costs of owning a french property

My apologies if this question has been asked before  ,

can anyone give me a list of the various outgoings that I would incur if  I owned a property in France . I am thinking of buying now whilst there may still be  a bargain or two left  as its impossible to buy anything in the UK .

1 -In GB we have the council tax bill based on two people .What is the French  equivalent , does it depend on the region  is there a scale ? . WHATS THE BEST WAY TO CHECK WHAT I MAY PAY WHILST BROWSING AT VARIOUS PROPERTY..

2 Water  /  do they have meters and mains as we do  ,  whats the charges ?

3-What other charges do they hit you with .

4- IF I bought a do up with a bit of land but didn’t finish the house for a year or two ,  would I have to pay anything on it as a council tax ,  if it had a bit of land would I pay for that as a tax as well WHILST NOBODY WAS IN THE HOUSE AS IT WAS BEING RENOVATED . Hope somebody has the answers , don’t be shy help a novice out ,

Many thanks 

THINKING FRENCH FUTURE

1.  There are two taxes for houses.     Taxe foncière (owner tax).    Taxe d'habitation (occupier tax).   Ask the agent immobilier if the previous owner will tell you what they paid.   Yours won't be exactly the same, but it will give you an idea, because they range from almost nothing a year to over 1000 euros a year, depending on area.

2.  Water.   Ask when you're looking at the house.   It may have a source of free water, but not necessarily potable.   Mains water is likely to be metered, and charges vary around the country.

Do a search of this Forum.  The cost of living etc has been covered many times,.  Then look at Taxe fonciere and taxe habitation,. A lot of the answers to your questions are already here in threads linked to those topics,  go here for a start

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1170453/ShowPost.aspx

When you have looked at all the threads, feel free come back with specific questions.  However, if you are thinking of retiring here look at the Health issues topics as there are now rules about what you need to have to live in France.  Good Luck!

As well as the good suggestions above, there are a number of publications available in good UK bookshops.

'Buying a Home in France' and 'Living and Working in France', both by David Hampshire and published by Survival Books are probably as good as any. Around £12 each.

Inevitably, there's some out-of-date and inaccurate information, but they should give you a lot of what you need as a starting point. 

Don't forget the cost of buildings insurance which is compulsory in France and also the standing charges for utilities.

One of the two property taxes (can't remember whether it is habitation or fonciere) isn't payable if the house is certified by the Maire of your commune as uninhabitable during renovation, but if you stay in it while doing the work you have to pay all the taxes.

We have found that the two taxes in France, for our property, are much lower than our UK property - about £450 compared with nearly £1,500.

Our property has a water meter and the cost seems very reasnable, again compared with the UK.

Our property, at present is a holiday home, and will be for a few more years due to changes in health regulations.

If your property is to be a holiday home then if you just have heating set for when it gets very cold, i.e. a frost stat then heating should not be very expensive.

A big cost will come in visiting the property. The so called cheap airline can be expensive at times - pays to book well in advance and avoid times such as Xmas and New Year. Plus you have car hire on top which has got more expensive.

We find that a trip of a week or more is cheaper to drive, even though it is 750 miles. We do have a dog so taking her with us (which she loves) removes kennelling costs.

However, it is a different way of life in France so you must make a credit for that.

Paul

[quote user="Pickles"]Taxe Fonciere and taxe d'habitation amounts depend very much on where you are: in cities you can end up paying in excess of 1200 € for each tax.
[/quote]

We live just outside a small town and pay approx 600€ for each tax - but the taxe d'hab does include the TV licence!

Sue

apparantly they work out the tax fonc and tax d hab on the rental value of the house, mine is like 1400 euro a year for a 70m2 house in a hamlet, well 70m2 is a small house compared to all the others around my  hamlet, and the others pay about 300euros, but i did fill out the H1 form 2 years ago, and before that it was 110 euro for both taxes, so best you dont fill one out if you ask me

We also pay for dustbin services-155 euros,then standing phone charges-32 eu for 2 months.water charges and supply-about 200 eu,standing charge for elec.but this depends on the supply kilowattage-the higher the supply,the more ya pays. car insurance aprox the uk amount but no car tax for the average car.MOT (equivalent) every 2 years-55euros.

Income tax if resident.In fact, sorting out papers last night we found old bills for utilities and council tax uk 2002.not a great deal of different to what I am paying here--BUT using the 2002 figures.These have obviously increased a great deal-but we did have services/facilities.here we have no facilities in the semi rurals,apart from yearly ditch gouging to take away surface water.I wouldnt say the cost savings are anything to make such a major decision about. Then of course,there is the ongoing health debate,not exactly cheap,unless you are blessed with exceptional good health.    Maude