Taxe d'habitation shock

mousketeer

I've always paid mine since I moved in 1997.  It is not based on income it is set by the commune where you live and as I understand it based on the size of the property, or the number of rooms or indeed windows (lots of urban myths on this one)  And now it includes the redevance télé, merci M. Sarkozy, I don't have one and had to declare not having one...!

Mousketeer,

Have a look at this thread here on a Riviera forum, there's a load of stuff about taxe d'hab that might be interesting.  I've only looked at the first page, but someone's put a few links to more information:

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=4&topic_ID=31571&forum_ID=7&cat_ID=2&topic_Title=Tax+Fonciere+and+Habitation

I'd been told too that it was based on income, but from what I can find out (not much so far!), both taxe foncieres and taxe d'hab are based on something called the rental value of the property, so they'll vary from area to area, depending on amenities, tourism, commuting distance, etc.   The taxe d'hab is calculated according to number of occupants of the property, among other things.

Happy researching, and let us know if you find an answer.  

Taxe d'habitation is NOT based on income. It is based on the rental value of the property (valeur locative).
It is payable by any person who resides in a property with a rental value that exceeds €4600 (2003-4 figures) in France on 1st January, whether that person is the owner, tenant or rent free occupier.

It is roughly - and I stress the word roughly - similar to the rates system that we had in the Uk prior to the Council Tax implementation.

[quote]Taxe d'habitation is NOT based on income. It is based on the rental value of the property (valeur locative). It is payable by any person who resides in a property with a rental value that exceeds €460...[/quote]

You are right, it is not based on income BUT those on low incomes will pay less or nothing at all.

Excuse the translation of the following from "Dossier Familiale", which is well known to residents in France

The taxe d'habitation drops as of this year. And its amount will be limited for the modest families.

Two great changes in the law reforming the taxe d'habitation: it removes the regional share of the tax; it founds a mechanism of levelling off according to the income. Only one thing does not change, alas: the calculation of the reduction that takes place there is always also complicated!

A reduction on average d'impôt of 235F by family.

Who is exonerated?

Certain people are exonerated from the tax (for the main home): those with low incomes and those which live difficult situations.

• people of more than 60 years to the income 1999 lower than 44110F for the 1ére share, more 11790F for each ½ additional share;
  • The veuf(ve) whose incomes do not n?excèdent these limits;
  • Sick or crippled people and holders of l?allocation to the adults handicapped with the incomes lower than these limits;

RMI istes and those which perceive additional l'allocation versed by the mutual aid funds old age or the bottom of invalidity.

Don't forget, all this is only for those resident in France and not those with maison secondaires, who in fact often pay more !! 

No its not being abolished and we have already set our increases here for this commune ready for next year with second home owners paying a higher percentage as they don't contribute hardly anything into the commune. There is no reduction for second homes if you are not a full time resident in France with regular tax returns each year.

There are also few if any restrictions on how much the tax can increase .Tf1 news featured a town in the Nord where the tax had increased as an example from 500 euros to 1600 euros in one go. With these huge increases the locals were being forced to borrow to pay next month!

[quote]Taxe d'habitation is NOT based on income. It is based on the rental value of the property (valeur locative). It is payable by any person who resides in a property with a rental value that exceeds €460...[/quote]

Interesting... I have never had a bill for my Tax d'habitation -  I've asked at the Mairie, the Tresor Public and I've written to somebody (I think it was the impots but I haven't got the letter to hand).  I even tried to pay it on-line despite not having been sent a bill. I wonder if they think the rentable value of my place is too low?????

John, we didn,t receive our bills for 2 and a half yrs, kept going to the Tresor Public, le Bureau de impots. Apparently they were being sent to our old address in England. Finally the woman at the Tresor Public phoned a..friend..at the bureau des impots and we were told not to worry they were on their way. We received them ( tax d,habitation and tax foncieres )properly for the first time this yr. Mind you, we didn,t have to pay the first yrs tax, something to do with the time of year we bought the house.

Janey

Would you "Adam & Eve" it, the bill was on the mat when I gort home last night. Just for this year no arrears or anything, I expect they will catch up soon . I am quite relieved that they've found me now rather than in a few years times, when the arrears would be astronomical but, being a hypocrite I had a good grumble about it last night.

Hi Belinda,

No, at the moment mine is just for holidays, but I got it at about the same time as you (October 2001). The bill I have just had (moan moan moan... OK, sigh of relief) is a tad more than you...197€ (T'other one [that I can't remember how to spell] was 202€).