceinte, le monument demeure d’une saisissante esthétique architecturale malgré les ravages de l’histoire et du temps : châtelet d’entrée, tours, donjon, corps de logis, écuries, grange, communs, citerne et pigeonnier pour la partie plus ancienne ; aile néo-gothique avec plusieurs salles de logis et chapelle, pour la partie annexée au cours du 19ème siècle.
Un peu partout la nature à repris ses droits mais semble presque magnifier les remarquables éléments solidement préservés : créneaux, chemin de ronde, mâchicoulis, voûte à croisées d’ogives, escaliers en vis, baies gothiques, portes flamboyantes, cheminée monumentale, moulures, meneaux, caves, galerie de fuite, fontaine…
En contrebas, une propriété de plaisance rigoureusement entretenue permet de profiter d’un bel environnement porté par l’incomparable agrément d’un immuable passé : une grande périgourdine avec sa grange attenante en retour d’équerre, maison de gardiens, parc, piscine, tennis, et petite écurie.
À l’écart, un moulin avec grange, borie dans le jardin et bief à proximité d’un cours d’eau poissonneux de 1ère catégorie.
À l’opposé, une maison d’amis et sa dépendance au milieu des bois, avec accès privatif.

Ce que nous en pensons
Incontestablement aux yeux de nombreux historiens et d’amateurs, la « plus belle ruine du Périgord ».
Un énorme défi à relever pour les plus fervents amateurs de restaurations, ou plus simplement, l’opportunité de jouir d’un formidable « décor » à préserver au cœur d’une propriété aux indéniables atouts.

[quote user="Lisleoise"]What an absolutely stunning property. I LOVE it!

That fire place and the vaulted ceiling are amazing.  Do you know any of the history Frenchie? What family owned it etc. Why hasn't the Government or the dept that deals with MH stepped in to stop the decay of such a fabulous building?

In the UK there has been a TV series called 'Restoration' highlighting such properties around the UK - the public phoned in each week and voted for their favourite and at the end of the series the winning property was restored.  France could do with a similar emission.
[/quote]

You are right 100% ...

Yes, that picture is stunning isn't it?

When I saw that castle I thought it was a crime to let it fall to decay..

How is that possible??

With about 10million spare(and probably never to be seen again)  it might be worth it but then again with 10 million there are probably better options.

37h is nice but who will cut the grass, or leave it a few years and it will be a ruin in the middle of the jungle.