Tax Foncieres.

ams

Hi!

The basic figure is the "valeur locative" of you house.

The reckoning of that is rather old, and was supposed to be reformed ( since over 20 years ). In fact the matter is quite complex, if the local Commune os to cash the same financing.

It depends on your land, the surface of the house, all the amenities ( such as taps, baths, showers, wc , etc. etc.).

In practice there is no way to check this - they even pretend, that 2 local tax people, will come to different results, with the same data.

Yours,

giantpanda

Thanks for the information. The reason I asked is that one of our properties is now over 3 years old and this is the first tax bill received for it. The "valeur locative" is higher than the monthly rent, so i thought it may be possible to have it reduced to the actual monthly rent. I think i will go into the tax office tomorrow and have a chat. based upon what you have said, it should be interesting.

Thanks again,

ams

We've just had a phone-call from the UK and it seems our bill has been sent to our previous address.

I understand from a previous post of Clair's that it is possible to view this on-line. I can't find the link though. Can someone point us in the right direction please?

[quote user="gosub"]http://www.impots.gouv.fr/portal/dgi/home?pageId=home&sfid=00[/quote]

Is it possible to view the bills for the Taxe Foncieres and d'Habitation online if you're not a French resident (i.e., don't pay income tax in France and therefore don't have an online account for that)?

It may just be my limited language skills, but I don't see a way to set up an online impots account for those of us who have only maisons secondaires.

Hi!

If you do not tell them your new address, then this will happen. Your are lucky that you were advised.

Best go on the Internet site of the mairie, look for " déménagement ".

With your Taxe Foncière and Taxe d'Habitation number, notify the change of address where is should be sent to.

Yours,

giantpanda

"With your Taxe Foncière and Taxe d'Habitation number, notify the change of address where is (sic) should be sent to"

assuming that meant where the payment is to be sent to ...which is usually the local Tresor Public office who will almost certainly NOT change your address on their records even if they take a note of it as many of us have found. 

The actual place to notify of a change of address for bills etc where it will be recorded and actioned is the local Centre d'impots (tax office).

Thanks again all for the information and advice.

OH did go down to our local tax office yesterday afternoon. He spoke to someone in the section that deals with the taxe fonciere and they amended their records to show our new address. The taxe d'habitation section was on another floor in the same building and he spoke to someone there as well and they have amended their records.

Hopefully that has sorted things out.[:)]

• 3 weeks later...

Blimey it has gone up another 25% since I first read your (pre-edited) post! I am, or rather was, in a similar situation, almost certainly the property was undervalued before you filled in the form H1.

The base is set by the valeur locative for your commune and will have increased by 1.6% from last year automatically, the remainder is the difference in habitable area and confort as declared on your form H1 to that previously declared, I am no expert but I dont think that a swimming pool alone will increase it by this amount, you should visit your hôtel des impôts and ask them to explain it to you.

In my case they recommended that I fill in H1 as I was still paying TF on commercial usage and that it would now be cheaper, except that after doing so I found that the previous owners had only declared 36m2 habitable instead of the now 280m2.

I tried in vain to retract the form H1 but to no avail, after that I kept going back and hassling them over details such as the condition of the property, level of confort, why heating in one small area should affect a much larger habitable area etc and lots of other (to them) irrelevant details. I speak and understand French very well but in this case I played it down which made the discussions much longer and difficult than necessary.

I thought that it may have worked when on my last visit the harrassed official told me that "my dossier had been lost" (where have I heard that before) and lo and behold this years base de cotisation is unchanged (except for the 1.6%) for taxes foncieres, I now await with some confidence the tax d'habitation facture. [:D]

OK. Just done the Hotel d'Impot.

You're right JR.

The difference is because the previous H1 was done in 1970 and made no mention of anything we currently have. i.e the had 1 toilet and lived in one habitable room. We filled in an H1 last year as they wanted to know about the swimming pool. Like the complete idiots we are we filled the form in to the best of our ability...hence the 175% rise in cost.

Lesson to be learnt for all those brits buying houses where the Immobiler says the Tax Fonciere is "only" €150.... make sure that the H1 matches what you've currently got in your house. Otherwise you will be in a for a nasty shock.

I know it's a generalisation, but the french seem to make a national past time out of avoiding paying the correct taxes, then winge like hell when someone else trys the same.

When you try and be honest... you get screwed.

[quote user="crazyfrog"]

OK. Just done the Hotel d'Impot.

You're right JR.

The difference is because the previous H1 was done in 1970 and made no mention of anything we currently have. i.e the had 1 toilet and lived in one habitable room. We filled in an H1 last year as they wanted to know about the swimming pool. Like the complete idiots we are we filled the form in to the best of our ability...hence the 175% rise in cost.

Lesson to be learnt for all those brits buying houses where the Immobiler says the Tax Fonciere is "only" €150.... make sure that the H1 matches what you've currently got in your house. Otherwise you will be in a for a nasty shock.

I know it's a generalisation, but the french seem to make a national past time out of avoiding paying the correct taxes, then winge like hell when someone else trys the same.

When you try and be honest... you get screwed.

[/quote]

Blimey you dont hang about do you!

It gives me no pleasure to be proved right, the only positive side is that you have got away without paying the real figure for a few years albeit unconsciously.

I know what you mean about feeling like an idiot but there is a difference between allowing a situation to continue that we may or may not know about and telling lies on an H1, you have done the right thing.

It does surprise me though when people on this forum encourage others to make a declaration because if not "you will be in trouble when you come to sell", perfect tosh in both of our cases in fact the low taxes made the properties seem even more attractive.

I am firmly with the French on this one and on all matters generally pertaining to taxation [6]

further to the above...

Went to see the mayor and asked if he thought it was right.  He said definately a definate no and we should go and some bloke at the tax office who had something to do with valuing the properties in the village. Even the mayor didn't understand all the bumf the hotel d'impot had given us and how it was calculated. Basically we have a base of 2245, which was 335 last year. about 7times more.

So .. watch this space.

• 3 weeks later...

further ... further to the above

had a note from the impot who "Apres un examen attentif....." have reduced the amount to 741.

So it does help a bit if you can argue your case.  This is still to high mind you, so we're going back to see them armed with drawings/photos and a friend who is good at arguing the toss. So hopefully we can get them to agree to a further reduction.

• 1 month later...