!!!

Jackie

Anyone else see this in the Expat Bulletin and do a double take? For us in Deux Sevres try multiplying d'habitation by 2.6, water by 2, foncière by 2 and bin collection by 3.8 or are we not typical?..............J

"Here is what you are paying for in France: taxe d'habitation is €25.66 per month, which includes the TV licence, water costs are €16.26, electricity in a house which has no gas is €71 per month, taxe foncière is €31 per month, and €4 a month is all it costs you to have your bins collected every week."

Whatever it is, they should clarify where they live and what size home they live in.  I would be shocked to find ANYWHERE in Provence with numbers like this.  These are the types of articles that many people read and believe hold true for all of France. 

[quote user="cooperlola"]Typically daft article (although my taxe d'hab, fonciere and water bills are in fact less than those quoted, although the electricity is more -but I have electric heating).  Like the UK - it depends where you live. [/quote]

If they've found one case where this is true, surely it must be universally true ? [8-)]

These figures were for couple living in a village 50kms south east of Toulouse. I wonder if there is a site to look at which would indicate how much we should be paying for d'habitation and foncière. I know we had to fill in an H1 form when we had a pool put in and again when the veranda was added and after each of these events one of these two taxes went up quite a lot. Maybe we are victims of being too honest!.....................J

You're all right, it depends where you live in France. 

They are suggesting:

Taxe d'hab 25.66  we pay 25 euros

water 16.56, we pay  30 euros

electricity 71, we pay 100 euros

Fonciere 31, we pay 30

Ordures 4, we pay 3 euros

We also happen to run a B&B so our electricity, and water are much higher than if we didn't have 4 rooms using all that power and water for 6 months a year, oter than that, our payments are marginally less than they are suggesting.

I know we live in a much cheaper part of France than others.  But then we do have to put up with the rain!!!!

Crikey!!! That is cheap. We live in the middle of nowhere and thought (most, exc. electricity*) of our costs were low:

THab: €301+116 redevance audiovisuelle = €417 total

water: ca. €15/month (but that was before they put in the mains drainage, which should be completed soon)

electricity: ca. €140/month

ordures ménagères: €8.5/month

So, our THab (inc TV) is 40% more, water about the same (but there are costs for the fosse septique which, presumably, must apply to the quoted figure), electricity and rubbish double (we have no TFon).

*Usually only the two of us in a 4 bed 2 recep but we have several "pet" PCs, as well as electric heating/climatisation.

[edit: decided 40% is a bit nearer the mark than 50%]

where exactly is the "expat bulletin" showing the !!! simbols, is it on the living france website or is it on another website, i understand now because ive clicked the link to the telegraph article about france spain australia being cheaper places to live