Up yours AXA!!!

Chancer

I have been threatening to change insurers for several years being fed up with the way that my agent ignores La loi chatel and sends out my renewals the day before the date d'echéance, Ernie Y reckons that this may be a group wide policy but in any case I dont trust my agent one bit.

So today I bit the bullet and fired off 3 letters of resiliation, the car one 30 days after the date d'echéance, one building policy due tomorrow (no sign yet of the letter) and another due in 3 months.

Not exactly an easy or cheap procedure with photocopies costing 20c each in my town and nearly €5 for la lettre recommandée avec accusé de reception, I put all 3 in the same letter but I expect that I should have paid for each one. 

I am sure that the real problems have not yet begun.

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]being fed up with the way that my agent ignores La loi chatel and sends out my renewals the day before the date d'echéance,[/quote]

As I have said before, the Loi Chatel enables you to cancel your insurance up to 20 days from the date postmarked on the envelope, so it matters not a jot when the agent sends it out.[:D]

[quote user="Maricopa"]

As I have said before, the Loi Chatel enables you to cancel your insurance up to 20 days from the date postmarked on the envelope, so it matters not a jot when the agent sends it out.[/quote]

Just remember to send the envelope containing the renewal notice with your cancellation letter. It seemingly matters not a jot that you might have inadvertently ripped the envelope in two and put it in the waste bin - as I did - you can always fish it out, wipe it down and sellotape it back together before enclosing it with your cancellation letter - which is also what I did. And it worked!

Sue [:)]

I remember AXA, they're the people who still haven't sent the final report for the expert who visited my place 3 times in 2005 after we were flooded, insisted we looked at a possible vice cache against the previous owners, haven't yet done anything to finalise the claim, wont let us even submit a claim for the damaged books and clothes until the expert's report is received and don't even respond at all to emails and 'phone calls.

Now let me see, did we stay with them for all our insurances, home, cars, etc etc ...............

Go figure ;)

[quote user="Maricopa"]

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]being fed up with the way that my agent ignores La loi chatel and sends out my renewals the day before the date d'echéance,[/quote]

As I have said before, the Loi Chatel enables you to cancel your insurance up to 20 days from the date postmarked on the envelope, so it matters not a jot when the agent sends it out.[:D]

[/quote]

I strongly disagree Maricopa, it matters more than a jot to me that my insurance company/agent respect the law brought in to protect the consumer.

The law requires (art L 136-1) that the insurer informs the insured of the renewal premium and the rights of cancellation at the earliest 3 months and at the latest one month before the renewal date. Failure to do this allows the insured to cancel at any time from the renewal date.

The 20 days that you quote is what the insurer must inform you if the renewal is sent out less than 15 days before, or after the renewal, if this is not done the insured can cancel at any time after the renewal date.

If you were to be correct regarding the 20 days, or if the insurer had informed me of my rights to this 20 days (they keep back that portion in the office) then it would be already too late for me cancel.

I am sure that they will probably try to enforce this so things will get interesting.

Sue

I have kept the envelope as I would not trust them with it and may need it later I did not even mention when it was sent etc, it is not necessary to send it but I agree under normal circumstances it would be sensible to do so.

[quote user="J.R gone native"]

Sue

I have kept the envelope as I would not trust them with it and may need it later I did not even mention when it was sent etc, it is not necessary to send it but I agree under normal circumstances it would be sensible to do so.[/quote]

I made a copy of the envelope together with a copy of the letter récommendée I sent them, and the envelope they were both sent in - just in case. As it turned out the copies weren't needed; but you never know, better to be safe than sorry.

Sue

We were advised by our new insurance brokers to use the letter of resiliation as the envelope and fold it and sellotape it, put the address on the outside and post it like that recommande.  The old insurance company cannot then claim that the envelope was empty!!

Sneaky eh?!

Suey

[quote user="sueyh"]We were advised by our new insurance brokers to use the letter of resiliation as the envelope and fold it and sellotape it, put the address on the outside and post it like that recommande.  The old insurance company cannot then claim that the envelope was empty!!

Sneaky eh?![/quote]

During a dispute with an internet service provider, I was given exactly the same advice by the lady who runs the local post office.  She said that the "empty envelope" story is a common technique in France.

As I believe I have posted before, it's a sad commentary on French business ethics.

[quote user="sueyh"]

We were advised by our new insurance brokers to use the letter of resiliation as the envelope and fold it and sellotape it, put the address on the outside and post it like that recommande.  The old insurance company cannot then claim that the envelope was empty!!

[/quote]

This is exactly what the agent of my OH's new mutuelle did with her company's proforma cancellation letter which OH signed and the agent sent 'recommendé' to the old mutuelle - though no need for selloptape as the proforma letter was pre-gummed around the edges.

Sue [:)].

What I like is the attitude when you do cancel. Went to my old agent and asked if he could look at my car and house insurance as I seemed to be paying a lot more than other people I know. He tapped away on the old keyboard and came up with about 10 Euros less than I was paying. I told him that it was not good enough and produced a list from an Internet comparison site and told him that in which case I was taking my business elsewhere. He didn't say a word, did the French shoulder shrug thing, didn't even say something like leave it with me. I saved about 300 Euros a year by moving my insurance and am well pleased... till I have to claim that is, bet that will be fun.

Its the same with banks. You go in and tell them to transfer your money to another bank and close your accounts and there is no reaction what so ever. They don't even roll the manager out for a chat to find out why. In short they just don't care. I suppose the thinking is that one leaves and another joins.

We left Axa a few months ago, mainly because the agent was so rude and unhelpful. Called husband an escroc. I think he thought I didn't understand what he was saying to his colleague.

Our new insurers took care of the cancellations, and gave us better deals and even refunds.

Having said that, the new agent has made a few mistakes, eg has us down as locataires instead of proprietaires. We should have checked the policy more carefully.

When we took over the insurance on our house from the previous owners of the house we discovered that the property assured was actually their address in Kent!!  They or their insurer had inadvertently put in the wrong information!  I do wonder what would have happened if they had had to claim!

Suey

This all sounds terribly familiar. During our short time with AXA we made two claims. Reaction was - go away, don't bother us, you're not covered. In the first case this was true - due to the negligence of the agent [an alcoholic who later killed himself]. In the second case it was only by poring minutely over the policy that we found that we were in fact covered, if only partly. Couldn't have been less helpful. Needless to say we changed.

I was canvassed in the UK by an agent for AXA - I felt like giving him the benefit of my previous experience with said insurer, but instead just told him what he could do with his insurance.

Patrick

Looks like I chose a good title for the thread then!

Regarding writing the resiliation letter on the outside of the envelope I can see where they are coming from but where do you draw the line? You would also have to photocopy the envelope but unless you can do that after the recomandée is attached what is to stop you keeping it and posting an empty envelope?

I got my avis de recomandée returned to me today, it even had an AXA stamp on it, but after having once been to the "AXA Tour un" in La Defense to help with some English lessons and seeing the size of the place and the general air of incompetence I very much doubt that my three letters of resiliation have actually been processed.

My agent however is still waiting since Jan 1st for me to pay my renewal, he hasnt chased me yet, I need him to give me a reléve d'information (proof of bonus) very soon, I wonder whether he or I wil crack first?

[quote user="JR"]You would also have to photocopy the envelope but unless you can do that after the recomandée is attached what is to stop you keeping it and posting an empty envelope?[/quote]From what the post office lady told me, I think the point is that your letter in their file will have the post office sticker on it, matching the avis de réception which you can produce if necessary.

It won't ensure that anybody actually reads your letter or reacts to it, but for instance if you were required to give notice under a contract, you will be able to prove that you did so, and on what date. 

I suppose, if they were really evil, they could destroy your letter and then say "oh yes, we received an empty envelope but we've lost it" - but that would be such an admission of incompetence that I hope nobody would try it.

Puzzled.

Without knowing anything about your problem other than you are waiting for some form of reimbursements it is difficult to aswer your questions.

It is interesting to note that nobody yet has posted saying that they are happy with AXA, normally there as as many fors as againsts.

Puzzled, write again if you feel moved to do so but if you do, you'll just start getting wound-up again.  You must come to terms with the fact that AXA and their agents here, as friends have also found out - incidentally Aviva is just as bad from the experience of one local Brit family - seem to be a law unto themselves who just seem to be protecting their own pockets, especially at the agent level.

This is France and the more you write to AXA/Judicaire in my experience, the less chance you have of getting a reply.

Conversely, we've just had a problem caused by a faulty fitting in our loft, originally installed by Captain Leaky, our friendly local artisan registered Brit plumber which was dealt with very speedily and very efficiently by our local CA/.Pacifica people, all done and dusted and within 3.5 weeks, first tranche of money has arrived.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"] <snip> Conversely, we've just had a problem caused by a faulty fitting in our loft ... which was dealt with very speedily and very efficiently by our local CA/.Pacifica people, [/quote]

Also:  "J.R's gone native" <snip> It is interesting to note that nobody yet has posted saying that they are happy with AXA, normally there as as many 'fors' as 'againsts'.

We've had 2 claims, both minor:

1.  For vandalism. Settled quickly and efficiently by CA.

2. For leaks.  Settled by Axa, but handled in a generally unhelpful and obstructive way, e.g. insisting on sending the same expert to view the damage (which was minor) twice.  The second time, he didn't know what he was there for either, so we had a chat and sent him on his way ...

Amicalement

Craig

SO WHAT YOU LOT ARE SAYING is you are not aloud to change your home insurance company or it is difficult to change home insurance, in the uk your can change your car and home  insurance company every week but 1 can u do the same in france and 2 do i have to have house insurance in france ie bricks and morter insurance not contents insurance